State of the Steelers

warfelg

whats gong to happen with dionte since A-Rob signing? If they draft day trade him, whats his value?

Is Miller expected to be healthy and ready to rebound?  What do you expect his role to be?

Carolina lost their #1, maybe a trade with them could be possible

Edited by 3rivers

I'm softening to the Robinson trade. Obviously I knew it was such a low risk move that it almost cannot come back to bite us, but I have harbored an irrational hatred(maybe it was rational, but it was so long ago I can't really remember, which I guess makes it irrational) of Allen Robinson for so long. I think he's better suited to be a slot guy at this point in his career. He shouldn't be expected to win 1 on 1 matchups on the outside anymore(not that he ever was that good at that - hatred is hard to exercise) because his one trait that allowed him to do it, his leaping, is toast. He does have great hands, he is very physical, and he's good in the RZ. I think he'll be a good addition to the offense. He can provide Vet leadership, he doesn't seem to be crazy, he's a good run blocker, and he should work the intermediate middle of the field well. Plus, we gave up almost nothing for him. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm softening to the Robinson trade. Obviously I knew it was such a low risk move that it almost cannot come back to bite us, but I have harbored an irrational hatred(maybe it was rational, but it was so long ago I can't really remember, which I guess makes it irrational) of Allen Robinson for so long. I think he's better suited to be a slot guy at this point in his career. He shouldn't be expected to win 1 on 1 matchups on the outside anymore(not that he ever was that good at that - hatred is hard to exercise) because his one trait that allowed him to do it, his leaping, is toast. He does have great hands, he is very physical, and he's good in the RZ. I think he'll be a good addition to the offense. He can provide Vet leadership, he doesn't seem to be crazy, he's a good run blocker, and he should work the intermediate middle of the field well. Plus, we gave up almost nothing for him. 

The one thing I would disagree with here is his leaping ability is not toast. He’s still an elite jump ball, 50/50 contested catch winner. One of the perks of getting a vet like A Rob is he is very good at the nuances of running a fade route at the goal line in terms of timing and spacing. Hopefully him and Pickett are able to get on the same page and this is a reliable option to finish off drives. I think this will also factor in on back shoulder throws on the sideline, a throw which Pickett seems to be really good at and likes going to a lot.

One of the (many) factors of A Robs disappointing season last year was Stafford missing virtually the entire offseason, TC, and preseason. He was never able to really get on the same page with Robinson. If that changes and Kenny/A Rob can develop some solid chemistry I think you will see some good things this year. 

I’ve done a full 180 from hating the trade when it was first announced to being really excited about it. I was vocal about wanting to bring in Adam Thielen and I think this is basically a discounted version of that move (with Robinson also being 4 years younger). Gives me big Jerricho Cotchery vibes.

40 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I think it’s newsworthy our 2nd year QB has put on 13 pounds of muscle. 

I am more or less just being sarcastic about the way twitter would explode on the first picture we got of Ben in the off-season. 

Flexibility > strength for QBs, but provided he doesn't want to be Brady Quinn, all good here. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I am more or less just being sarcastic about the way twitter would explode on the first picture we got of Ben in the off-season. 

Flexibility > strength for QBs, but provided he doesn't want to be Brady Quinn, all good here. 

In Kenny’s case the added weight should result in better durability. That’s what has me intrigued.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, August4th said:

always thought ben's weight was always overblown. Dude just had a big head, puffy face and would rock a beard. He did not look any more out of shape compared to other QB's his size.  someone like cam newton is a outlier lol

Largely agree, but there were a couple years he had too many chins.   However, even when he slimmed down, people were knocking his weight.

13 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

The one thing I would disagree with here is his leaping ability is not toast. He’s still an elite jump ball, 50/50 contested catch winner. One of the perks of getting a vet like A Rob is he is very good at the nuances of running a fade route at the goal line in terms of timing and spacing. Hopefully him and Pickett are able to get on the same page and this is a reliable option to finish off drives. I think this will also factor in on back shoulder throws on the sideline, a throw which Pickett seems to be really good at and likes going to a lot.

One of the (many) factors of A Robs disappointing season last year was Stafford missing virtually the entire offseason, TC, and preseason. He was never able to really get on the same page with Robinson. If that changes and Kenny/A Rob can develop some solid chemistry I think you will see some good things this year. 

I’ve done a full 180 from hating the trade when it was first announced to being really excited about it. I was vocal about wanting to bring in Adam Thielen and I think this is basically a discounted version of that move (with Robinson also being 4 years younger). Gives me big Jerricho Cotchery vibes.

They also had ARob playing outside a lot because they wanted Kupp rolling through the middle.
At this stage of his career ARob is a much better big slot, working his way through coverages than
he is a deep threat. I think the Rams mis-used him. But we'll see...

2 hours ago, mwalker said:

They also had ARob playing outside a lot because they wanted Kupp rolling through the middle.
At this stage of his career ARob is a much better big slot, working his way through coverages than
he is a deep threat. I think the Rams mis-used him. But we'll see...

Im hoping Austin becomes valuable enough that Robinson isnt needed as much.   DJ as well, but Im not getting ahead of myself.

At the very least, I think Robinson can replace what we lost in Claypool for a year.

• Like 1