Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I am loyal to the truth as it presents itself to me.

The truth is that Barry's defense is totally different recently than earlier in the year and it's worth:

(1) simply acknowledging it and not denying it to sooth one's ego

(2) figuring out why (more important for MLF to do this than we fans, of course)

The reality is, this defense has been playing lights out recently. Probably top 5-10ish caliber football. Is it a flash in the pan? Will it continue?

If it does, Barry is probably back in GB.

If KC had any decent WRs to couple with Kelce, I posit they'd have shredded our secondary worse than they were capable of doing last night.

Comments to the effect that we were "one play away from disaster" last night - which I deem the opposite of setting the agenda - are accurate.

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

The reality is, this defense has been playing lights out recently. Probably top 5-10ish caliber football.

Detroit game? Sure. They balled out on Thanksgiving. Last night? No. They got dogwalked down the field all night.

Just now, beekay414 said:

I am not a Cleveland Browns fan. I don't give two ****s about what they do. I don't watch their games nor do I have the context of how those points were allowed because just citing PPG shows me absolutely nothing.

That's exactly the issue, every yard, every point has context and every team is put into situational issues where the defence doesn't do what it should have or could have. To expect the Packers to not suffer these same issue, that even top defensive teams suffer from is an absurdity.  Especially, when the overall results produced by Barry are pretty good (not great) in keeping teams under 19.5 points. 

Here's where I'm at - I can understand why MLF would keep Barry at this point. Do I agree with it? No. But I would understand why he would keep him. It'll be even more viable after we play the #14, #25, #31, and #32 ranked offenses by DVOA. The only way he doesn't return is if Barry chooses to leave or if the Packers get absolutely decimated in the playoffs.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

If KC had any decent WRs to couple with Kelce, I posit they'd have shredded our secondary worse than they were capable of doing last night.

Comments to the effect that we were "one play away from disaster" last night - which I deem the opposite of setting the agenda - are accurate.

DVOA accounts for all of this already

Just now, Leader said:

I don’t want to defend Joe Barry, believe me, but we easily could have been Philadelphia getting our **** pushed in in their own house by San Fran. 

3 minutes ago, Striker said:

Two of the TDs scored by the Steelers were a Watson pick six and a Watson fumble six. Their D has still been generally good vs. the pass but they've slipped vs. the run. Also, unsurprisingly, they've struggled more as their offense has gotten more incompetent.

They're offense is hitting at like a 33% clip on 3rd down too ffs. 

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I am loyal to the truth as it presents itself to me.

The truth is that Barry's defense is totally different recently than earlier in the year and it's worth:

(1) simply acknowledging it and not denying it to sooth one's ego

(2) figuring out why (more important for MLF to do this than we fans, of course)

The reality is, this defense has been playing lights out recently. Probably top 5-10ish caliber football. Is it a flash in the pan? Will it continue?

If it does, Barry is probably back in GB.

Can I ask why KC’s scoring rate last night doesn’t change your mind? 

Do you not believe had KC gotten league average possessions ( they had 6 real ones ) that they wouldn’t have scored more?

They scored 4/6 times not counting the kneel down or at the end of the game . 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Detroit game? Sure. They balled out on Thanksgiving. Last night? No. They got dogwalked down the field all night.

intellectually dishonest

you're using your preconceived notions about Barry to unfairly view the reality of what happened.

DVOA accounts for everything you think you saw on TV

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brit Pack said:

That's exactly the issue, every yard, every point has context and every team is put into situational issues where the defence doesn't do what it should have or could have. To expect the Packers to not suffer these same issue, that even top defensive teams suffer from is an absurdity.  Especially, when the overall results produced by Barry are pretty good (not great) in keeping teams under 19.5 points. 

Over your convenient sample size vs middling QBs. Now do his entire tenure.

Just now, Rainmaker90 said:

Can I ask why KC’s scoring rate last night doesn’t change your mind? 

Do you not believe had KC gotten league average possessions ( they had 6 real ones ) that they wouldn’t have scored more?

They scored 4/6 times not counting the kneel down or at the end of the game . 

because DVOA accounts for all of this

and I'm not self-absorbed enough to think my "eye test" is superior to DVOA