Halloween Films for 2022

RavensTillIDie

I watched Hocus Pocus 2 the other day and didn’t hate it. All the “woke” things in it were expected, like the majority minority casting despite Salem being one of America’s whitest towns. It also had a habit of making all the white characters dumb as a box of rocks lol. But it was cute and I’d watch it again. I don’t have the nostalgia pull though since I hadn’t seen the original til last year. 

With all this Hocus Pocus 2 bull, how about a real Witch movie, first full length film Anya Taylor-Joy has ever been in, The Witch 2015.   And she is now one of the best young actresses in the world not to mention one of the most gorgeous women alive and a fashion icon.   The Witch is wonderfully shot, very artistic and pretty damn creepy as well.

As for Hocus Pocus 2, it is just a money grab and doubt there is much worth while about it at all outside of someone thinking they are special because they can view it, no you just have Disney Plus, that is not an accomplishment.  Lucky for Disney they can produce crap and people like it and think it is exclusive or something.

And what horror movie topic would be complete with out the amazing films made based on all the wonderful stories created by Stephen King!  Sure I forgot some as well.

The Shining (1980)
Carrie (1976)
Pet Sematary (1989)
Storm of the Century (1999) TV Mini-series
Misery (1990)
It (1990) TV Mini-series
Doctor Sleep  (2019)
The Outsider (2020) TV Mini-series
The Mist (2007)
Dolores Claiborne (1995)
The Dead Zone (1983)
The Stand (1994) TV Mini series
Children of the Corn (1984)
The Dark Tower (2017)7)
The Night Flier (1997)

The TV mini-series of Storm of the Century I love!  The Outside I really like especially the first three episodes, The Stand remake I was not a huge fan of but the older one was ok but long, and 'It' the original I like but sure is long but Tim Curry is a superior Pennywise I feel but sure some parts were cheesy overall in that film but the remake is nothing amazing no way.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

And what horror movie topic would be complete with out the amazing films made based on all the wonderful stories created by Stephen King!  Sure I forgot some as well.

The Shining (1980)
Carrie (1976)
Pet Sematary (1989)
Storm of the Century (1999) TV Mini-series
Misery (1990)
It (1990) TV Mini-series
Doctor Sleep  (2019)
The Outsider (2020) TV Mini-series
The Mist (2007)
Dolores Claiborne (1995)
The Dead Zone (1983)
The Stand (1994) TV Mini series
Children of the Corn (1984)
The Dark Tower (2017)7)
The Night Flier (1997)

The TV mini-series of Storm of the Century I love!  The Outside I really like especially the first three episodes, The Stand remake I was not a huge fan of but the older one was ok but long, and 'It' the original I like but sure is long but Tim Curry is a superior Pennywise I feel but sure some parts were cheesy overall in that film but the remake is nothing amazing no way.

Yeah, Dr. Sleep was awesome. It had emphasis on characters and really took its time to world build. I only wish it was a 7 part Netflix season, as Mike Flannigan excels at that. I know nothing about The Shining except for osmosis, and I never felt like I needed to. What I already knew from just being alive was enough. Great atmospheric movie, and a perfect Halloween spooky movie watch that's more elevated than the usual fare. Most of my friends haven't bothered to watch it, and they are really missing out. Might be the best vampire movie that I have seen. It's lowkey often, with some memorable horrific scenes. Masterclass in filmmaking. They aren't shy about doing some things that Hereditary does. It's also Ewen McGregor's best acting performance that I have seen. The movie's opening is just perfect too.

Also the IT movies are both trash.

• Like 2

On 10/3/2022 at 10:02 AM, MikeT14 said:

Wife and I are gonna run through the Final Destination movies this month. I've only seen the first two and probably not since high school, so almost 20 years. 

I'm excited for you. All of those movies are a treat

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I watched Hocus Pocus 2 the other day and didn’t hate it. All the “woke” things in it were expected, like the majority minority casting despite Salem being one of America’s whitest towns. It also had a habit of making all the white characters dumb as a box of rocks lol. But it was cute and I’d watch it again. I don’t have the nostalgia pull though since I hadn’t seen the original til last year. 

Thought it was a solid follow up, which after 29 years is an accomplishment.

Just like the original it’s mostly the adults and the witches that come off as dumb, teens being the smarter ones. Which I think going in I forgot that yeah this is a kids movie sequel. The beginning was a little Disney channelish, but solid cast and some funny bits. Not perfect but solid. 

Pleasant surprise of having Tony Hale and Sam Richardson in it. 

On 10/3/2022 at 11:02 AM, MikeT14 said:

Wife and I are gonna run through the Final Destination movies this month. I've only seen the first two and probably not since high school, so almost 20 years. 

Franchise sticks with you man, some of those deaths. Has had me freaked out about following logging trucks since it came out.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, kokichi said:

Yeah, Dr. Sleep was awesome. It had emphasis on characters and really took its time to world build. I only wish it was a 7 part Netflix season, as Mike Flannigan excels at that. I know nothing about The Shining except for osmosis, and I never felt like I needed to. What I already knew from just being alive was enough. Great atmospheric movie, and a perfect Halloween spooky movie watch that's more elevated than the usual fare. Most of my friends haven't bothered to watch it, and they are really missing out. Might be the best vampire movie that I have seen. It's lowkey often, with some memorable horrific scenes. Masterclass in filmmaking. They aren't shy about doing some things that Hereditary does. It's also Ewen McGregor's best acting performance that I have seen. The movie's opening is just perfect too.

Really like Doctor Sleep, they were talking about a follow up that got canceled right?

I thought the first IT worked because of that like Amblin effect with the Kids, solid start middle finish. Part two was disappointing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Really like Doctor Sleep, they were talking about a follow up that got canceled right?

I thought the first IT worked because of that like Amblin effect with the Kids, solid start middle finish. Part two was disappointing.

The only good thing about IT part 1 was the interaction with the kids. The opening scene was awesome, but I hate horror movies where the villian can do whatever the movie decides they should do, and it got boring.

13 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Franchise sticks with you man, some of those deaths. Has had me freaked out about following logging trucks since it came out.

They could really produce a Final Destination movie every year and it would be awesome.

Hire cheap actors and invent new creative deaths.

Love the "fake out" deaths too.

Really, Final Destination 1 is the worst by far because it took itself way too seriously. They later figured out the tone, and drastically improved the franchise.

I haven't been to the movie theaters in years, but I would go day 1 for a new one of these.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kokichi said:

They could really produce a Final Destination movie every year and it would be awesome.

Hire cheap actors and invent new creative deaths.

Love the "fake out" deaths too.

Really, Final Destination 1 is the worst by far because it took itself way too seriously. They later figured out the tone, and drastically improved the franchise.

I haven't been to the movie theaters in years, but I would go day 1 for a new one of these.

I’m surprised they haven’t ha.

I’d tone it down to one every other year or 3 years probably, but I’d watch them.

Growing up I loved them and Slasher movies for horror movies, mostly because I just can’t really do ghost stuff. I do my best but a losing battle. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kiltman said:

My daughter refused to ride the Vortex roller coaster after seeing Final Destination 3.  The roller coaster was essentially the same (except color) of the Kings Island coaster.

7 hours ago, kokichi said:

Agreed both new It movies sucked, super overrated, I thought maybe they had a decent collection of kids but ultimately the 2nd one when they were older just did not work and obviously the kid cast was picked to match the adult cast.  

I loved Doctor Sleep also, the ending was a bit cliche but overall was a great film and I wish they showed it on TV!  Love Rose the Hat, super cool villain!  Agreed it was easily one of the best if not the best acting performance for Ewen McGregor.  

a2a7aa8a3104baddc4ca6b47aa94b1f908a1a4a6

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Oh man, I think that's everyone. Someone comments on it every time it happens. That's probably THE death from FD. 

• Like 1

So wife and I watched Hocus Pocus 2. It wasn't THAT bad like everyone said. I doubt I ever watch it again unless my kids are involved. It was basically the same plot (I heard they were thinking remake at first so it makes sense), just updated for 2022 with more backstory.

To that note, the young actress that mimicked young Bette Midler did an incredible job. 

• Like 1