NFLPA investigating handling of Dolphins QB Tagovailoa’s concussion check

RaidersAreOne

On 9/26/2022 at 10:37 AM, DontTazeMeBro said:

You safety fanatics can’t ever talk about this without being hysterical. I said IF HE WANTS TO. If he didn’t want to it would’ve been fine. He did. 

And it’s not just a week 3 game. That game could keep them from having to go to Buffalo in January. You already know this so I don’t know why I’m even typing it.

Isn't there a league wide agreed concussion protocol to stop players taking teams/nfl to court for millions later in life? If yes, no matter what Tua wants to do, he gets no say as it's a league wide rule. NFL will probably try and sweep this under the carpet though

Tua shouldn’t have reentered the game. If it wasn’t a concussion, it was an injury that resulted him having weakness. Pain don’t not result in him appearing catatonic. The differential is transient quadriplegia or concussion. Either way, you’d have to be a crap sports Med doc to get him back on the field. Even if he passed the concussion tests, it doesn’t exclude the other badness that can happen with a second-hit phenomenon 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Tua shouldn’t have reentered the game. If it wasn’t a concussion, it was an injury that resulted him having weakness. Pain don’t not result in him appearing catatonic. The differential is transient quadriplegia or concussion. Either way, you’d have to be a crap sports Med doc to get him back on the field. Even if he passed the concussion tests, it doesn’t exclude the other badness that can happen with a second-hit phenomenon 

I'd like to think the Dolphins wouldn't do something so stupid and easily proven as ignoring the NFL's independent head trauma physician, so I don't really doubt that he "cleared" the concussion protocol as set forth by the league. The league office knows who the physician is who was assigned to the Dolphins/Bills game, so it's simply a matter of asking him.

If he did indeed clear the league's protocol's despite having a concussion, the fault either lies with the protocols themselves or that physician being negligent. I'd imagine the things the NFLPA are investigating are:

1. Whether the Dolphins willfully violated protocols (I'd like to believe this isn't the case, due to how transparent the process is).
  2. If they did not, determine whether Tua legitimately passed the protocols or if the physician was negligent.
  3. If the physician followed the protocols, determine if the protocols themselves are either faulty and allowed for him to slip through the cracks, or if he actually had no concussion.
37 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

There is just so much shadiness surrounding the Dolphins right now 

Fwiw, the official reason he's listed as questionable is the back spasms that were officially blamed for his stumble following the hit.

I honestly don't know what to believe. I'm not a medical expert so I'm incredibly curious as to what comes of this. One thing I do know, however, is that the process is set up to prevent both the team and the player from making that call themselves.

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I'd like to think the Dolphins wouldn't do something so stupid and easily proven as ignoring the NFL's independent head trauma physician, so I don't really doubt that he "cleared" the concussion protocol as set forth by the league. The league office knows who the physician is who was assigned to the Dolphins/Bills game, so it's simply a matter of asking him.

If he did indeed clear the league's protocol's despite having a concussion, the fault either lies with the protocols themselves or that physician being negligent. I'd imagine the things the NFLPA are investigating are:

1. Whether the Dolphins willfully violated protocols (I'd like to believe this isn't the case, due to how transparent the process is).
  2. If they did not, determine whether Tua legitimately passed the protocols or if the physician was negligent.
  3. If the physician followed the protocols, determine if the protocols themselves are faulty (or if he actually had no concussion).

Fwiw, the official reason he's listed as questionable is the back spasms that were officially blamed for his stumble following the hit.

I honestly don't know what to believe. I'm not a medical expert so I'm incredibly curious as to what comes of this.

I do sports Med. Everyone who knows anything about the case that I’ve spoke to think that it’s nuts. You see the video…you can throw the concussion protocol and testing out the window. The docs clearly had a favorable test result and used it to defy basic medical judgement. My 11 year old knows about about sports injury to know that you don’t return Tua. 

9 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I do sports Med. Everyone who knows anything about the case that I’ve spoke to think that it’s nuts. You see the video…you can throw the concussion protocol and testing out the window. The docs clearly had a favorable test result and used it to defy basic medical judgement. My 11 year old knows about about sports injury to know that you don’t return Tua. 

I believe you, but at least one physician disagrees with you - the one who cleared him (assuming, again, that the Dolphins didn't blatantly bypass the independent physician). Granted, it's entirely possible (perhaps even probable) that individual was negligent or biased (they are supposedly assigned by the league, not the team, though).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

So let me make sure I am understanding this correctly he is correctly he is expected to play with a back injury he also has an ankle injury but there is no mention of the head injury he supposedly suffered during Sunday's game?

The official explanation is there was no head injury (as he allegedly passed the concussion protocol), and he stumbled because his back locked up due to the back injury. Whether you believe that is up to you.

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I believe you, but at least one physician disagrees with you - the one who cleared him (assuming, again, that the Dolphins didn't blatantly bypass the independent physician). Granted, it's entirely possible (perhaps even probable) that individual was negligent or biased (they are supposedly assigned by the league, not the team, though).

Agreed. I didn’t see or evaluate Tua. But it makes me wonder if the doc even saw the injury. A lot is happening during a game. It’s not uncommon to miss seeing an injury because your busy tending to another injury. if someone doesn’t see the video and his neuro exam/screenings are normal…then you can easily miss it. 

Im not casting blame…but absolutely, it looks bad. There is just no way someone can see the video and send the player into the game shortly after.