Week 3: CIN Bengals vs NY Jets

Bobby816

Fant is trash at LT. He  will not be back after this season, they need to address LT. Hopefully Max Mitchell can show that he is the future at RT. 

13 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

To be fair with Douglas on the free agent pick ups most free agent signings are busts. The best ones are usually the value ones and he’s hit enough to be comfortable and it’s not like he’s signing Trumaine Johnson year in, year out. Lawson I can at least give him some time because he hasn’t played and he’s also rotating far too often to establish any consistency 

These rotations on the DL are too extreme, they need to redo the entire DL. Why is JFM playing DE? He is near 300 lbs, he should be playing DT, his better position.  Then maybe work in someone like Bryce Huff who can bring some speed rush. Martin has been horrible.

• Like 1

Biggest takeaways.

Our weapons didn't show up. 1st 2 drives should've been TDs. And that changes the whole vibe of the game.

Hall drops a 1st down to bring us inside the 20 on a ball thrown behind him, but is 100% catchable. That play HAS to be made. 2nd drive, same thing. Moore doesn't go up and win the ball to make it very likely we score a TD.

This is our revamped weapons. They need to win these balls. Period. It at the end of the day isn't on MLF or Flacco. Those plays are plays that are drawn up relying on your more talented playmaker to win like they should, and they didn't. There's nothing more a OC and QB can do than give that player a chance to make a play.

Next issue is Fant. He's going to be awful all year. I know it. I'm just happy JD didn't pay him. Because if people remember, he was complaining about not getting paid this last offseason after having 1 good season in his whole career last year. And he's showing us all why. Problem is is that when Brown comes back, I have a feeling we just move Fant to RT. When based on play. Fant should see the bench and Mitchell should stay at RT. And beyond that, for team building we need Mitchell at RT. We bench Mitchell and start Fant. That in essence leaves us with no starting OTs that we know are healthy or starting worthy. That's awful. Let Mitchell start at RT when Brown returns, PLEASE!!!

I absolutely HATE our defensive schemes. It seems to go out of our way to have our best players not in the situations that suit them. Ulbreich for me is on the hot seat. And until he shows me otherwise, I want him gone.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I just don't understand how we walked away with one sack to a team that gave up 13 in two games. It's unfathomable how long we've been piss poor at generating sacks and this year we are extra bad at getting off on 3rd downs.

That is a good question, would love to hear the answer to that. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Biggest takeaways.

Our weapons didn't show up. 1st 2 drives should've been TDs. And that changes the whole vibe of the game.

Hall drops a 1st down to bring us inside the 20 on a ball thrown behind him, but is 100% catchable. That play HAS to be made. 2nd drive, same thing. Moore doesn't go up and win the ball to make it very likely we score a TD.

This is our revamped weapons. They need to win these balls. Period. It at the end of the day isn't on MLF or Flacco. Those plays are plays that are drawn up relying on your more talented playmaker to win like they should, and they didn't. There's nothing more a OC and QB can do than give that player a chance to make a play.

Next issue is Fant. He's going to be awful all year. I know it. I'm just happy JD didn't pay him. Because if people remember, he was complaining about not getting paid this last offseason after having 1 good season in his whole career last year. And he's showing us all why. Problem is is that when Brown comes back, I have a feeling we just move Fant to RT. When based on play. Fant should see the bench and Mitchell should stay at RT. And beyond that, for team building we need Mitchell at RT. We bench Mitchell and start Fant. That in essence leaves us with no starting OTs that we know are healthy or starting worthy. That's awful. Let Mitchell start at RT when Brown returns, PLEASE!!!

I absolutely HATE our defensive schemes. It seems to go out of our way to have our best players not in the situations that suit them. Ulbreich for me is on the hot seat. And until he shows me otherwise, I want him gone.

Interesting, this much I strongly disagree with. 

Every time I see cut-ups of the all-22, it's very apparent our guys are getting open. Even in real time, I think it's easy to see how much of the field Flacco consistently misses. Hall had 9 targets in the first half, love that we're getting him involved, but part of that is Flacco not keeping his eyes down field - he's averaging 5.8 YPA. Flacco is blatantly not seeing the field, our guys are winning and not getting a chance, how is that not on the QB?   

Why are we throwing jump balls to our 5'8 WR? Moore's chance's should be horizontal, or at least deep cutting routes, playing to his strength (quickness). And yet, most of his opportunities yesterday came on go routes. Either he's not supposed to be the first/second read there, or MLF is doing a poor job of putting him in a position to succeed. Very rarely did he call any designed timing routes to get Moore the ball the ball in space. Moore isn't a jump ball receiver, that's on the OC.

With Flacco consistently missing opportunities down field, it's nearly impossible to sustain drives - the burden is on our receivers to win twice as often, it's on MLF to expand his playbook because we're wasting effective calls. 

This is on Flacco, not our weapons IMO. I've been a big advocate of MLF.. Moore's usage yesterday was puzzling, but hard to tell who's to blame without knowing the call.

Ulbrich should just be let go. Bring in Vic Fangio to teach Saleh how to coach a defense yet a again and let our Cheerleader continue to blow smoke up everyone's ***. Fangio would absolutely get the most out of this defense where its keeping us in games. We thought we would at least be competitive, we haven't. Anyone who thought we were competitive yesterday or even against the Ravens is setting the bar as low as it could go. I just don't think this is going to end well. I remain adamant that Joe Douglas has done a good job tearing apart this team and rebuilding the foundation the correct way. He isn't perfect but he is an above average GM who has unfortunately made a below average HC hire. We could essentially let go of Lawson, Davis, Fant, McGovern, JFM and CJ Mosley and have nearly $80 mil in cap that is essentially going to below average players or players that are hurting us more than they are helping. A professional staff with the young talent we have...likely premium draft capital yet again and probably a few more day 2-3 picks from deadline moves and maybe a real HC and staff could turn this thing into a winning program. Saleh wont do it. He doesn't have ability to scheme. The sooner we realize he was a mistake the better. They'll never win with this group. 

Flacco throwing a jump ball to 5'8 Moore on 4th & 5 with Wilson/Conklin streaking free for a would be first:

In all likelihood Moore's supposed to be a decoy here to clear space for Conklin and freeze the high safety for Wilson. Works perfectly, Flacco just misses. Rinse & repeat. You can pick out a handful of these drive killing decisions (or lack there of) in all three games.

2 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Interesting, this much I strongly disagree with. 

Every time I see cut-ups of the all-22, it's very apparent our guys are getting open. Even in real time, I think it's easy to see how much of the field Flacco consistently misses. Hall had 9 targets in the first half, love that we're getting him involved, but part of that is Flacco not keeping his eyes down field - he's averaging 5.8 YPA. Flacco is blatantly not seeing the field, our guys are winning and not getting a chance, how is that not on the QB?   

Why are we throwing jump balls to our 5'8 WR? Moore's chance's should be horizontal, or at least deep cutting routes, playing to his strength (quickness). And yet, most of his opportunities yesterday came on go routes. Either he's not supposed to be the first/second read there, or MLF is doing a poor job of putting him in a position to succeed. Very rarely did he call any designed timing routes to get Moore the ball the ball in space. Moore isn't a jump ball receiver, that's on the OC.

With Flacco consistently missing opportunities down field, it's nearly impossible to sustain drives - the burden is on our receivers to win twice as often, it's on MLF to expand his playbook because we're wasting effective calls. 

This is on Flacco, not our weapons IMO. I've been a big advocate of MLF.. Moore's usage yesterday was puzzling, but hard to tell who's to blame without knowing the call.

I 100% don't think Flacco was good. And hopefully that was his last week starting for us. But the playmakers were not impressive yesterday. We for decades have been able to have excuses bc the weapons weren't even there. But they are here now. And they didn't make plays. Should Moore he getting jump balls? No. But at the end of the day, he should be coming down with 50/50 balls. Hall should be able to catch a ball slightly behind him. etc.

I also stated that it set the tome for the game. These were our 1st 2 drives these plays. That's the difference of a 14 points instead of 6. That's HUGE. 

2 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Flacco throwing a jump ball to 5'8 Moore on 4th & 5 with Wilson/Conklin streaking free for a would be first:

In all likelihood Moore's supposed to be a decoy here to clear space for Conklin and freeze the high safety for Wilson. Works perfectly, Flacco just misses. Rinse & repeat. You can pick out a handful of these drive killing decisions (or lack there of) in all three games.

What was worse that the throw to Moore was short. Moore had the step on the DB but Flacco made the catch way harder than it needed to be by shorting it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Biggest takeaways.

I was always lukewarm about Fant, his career year was still worse than Becton's rookie season.  

I really want to keep playing Mitchell at RT, he rated really well and is actually rating as the best rookie OT right now.  Him becoming a solid starting RT for us would be huge, because then we have a cheap starting RT for the next few seasons. Finding starters on the OL in mid rounds is important. 

Our defensive scheme is pathetic, something about it doesn't flow right. I watch other teams running zones like the 49ers, they flow better. Ours is a mess. A lot of it is our safeties are terrible, you need good safeties to have a good zone defense.  Then it takes away our defense strength. We have legit 2 stud CBs with Gardner and Reed, the best CBs we had since Revis and Cromartie. Yet, we often do these stupid zones and allow WRs to go uncovered instead of locking these dudes on top WRs and let them work. 

The defense is soft, creates little pressure, and often screws up in zone and leaves someone wide open. 

I much much rather start Davis at FS over Joyner, at least Davis is young and has a nose for getting INTs at times. Whitehead has to play better, I liked the signing but he hasn't been good yet. 

What I would change on defense with players.

Start Davis over Joyner at FS.

Move JFM to DT full time, stop this nonsense of having him as a DE. He is too slow for DE. QBs often get outside of him, he is at his best as a DT.

Activate Bryce Huff and play him over Martin, I think Huff would bring needed speed and bring edge pressure. Look at the game film vs the Titans last season, Huff was a big reason why we had so many sacks.

Rethink these rotations, they are limiting our best players and putting inferior guys on the field. Its hard to get things going with how extreme our rotations are.

Stop with the constant getting cute with zone, we need to allow Gardner and Reed to lock onto their guys more. We are giving up TDs constantly because we'll have the CB falling off to allow a safety who is consistently messing up trying to cover the spot, it allows wide open TDs. 

Saleh is HC, he needs to start looking for answers on defense and as HC he needs to rethink what Ulbrich is doing because he is clearly horrible at his job.  I would think that the first move is Ulbrich is going to end up fired before Saleh, but at the end he is in charge of his staff and if a coach isn't getting it done he needs to find someone who can get the job done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I 100% don't think Flacco was good. And hopefully that was his last week starting for us. But the playmakers were not impressive yesterday. We for decades have been able to have excuses bc the weapons weren't even there. But they are here now. And they didn't make plays. Should Moore he getting jump balls? No. But at the end of the day, he should be coming down with 50/50 balls. Hall should be able to catch a ball slightly behind him. etc.

I also stated that it set the tome for the game. These were our 1st 2 drives these plays. That's the difference of a 14 points instead of 6. That's HUGE. 

Those deep attempts to Moore were all jump balls, there wasn't one I remember being '50/50'.

Outside of Hall's drop I'm really not sure what you're referring to. Maybe I missed it. Guys were running open all game, including those first two drives, Flacco missed them. They made plays, just not got the ball.

5 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Those deep attempts to Moore were all jump balls, there wasn't one I remember being '50/50'.

Outside of Hall's drop I'm really not sure what you're referring to. Maybe I missed it. Guys were running open all game, including those first two drives, Flacco missed them. They made plays, just not got the ball.

I think we got so comfortable in the PA game and all. And just kept doing that. Our OL isn't good enough to do that and we weren't running the ball affectively for it to work.

Game plan has to change. With Wilson back, we have mobility now. So I don't want us to change it drastically quite yet.

I see what you're saying. But when you spend quality picks on playmakers... they need to make plays. And they were given some opportunities and they weren't making them. Is using Moore on a jump ball that was 50/50 the best way to use him? No. But he's a playmaker and should be making plays. Hall shouldn't be dropping that pass. Wilson has had several drops in these 1st few weeks that's not being talked about. The skill positions talent is there. They just aren't using it fully.