Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

Barry rightly gets a lot of heat but credit needs to be given where due.

10 points given up with practice squad corner in Bannetyne is exceptional. Yes they had a back-up QB but one who is an experienced QB with far more experience of winning games than Jordan. 

The storyline is Jordan - and it was fantastic to see his turnaround. But when the offense was struggling badly, the defense kept us in it and then had the stop at the end (how many of us thought they would be able to drag out all of the clock with a drive to the 3 yard line before a chip shot, I know I did). Jordan deserves the storyline but the defense won us the game and as the co-ordinator Barry must get a lot of the credit for the win.

Yes, a lot of the time he sucks. But today his unit turned up and much more. 

Probably a one off , he will probably suck again next week. But just today, maybe we can stop bitching about our own and accept that you know, the defense was actually pretty awesome today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Weird that we hate him despite giving up 10 points. 

Helluva performance actually 

It’s a little clouded that it turned when Winston came in. It’s more that we seem to continue with a mentality/style that just doesn’t seem to work in key situations. How many times are we gonna line up 10 yards off the LOS on 3rd and 3 and give up an easy 1st. Or play prevent up 1 with 3 min and 2 timeout to go. We sort of stopped them today but they also easily got themselves into the opportunity to make a 46 yard field goal within 1:30 and he just missed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, packerstk7 said:

It’s a little clouded that it turned when Winston came in. It’s more that we seem to continue with a mentality/style that just doesn’t seem to work in key situations. How many times are we gonna line up 10 yards off the LOS on 3rd and 3 and give up an easy 1st. Or play prevent up 1 with 3 min and 2 timeout to go. We sort of stopped them today but they also easily got themselves into the opportunity to make a 46 yard field goal within 1:30 and he just missed.

How many of us thought, they would run out the clock to the last second and have a chip shot to win the game ? I know I did.

Fact is the defense came in absolutely clutch when we needed it today. Even if they had made the field goal then we would have had a shot with a minute left which is a minute more than I thought we would get.

We didn't sort of stop them today. We stopped them and then stopped them again and again and again. Its probably a mirage and Barry will go back to sucking next week but today is on the defense and we shouldn't be trying to find way of being critical for the sake of being critical. 

6 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

How many of us thought, they would run out the clock to the last second and have a chip shot to win the game ? I know I did.

Fact is the defense came in absolutely clutch when we needed it today. Even if they had made the field goal then we would have had a shot with a minute left which is a minute more than I thought we would get.

We didn't sort of stop them today. We stopped them and then stopped them again and again and again. Its probably a mirage and Barry will go back to sucking next week but today is on the defense and we shouldn't be trying to find way of being critical for the sake of being critical. 

Yes I give him credit for not allowing that. But it was still Winston. I’m not looking for constant domination. I’m looking for him to admit that playing soft and conservative does not consistently work and to change things up. If it’s 3rd and 3 and they play closer press coverage and get beat then so be it. I’m tired of seeing them play off on those situations and it occasionally works out.

3 minutes ago, packerstk7 said:

Yes I give him credit for not allowing that. But it was still Winston. I’m not looking for constant domination. I’m looking for him to admit that playing soft and conservative does not consistently work and to change things up. If it’s 3rd and 3 and they play closer press coverage and get beat then so be it. I’m tired of seeing them play off on those situations and it occasionally works out.

In Barry's defense today, gambling on the current crop of CBs to win against these WRs today is not a bet that a lot of DCs would be willing to make. 

He made a reasonable guess and then made the right adjustments at half time.

• Like 1

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

In Barry's defense today, gambling on the current crop of CBs to win against these WRs today is not a bet that a lot of DCs would be willing to make. 

He made a reasonable guess and then made the right adjustments at half time.

Even with Jaire he’s playing soft coverage. It’s also just a poor fit for our offense. Allowing long drives while our offense is relies on timing, small chunks of yards and taking its time. It leaves little room for error.

1 minute ago, packerstk7 said:

Even with Jaire he’s playing soft coverage. It’s also just a poor fit for our offense. Allowing long drives while our offense is relies on timing, small chunks of yards and taking its time. It leaves little room for error.

I don't necessarily disagree, but when we're talking about today, you need to chalk this one up as a positive for Barry if you're being fair. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but when we're talking about today, you need to chalk this one up as a positive for Barry if you're being fair. 

Right. And I would. This game was definitely not won in spite of the defense.  

Edited by packerstk7

13 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Berry's defenses have given up 20 or less points in ten of the last twenty games.

Berry's defenses have given up 30 or more points in one of the last twenty games.

But sure, go ahead and crap on him left and right. 

I wonder where our D ranks in points per possession.

edit - looks like 19th in points per possession. So not great for a defense with so many resources spent on it. 

Edited by packerstk7

2 hours ago, MacReady said:

Joe Barry is the most offensive defensive coordinator of all time.

As offensive a defensive coordinator as Matt Patricia was offensive as an offensive offensive coordinator.

Barry somehow tricked fate itself from life as a high school motivational speaker into a legitimate role in the NFL.

That explains the van down by the Fox River.

• Like 1