State of the Steelers

warfelg

I, personally, never though the Kenny Magic would translate to the league the way it did at the end. Still going to be some ups and downs (Dolphins results vs Ravens results), but if you want an elite QB -- you NEED to be clutch and have the ability to make something out of nothing. 

Carr and Kirk -- don't have that. I look at QB play as 80/20. 80% of the time you need to be boring and follow the play and execute what you need to execute. But then there is that 20% of being able to kick open a door that doesn't exist to make something for yourself. 

Elite QBs are the full 100%. Kenny showed the 20% last year, but I want to see him be a BAQ (Boring A** Quarterback) this season that brings out that elite playmaker when he needs to. 

I still very much have questions about that 80%. That's not the part of football that he has excelled at going back to college. But if he can improve upon that, dudes got top 10 written all over him. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I, personally, never though the Kenny Magic would translate to the league the way it did at the end. Still going to be some ups and downs (Dolphins results vs Ravens results), but if you want an elite QB -- you NEED to be clutch and have the ability to make something out of nothing. 

Carr and Kirk -- don't have that. I look at QB play as 80/20. 80% of the time you need to be boring and follow the play and execute what you need to execute. But then there is that 20% of being able to kick open a door that doesn't exist to make something for yourself. 

Elite QBs are the full 100%. Kenny showed the 20% last year, but I want to see him be a BAQ (Boring A** Quarterback) this season that brings out that elite playmaker when he needs to. 

I still very much have questions about that 80%. That's not the part of football that he has excelled at going back to college. But if he can improve upon that, dudes got top 10 written all over him. 

Well said. I will add that one of the biggest things Kenny needs to work on moving forward is deciding *when* to bring out the Superman cape and when to stay inside of structure and go through his reads. If he can master that ability to only extend plays and make “magic” happen when it’s necessary I think we will see a much improved QB.

With that being said, guys like Mahomes and Allen still break out of structure too early all the time. But they of course are on a different level than Kenny. But I still think Kenny can do some of the same stuff those guys do. His accuracy while on the run might already be top 10 in the league. 

On 7/13/2023 at 12:08 PM, Dcash4 said:

Im more excited and encouraged about Kenny than I was when we first drafted him, but I'm still not sold on him being the guy.   Fortunately, he is only going into his 2nd year and has more than enough time to grow and earn more trust amongst everyone.

Still, I would be alot more excited about his chances of drastically improving if we had replaced Matt Canada with someone who wasn't, ya know.....Matt Canada.

2 hours ago, 43M said:

Im more excited and encouraged about Kenny than I was when we first drafted him, but I'm still not sold on him being the guy.   Fortunately, he is only going into his 2nd year and has more than enough time to grow and earn more trust amongst everyone.

Still, I would be alot more excited about his chances of drastically improving if we had replaced Matt Canada with someone who wasn't, ya know.....Matt Canada.

maybe the asistant they hired for OC will be replacing canada. I thought canada would be gone black monday, but it never happened.  They will win in spite of canada and because of the improved OL and defence. 

fire canada sooner than later, or let the assistant take over and keep canada while keeping drama to a minimum? wait and see I guess

If the offense sucks again this year and we promote within again or dont fire Canada, I will lose any last bit of faith I have left in Tomlin and the front office.    Im more than open to being proven wrong, but Canada absolutely shouldve been fired after last season.    

Worst case scenario IMO is Kenny and the offense show just barely enough to allow Canada to keep his job.  Only way Id be okay keeping Canada going into 2024 is if the offense and Kenny absolutely explode this year.

13 hours ago, 43M said:

If the offense sucks again this year and we promote within again or dont fire Canada, I will lose any last bit of faith I have left in Tomlin and the front office.    Im more than open to being proven wrong, but Canada absolutely shouldve been fired after last season.    

Worst case scenario IMO is Kenny and the offense show just barely enough to allow Canada to keep his job.  Only way Id be okay keeping Canada going into 2024 is if the offense and Kenny absolutely explode this year.

I've heard rumor that he is on a short leash but don't expect a mid-season firing either.

Basically Tomlin views Canada's career so far as this:

2021 - Broken down Ben, terrible OL, Rookie RB/TE

2022 - Gap QB/Rookie PB, WR2 who turned out to be bad.

2023 - Improved OL, 2nd year QB, maturing skill players.

Basically he's got stability at the most important position, improvement where it needed to happen, and a directed philosophy for the offense.  If a jump doesn't happen he's out after being given the benefit of doubt the last two seasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Because he wants to be a rapper

I think the biggest issue would be he provides no ST play.  At this point if you don't work with the assumption that RB3 is a ST guy who provides something slightly different in running style from RB1&2 you don't really know Tomlin's preferred roster construction.  At this point for RB3 we're likely looking at James Robinson, Marlon Mack, or JD McKissic off the street for a FA RB3 role.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I think the biggest issue would be he provides no ST play.  At this point if you don't work with the assumption that RB3 is a ST guy who provides something slightly different in running style from RB1&2 you don't really know Tomlin's preferred roster construction.  At this point for RB3 we're likely looking at James Robinson, Marlon Mack, or JD McKissic off the street for a FA RB3 role.

I think this is the year McFarland sticks. Him or Alfonzo Graham who apparently had a really strong OTA

The thing is that if Najee goes down with say an ACL tear tomorrow…*knocks on wood*…there’s plenty of decent options.

Hunt/Zeke/Cook/Fournette…all guys that can handle 200 touches and not have to try solely on Warren…with some issues nevertheless.

• Like 3