Halloween Films for 2022

RavensTillIDie

What are some of your top recommendations for Halloween/scary movies/series this month?

Lot of exciting titles coming to Netflix with Cabinet of Curiosities and The Midnight Club, but in terms of what's currently available, starting off I'll go with:

Midnight Mass

"Midnight Mass is an American supernatural horror streaming television miniseries created and directed by Mike Flanagan and starring Zach Gilford, Kate Siegel, Hamish Linklater, Samantha Sloyan, Rahul Kohli, Kristin Lehman, and Henry Thomas. The plot centers on an impoverished island community that experiences supernatural events after the arrival of a mysterious priest"

Midnight_Mass_S1_Poster.jpg

Marianne

"Marianne is a French horror streaming television series created and directed by Samuel Bodin, written by Bodin and Quoc Dang Tran and starring Victoire Du Bois, Lucie Boujenah and Tiphaine Daviot. The plot revolves around the young novelist Emma who realizes that the characters she writes in her horror novels are also in the real world."

marianne-french-movie-poster-md.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Just watched Midnight Mass. Very intense with an incredible lead performance, but didn't really stick the landing to me.

Same. Was pretty hyped about this for the first few episodes, but it lost so much steam towards the end that it ended up going in reverse.

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Same. Was pretty hyped about this for the first few episodes, but it lost so much steam towards the end that it ended up going in reverse.

Considering the quality of alot of horror'ish stuff these days, MM was a masterpiece IMO. 

But ya, it started so strong and slowly lost steam. Hamish was a joy to watch throughout the whole series though. Seriously one of my favorite performances ever. 

Outside of the obvious here are some good ones well worth checking out and watching.

*Manhunter (1986)  
*The Wailing (2016)
*Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941)
*The Body Snatcher (1945)
*Lord of Illusions
*Jacob's Ladder
*Nosferatu: Phantom Der Nacht
*Byzantium
*It Follows
*Altered (2006)
*Doctor Sleep
*Mary Reilly (1996)
*It Comes at Night
*The Little Girl who Lives Down the Lane
*Super Dark Times

On 10/3/2022 at 10:03 AM, Bullet Club said:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers-1978

I like that one, they show it on TV a ton the last few years which is good because before that I honestly have never heard of it.  The Body Snatcher 1945, not connected to that one in any way is a standout classic horror movie, very underrated and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde 1941 is super underrated, not even sure one can get it on Netflix but it is a great classic horror movie as well.  

Lord of Illusions is another one, never seen it before last year but was on TV and caught it and I liked it, little cheesy at some spots but overall was pretty solid.  I think it is the station 'thisTV' which also shows Invasion of the Body Snatchers a lot as well especially around Halloween.  

7 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

As long as we don't mention the sequel...i haven't seen it yet but i already know it's going to suck and is blasphemy

I saw it for fun, and it's exactly that, unabated nostalgic fun. People forget the original has a ~30% rotten tomatoes rating; it's a cult classic, not a critic's choice award winner.

It's worth a watch if you have kids or just want a nostalgic throwback, but if you're expecting anything beyond that you'll certainly be disappointed.

53 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I saw it for fun, and it's exactly that, unabated nostalgic fun. People forget the original has a ~30% rotten tomatoes rating; it's a cult classic, not a critic's choice award winner.

It's worth a watch if you have kids or just want a nostalgic throwback, but if you're expecting anything beyond that you'll certainly be disappointed.

Exactly. It's not good, it's just 90s nostalgia.