Rhianna to perform at Super Bowl Halftime Show

RaidersAreOne

4 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I just put on Anti after I saw this thread. I was really disappointed she would put out her best project and then go completely ghost with music, but I mean she has other priorities with being a mogul in fashion and obviously being a mom now too.

I keep forgetting how much money Kanye has.

He actually could buy an NFL team.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Not my preference, but the Superbowl halftime show seems exclusively more R&B/rap oriented now.

The NFL probably thinks they are pushing "diversity" with that move lol

Ehh I don’t think it’s that.

At the end of the day, American football is just such an incredibly superior and entertaining product that they don’t need to market themselves. I like the NBA, but they have to manufacture TMZ drama to make their product appeal to teens who don’t have money.

How many times have we heard “the NBA is going to catch the NFL!!!!” Then you see the ratings and it’s not even close. Then people say “well young people stream!” Well okay, so they’re not even watching full games? How are advertisers going to make money when they know you’re not watching a product?

The only thing the NFL needs to advertise is what time and channel a specific game is on. However, culturally we know Sundays are the NFLs day. It’s why you don’t see commercials for Lambos.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Anti came out in 2016 and was one of the best/successful albums of the 2010s and spawned hella hits.  Certified triple platinum and numerous songs hit #1.  That album skyrocketed her popularity, not that she wasn't already popular but was such a shift in energy/tone.  

Some crazy slander in this thread.  Too often people think their opinion about music is absolute (not pointing a finger at you specifically D82).  Rihanna is one of the most accomplished artists of all-time.  You may not like her brand of music, but to suggest she isn't a good artist is absolute bonkers lol 

I said I like her…I just don’t classify her as someone among the likes of the Stones or The Who. 

9 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Anti came out in 2016 and was one of the best/successful albums of the 2010s and spawned hella hits.  Certified triple platinum and numerous songs hit #1.  That album skyrocketed her popularity, not that she wasn't already popular but was such a shift in energy/tone.  

Some crazy slander in this thread.  Too often people think their opinion about music is absolute (not pointing a finger at you specifically D82).  Rihanna is one of the most accomplished artists of all-time.  You may not like her brand of music, but to suggest she isn't a good artist is absolute bonkers lol 

The only banger on that album is the one with Drake in it.

15 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

The only banger on that album is the one with Drake in it.

That is quite the opinion to have, but clearly thousands of other people disagree.

Again, music is subjective.  I don't give a damn about The Who or The Rolling Stones (nor do I know anyone in my life who does), but I won't say anything critical about any album they put out... because it isn't my taste and it isn't for me.  Considering the numbers that album did, I feel confident in saying it definitely had more than one banger.  

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Ehh I don’t think it’s that.

At the end of the day, American football is just such an incredibly superior and entertaining product that they don’t need to market themselves. I like the NBA, but they have to manufacture TMZ drama to make their product appeal to teens who don’t have money.

Confusing post.  How is this not the NFL marketing themselves with this move?  You are really underplaying the popularity and impact of Rihanna.

The real reason the halftime show is more Rap/R&B orientated nowadays is because that is the most dominant genre in America.  Rihanna can do both that and pop.  

18 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

How is this not the NFL marketing themselves with this move?

They could have gone with whoever is more popular now.

You’re trying to put me into a old boomer category I don’t belong in. I’m actually on the opposite end. I think Rihanna is too old for what the NFL is trying to do.

27 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

That is quite the opinion to have, but clearly thousands of other people disagree.

Again, music is subjective.  I don't give a damn about The Who or The Rolling Stones (nor do I know anyone in my life who does), but I won't say anything critical about any album they put out... because it isn't my taste and it isn't for me.  Considering the numbers that album did, I feel confident in saying it definitely had more than one banger.  

Are Drake and Bad Bunny the greatest musicians in human history? The downloads and streams say they are.

10 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Are Drake and Bad Bunny the greatest musicians in human history? The downloads and streams say they are.

What point do you think you are proving by saying this?

I don't listen to the kind of music Bad Bunny puts out, but I won't call it trash because I don't listen to it and it isn't for me. Because, again, music is subjective.

It is like me saying Yo Gabba Gabba is a trash TV show, as if it is geared towards me.  

And Bad Bunny doesn't come even close to the accomplishments Rihanna has racked up.  She is the 2nd highest selling female artist of all-time and has a crazy amount of number one hits.  If we are actually making an effort to be objective, then there is no rationale for calling Rihanna a bad artist unless you don't listen to her genre of music.  DawgX said Rihanna wasn't very good, which is just crazy to me.  Maybe she isn't very good to him, and that is fine, because again... music is subjective.  But there is a reason she has been as successful as she has been and why people are still begging for her to put out another album.

Edited by iknowcool

24 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

They could have gone with whoever is more popular now.

I think Rihanna is too old for what the NFL is trying to do.

1. I don't think you quite realize how popular Rihanna is then.  If Rihanna dropped a single or album right now, it would chart #1 almost instantly (unless it was complete and utter trash... unlikely).  She isn't some whatever artist that people forget about after not dropping something for 2 years.  If anything, her not dropping has only made it more likely fans of hers will tune into the halftime show to get their fix

2. Dude, Rihanna is 34 years old.  You act like her last album was 15 years ago.  Did you also argue Kendrick Lamar was too old for the halftime show?  Beyonce?  Maroon 5?  Timberlake?  Coldplay?  She is younger than all of them when they did halftime shows.  She is around the same age as when Bruno Mars, Katy Perry, and The Weeknd did their halftime shows. 

Who do you think is both more popular and younger than Rihanna that would have made more sense for the halftime show?

Edited by iknowcool

21 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

What point do you think you are proving by saying this?

I don't listen to the kind of music Bad Bunny puts out, but I won't call it trash because I don't listen to it and it isn't for me. Because, again, music is subjective.

It is like me saying Yo Gabba Gabba is a trash TV show, as if it is geared towards me.  

And Bad Bunny doesn't come even close to the accomplishments Rihanna has racked up.  She is the 2nd highest selling female artist of all-time and has a crazy amount of number one hits.  If we are actually making an effort to be objective, then there is no rationale for calling Rihanna a bad artist unless you don't listen to her genre of music.  DawgX said Rihanna wasn't very good, which is just crazy to me.  Maybe she isn't very good to him, and that is fine, because again... music is subjective.  But there is a reason she has been as successful as she has been and why people are still begging for her to put out another album.

I want you to do me a favor.

1. Click on the last page or stay on the current page.

2. Use the find / search feature on your phone / tablet / PC. Type in the worst “trash” “garbage” “awful” “terrible”

Tell me how many results you get. 

Also, Bad Bunny is MASSIVE in South America and I believe Europe. He’s bigger in those places than Rihanna. You’re viewing through an America lense.

Edited by candyman93

17 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Dude, Rihanna is 34 years old.  You act like her last album was 15 years ago.  Did you also argue Kendrick Lamar was too old for the halftime show?  Beyonce?  Maroon 5?  Timberlake?  Coldplay?  She is younger than all of them when they did halftime shows.  She is around the same age as when Bruno Mars, Katy Perry, and The Weeknd did their halftime shows. 

Who do you think is both more popular and younger than Rihanna that would have made more sense for the halftime show?

I don’t understand what the issue is.

If the NFL is trying to be hip and culturally relevant. Why do they not reach out to an artist that is more hip and culturally relevant. ET touched on it, she’s probably got pull among the mid 30’s types.

You’re completely ignoring that Rihanna is a mom and business woman now. Not really an artist.

46 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

1. Click on the last page or stay on the current page.

2. Use the find / search feature on your phone / tablet / PC. Type in the worst “trash” “garbage” “awful” “terrible”

Tell me how many results you get. 

Lol what are you talking about?  Did I ever accuse you or anyone of using those words?  

Also, Bad Bunny is MASSIVE in South America and I believe Europe. He’s bigger in those places than Rihanna. You’re viewing through an America lense.

I wonder why I would be discussing the artists in the context of the Super Bowl Halftime Show through an American lens. 

EDIT - I will say though I do underestimate Bad Bunny's popularity, but it is the same thing I've argued you doing for Rihanna.  I don't listen to Bad Bunny, so it is hard for me to grasp just how popular he is.  And I'm guessing you don't listen to Rihanna, so it is probably difficult for you to grasp just how popular she is.

Edited by iknowcool