State of the Steelers

warfelg

1 minute ago, bigben07MVP said:

Had no clue we were 1st in 4th down conversion % and top 5-6 in 3rd down % last year. 

the offense was pretty good in a lot of stats during that 7-2 run except for explosive plays and endzone touchdowns

I think they were like 11th in DVOA after the bye which also takes into account competition, so according to that stat they were legit in some areas..makes me want a better OC to run things even more tho

rumour of the day has mitch to the dolphins in a trade.  Not bad, things are gaining momentum anyways;)

4 hours ago, August4th said:

would be wild if the offense really took off next yr. Matt Canada gets hired to be a HC and starts tomlins tree lmao

hire Bienemy now just in case of course 

14 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

It genuinely makes me angry that Matt Canada is being brought back and we could have just waited and brought in Eric Bienamy.

Imagine much more optimistic we all would be heading into the offseason.

I blame Rooney for this. I think he's not into paying a guy to not coach. It's been 20 years since they fired a coordinator. I think tomlin has power in who he hires, but it's rooney's money, so he decides if someone should get let go before the contract runs out.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

It genuinely makes me angry that Matt Canada is being brought back and we could have just waited and brought in Eric Bienamy.

Imagine much more optimistic we all would be heading into the offseason.

Especially since numerous other OCs were fired for less.   Obviously Canada wasnt the only issue, but all I ever hear from Canada supporters are about talent issues on offense (which are obviously an issue), but never anything about his crap playcalling and limited understanding of how to attack opposing defenses and lack of in game adjustments.

This was exactly why I said all last offseason why we needed a 4 or 5 win season.   We will never get the changes we really need until that happens.      Canada was saved mainly because a) the OL improved, b) Watt returned and c) we played a weak schedule after the bye.    Literally nothing changed on his end.   Some people will say that proves our issues are merely talent related, which in many ways they are, but still doesn't change the fact that Canada is a sub par coach that really doesn't bring much to the table.

Whatever.   This organization has grown extremely complacent and it makes me sick.

The unsaid things speak the loudest. Mostly everyone says the Steelers LT needs to be upgraded. They bash Dan Moore. Here's something for you to chew on. Why hasn't Chukwuma Okorafor been switched to LT?

Answer. Because he'd struggle mightily. He's stiff and lacks the athleticism of Moore. Yes he got a nice contract but he is the lesser talent of the starting OTs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

The unsaid things speak the loudest. Mostly everyone says the Steelers LT needs to be upgraded. They bash Dan Moore. Here's something for you to chew on. Why hasn't Chukwuma Okorafor been switched to LT?

Answer. Because he'd struggle mightily. He's stiff and lacks the athleticism of Moore. Yes he got a nice contract but he is the lesser talent of the starting OTs.

Obviously Moore could be upgraded...but I think people really underestimate how hard it can be to even find a solid LT.   As unspectacular as Villanueva and Moore were/are, we have been pretty lucky at LT over the last 7 or so years.    Moore, even with his struggles, played pretty well as a 4th rd rookie LT, and has shown decent improvement.   He still has room to grow.

I just feel like Steeler fans expect us to draft an LT early to replace Moore and have a 10 year great franchise LT, when we are just as likely to end up with a player thats merely a lateral move from Dan Moore, or worse.   Again, Im not opposed to an upgrade at LT, but I dont want to force it.   A guy like Anton Harrison is pretty good, but he isnt a slam dunk prospect, and his ceiling isnt extremely high either.

As Ive noted numerous times, I am perfectly content with Dan Moore at LT, at least for 2023.   Id much rather upgrade LG and other spots on the roster.  Next year I may feel different, but I dont feel he is anywhere close to our weakest link, nor do I feel like LT will be the best value at our picks.  None of these LT prospects are special, and many of them translate better to either the right side or interior.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 43M said:

Obviously Moore could be upgraded...but I think people really underestimate how hard it can be to even find a solid LT.   As unspectacular as Villanueva and Moore were/are, we have been pretty lucky at LT over the last 7 or so years.    Moore, even with his struggles, played pretty well as a 4th rd rookie LT, and has shown decent improvement.   He still has room to grow.

I just feel like Steeler fans expect us to draft an LT early to replace Moore and have a 10 year great franchise LT, when we are just as likely to end up with a player thats merely a lateral move from Dan Moore, or worse.   Again, Im not opposed to an upgrade at LT, but I dont want to force it.   A guy like Anton Harrison is pretty good, but he isnt a slam dunk prospect, and his ceiling isnt extremely high either.

As Ive noted numerous times, I am perfectly content with Dan Moore at LT, at least for 2023.   Id much rather upgrade LG and other spots on the roster.  Next year I may feel different, but I dont feel he is anywhere close to our weakest link, nor do I feel like LT will be the best value at our picks.  None of these LT prospects are special, and many of them translate better to either the right side or interior.

I will add as I have many times before that DMJ is as dirt cheap as they come for a starting LT is this league. That will play a big factor. Young, improving, and a extremely good value for what we are paying him. I get the vibe that he’s well liked by the coaching staff as well (unlike Dotson). 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I will add as I have many times before that DMJ is as dirt cheap as they come for a starting LT is this league. That will play a big factor. Young, improving, and a extremely good value for what we are paying him. I get the vibe that he’s well liked by the coaching staff as well (unlike Dotson). 

If they liked Chuks enough to give him an extension, I would be extremely annoyed if they were already trying to replace Dan Moore, who is already as good, if not better than Chuks and still has upside.

I view LT this year similar to WR.   If we were in position to get a blue chip prospect, Id be on board....but since we arent, Id rather go a different route and explore upgrading those positions next year (if needed).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Your answer is wrong. Why didn’t Chuks switch? Because he did move over to his natural spot at LT, but a derailed plan at RT lead to them choosing to play the guy who started 15 games in the NFL at that position rather than trying the rookie 4th rounder who never played on the right side there. Why change them now? 

no clue how you think he has “struggled mightily”. He isn’t a world beater, but he is a perfectly fine starting RT. You wanna argue his money, go for it. But his play has been fine. 

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

no clue how you think he has “struggled mightily”. He isn’t a world beater, but he is a perfectly fine starting RT. You wanna argue his money, go for it. But his play has been fine. 

Just pointing out that he didn't claim Chuks "HAS struggled mightily", but rather "WOULD struggle mightily IF moved to LT".

• Like 2