Week 5 GDT: San Francisco 49ers at Carolina Panthers

J-ALL-DAY

We are tied with the Eagles as having the 2nd best point differential in the league. That's the frustrating part about being only 3-2 and not 5-0 or at the very least 4-1. If we were 4-1, I'd feel pretty good about finishing as the #1 seed in the NFC. Now? I don't know, but it would help if the Eagles lose against the Cowboys this week. 

The Bills are a ridiculous +91 which doesn't even make any sense LOL. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

6 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Viewtiful play of the day on offense.

Look at the rep by Banks. That man is really doing his thing week in and week out. The way he is able to move to the second level on run plays with his size is pretty remarkable. Super impressed with his play. 

Curious to see how many reps Burford got this week. Didn't pay too much attention to him but will if I get a chance to watch the game again...Thought I would re-watch the Rams game but didn't get to it but I'm hoping I can watch at least the offensive drives of the Panthers game again. 

Didn't get to watch most of the game as i was on the road. Caught some plays here and there on my phone. But this seemed like a game we controlled from start to finish. Every time the Panthers made it interesting, the 49ers would respond. 

Besides QB, my worries entering the season were the OL & Secondary but they have been holding up well. My main worries now are still the QB & injuries. Jimmy G can have his bad days. And we've been missing or will miss our starting RB, TE, LT, DT, DE, LB, CB & FS. To continue chugging along and blowing out teams on the road is impressive, but if we keep getting dinged up its gona get us eventually

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We are tied with the Eagles as having the 2nd best point differential in the league. That's the frustrating part about being only 3-2 and 5-0 or at the very least 4-1. If we were 4-1, I'd feel pretty good about finishing as the #1 seed in the NFC. Now? I don't know, but it would help if the Eagles lose against the Cowboys this week. 

The Bills are a ridiculous +91 which doesn't even make any sense LOL. 

I like using this metric. We're the 2nd best team in the NFC at the moment for sure. Gives you an idea of who will be the good teams, especially early in the season. For example, the Raiders at 1-3 are only -4 which indicates they're not that bad, but have been unlucky with some close losses The Packers at 3-2 are only +1. They've had 2 close wins by 5 points combined and 1 close loss. They don't seem as strong this season

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

PFF had Lenoir giving up over 200 yards the last two weeks. Now some of those yards are in his zone but I just don't like him coverage, I'm sorry. He does good things in the run game but his coverage is not good enough for him to start at nickel over Womack. 

Also, by PFF's rankings (min 50% snaps):

Ward is the #1 CB

Gibson is the #2 safety

Hufanga is the #5 safety

Bosa is top 5 edge

Warner is the 6th rated LB

Greenlaw is the 5th rated LB

That will do lol.

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Wonder if shanny puts in a call about CMC 

I hope not. CMC is a stud but why get a injury prone RB on a big contract? Mitchell will be back soon. We are fine at RB.

If anything, let's wait and see if maybe a corner becomes available if Verrett can't get healthy enough to contribute and Womack/Lenoir struggle on the outside.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I hope not. CMC is a stud but why get a injury prone RB on a big contract? Mitchell will be back soon. We are fine at RB.

If anything, let's wait and see if maybe a corner becomes available if Verrett can't get healthy enough to contribute and Womack/Lenoir struggle on the outside.

49ers give Kyle Shanahan new deal through 2025 - ABC News

• Like 4

I think Shanny would love a true 3 down back like CMC. I think he'll be active in looking at running backs in free agency next year as well. I think that's just who he is. 

Plus, you can play him at receiver...Shanny's positionless football ideal salivates at that lol. 

Also there's the personal connection which can never be understated with Shanny / Lynch. Shanahans and Mccaffrey's are super close and Shanny used to babysit him lol. 

Contract is 12m/yr moving forward which is steep moving forward for a running back, but not a ton when it comes to the overall salary cap, tbh. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think Shanny would love a true 3 down back like CMC. I think he'll be active in looking at running backs in free agency next year as well. I think that's just who he is. 

Plus, you can play him at receiver...Shanny's positionless football ideal salivates at that lol. 

Also there's the personal connection which can never be understated with Shanny / Lynch. Shanahans and Mccaffrey's are super close and Shanny used to babysit him lol. 

Contract is 12m/yr moving forward which is steep moving forward for a running back, but not a ton when it comes to the overall salary cap, tbh. 

Love this idea and heartily endorse it. I think he's being wasted as a pure RB, myself. He should be moved about almost every play, as I see it. Keep the D guessing as to how you are going to use him, similar to Deebo, but more so.

• Like 1

Moore gave up 1 sack, 1 hit, 4 pressures / hurries in 36 drop backs. 

Given that some of this was up against Brian Burns, this could have been so much worse if we are being honest. 

There were definitely some spots where Jimmy was basically immediately under duress from the line, and I thought we really struggled in identifying and picking up blitzes, but this was a much better game from Moore than I expected lol 

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

Moore gave up 1 sack, 1 hit, 4 pressures / hurries in 36 drop backs. 

Given that some of this was up against Brian Burns, this could have been so much worse if we are being honest. 

There were definitely some spots where Jimmy was basically immediately under duress from the line, and I thought we really struggled in identifying and picking up blitzes, but this was a much better game from Moore than I expected lol 

I don't think PFF understands zone blocking.