NFLPA investigating handling of Dolphins QB Tagovailoa’s concussion check

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

You safety fanatics can’t ever talk about this without being hysterical. I said IF HE WANTS TO. If he didn’t want to it would’ve been fine. He did. 

And it’s not just a week 3 game. That game could keep them from having to go to Buffalo in January. You already know this so I don’t know why I’m even typing it.

Safety fanatics lol

Let's bring back leather helmets yall. start head hunting again. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

You safety fanatics can’t ever talk about this without being hysterical. I said IF HE WANTS TO. If he didn’t want to it would’ve been fine. He did. 

I’m shocked this needs to be said at this point, but the whole problem with concussions is that the players don’t realize it as it’s happening. No one says “oof, I can feel the CTE coming in.” You err on the side of caution because that crap can have permanent, lifelong results on your freaking brain. 

But I guess saying a concussed player shouldn’t be the one making the call on his playing status makes me a safety fanatic. LOL.

11 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

And it’s not just a week 3 game. That game could keep them from having to go to Buffalo in January. You already know this so I don’t know why I’m even typing it.

Or it could be meaningless as Miami goes winless the rest of the season. You don’t play through brain injuries because 5-6 months from now you might get a home game out of it. 😂

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

36 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

dd0.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I’m shocked this needs to be said at this point, but the whole problem with concussions is that the players don’t realize it as it’s happening. No one says “oof, I can feel the CTE coming in.” You err on the side of caution because that crap can have permanent, lifelong results on your freaking brain. 

But I guess saying a concussed player shouldn’t be the one making the call on his playing status makes me a safety fanatic. LOL.

Or it could be meaningless as Miami goes winless the rest of the season. You don’t play through brain injuries because 5-6 months from now you might get a home game out of it. 😂

You don’t even know that he was concussed. They did clear him. And do we even know if it’s possible to play in the NFL for a long time and not get CTE? Have they ever examined an NFL player’s brain and not found it? That’s an honest question because it feels like they’re batting a thousand on that one

1 minute ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

You don’t even know that he was concussed. They did clear him. And do we even know if it’s possible to play in the NFL for a long time and not get CTE? Have they ever examined an NFL player’s brain and not found it? That’s an honest question because it feels like they’re batting a thousand on that one

You can’t truly know that on the sideline. That’s why you err on the side of caution. Because the consequences are so severe. 

When is the absolute worst time to take a hit to the head? When you already think you’re concussed. When is a QB least likely to pull himself out of a game? When it’s close in the 4th quarter. When is an athlete least likely to realize they’re suffering from a concussion? As it’s happening. These safety measures were put in place as a small way to address the years of grievances from retired players, complaining that the league should’ve done more for their health. 

So at the most in-opportune moment, when Tua is least likely to be coherent enough to make the call but also most at risk of exacerbating the condition, after years and years of NFLPA and studies and personal anecdotes, you want the concussed guy to have the sole power to force himself out the game. All in a Week 3 matchup where maybe if the team stays healthy, maybe if they keep winning, maybe if they make playoffs, maybe if they win a game or two, maybe if they’re matched up vs Buffalo, maybe if they beat Buffalo, maybe if they make the SB….they could then maybe win the SB. All it cost was substantial(ly more) risk to…let’s see: your long term brain function.

If Tua suffered a few big concussions and then this offseason he mulled retirement, but ultimately decided to come back? Different story. Most would still maybe recommend he consider his future more, but he’s in a normal state of mind and he can make that decision. That’s completely different from the moment it happens.

I don’t know the answer to your question. I do know that the premise of playing through concussions in Week 3 to potentially get a home game in the playoffs, is insanely stupid and irresponsible.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I don’t know the answer to your question. I do know that the premise of playing through concussions in Week 3 to potentially get a home game in the playoffs, is insanely stupid and irresponsible.

See that’s your opinion though. Everyone isn’t wired like that. Some people would be content to just be rich and live out their life traveling and playing golf. Other people want to accomplish things and be great. It’s like the Iliad. Achilles has the choice to gain glory and die young, or to live a long but uneventful life in obscurity. He chooses the former and becomes the greatest Greek warrior.Ya know?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

See that’s your opinion though. Everyone isn’t wired like that. Some people would be content to just be rich and live out their life traveling and playing golf. Other people want to accomplish things and be great. It’s like the Iliad. Achilles has the choice to gain glory and die young, or to live a long but uneventful life in obscurity. He chooses the former and becomes the greatest Greek warrior.Ya know?

There’s a difference. Ronnie Coleman looks back and says he has no regrets, because he was the greatest bodybuilder ever. Sure, he can barely walk now, but for him, it was worth it. That’s fine.

The difference is that a player isn’t in the same mental state to make that decision, nor do in most cases do they even realize the damage that’s being done until way, way later. It’s a recipe for disaster. It’s like someone who’s drunk telling you that they’re good to drive.

• Like 2