State of the Steelers

warfelg

3 hours ago, 43M said:

If we get a 2nd, feel free to throw it in my face, and I will gladly accept it.  😁

they might consider it if the 2nd will be close to a 1st like the claypool trade. The hamstring injury could be a deciding factor for both parties involved. 

why care as long as canada is here though.  I can see them playing KP and using his knee as an excuse, rookie LT as an excuse etc. Full of excuses and blame is what the tomlin regime is. 

5 hours ago, 43M said:

Claypool is just worse.

That’s my point! You point to Claypool’s “traits” but at that point he had shown plenty on film to prove he was an average WR at best who got schemed a few nice TDs his rookie season. I know a highlight tape is not “film” but you could probably put together a 15 minute clip of DJ roasting NFL CBs in man coverage. Claypool is infinitely worse in every aspect of being a WR besides being taller and faster.

5 hours ago, 43M said:

If we get a 2nd, feel free to throw it in my face, and I will gladly accept it.  😁

Don’t get me wrong, it’s probably a long shot that we even make him available (unfortunately) but if we got a 2nd for Chase last year, I have 0 doubts we could get a 2nd for DJ from an equally desperate Panthers team. If we are 2-5 at the deadline maybe I am wrong and we do make him available.

https://x.com/mattharmon_byb/status/1709341275206430854?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

The supply for “WR1s” just isn’t there right now^ they don’t have the capital for a swing like Davonte Adams. This is the reason I brought this up in the first place.

Nonetheless, happy to go back and forth on something besides how much Matt Canada sucks for a change. I hope that I am right and you are wrong 🤝

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

That’s my point! You point to Claypool’s “traits” but at that point he had shown plenty on film to prove he was an average WR at best who got schemed a few nice TDs his rookie season. I know a highlight tape is not “film” but you could probably put together a 15 minute clip of DJ roasting NFL CBs in man coverage. Claypool is infinitely worse in every aspect of being a WR besides being taller and faster.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s probably a long shot that we even make him available (unfortunately) but if we got a 2nd for Chase last year, I have 0 doubts we could get a 2nd for DJ from an equally desperate Panthers team. If we are 2-5 at the deadline maybe I am wrong and we do make him available.

https://x.com/mattharmon_byb/status/1709341275206430854?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

The supply for “WR1s” just isn’t there right now^ they don’t have the capital for a swing like Davonte Adams. This is the reason I brought this up in the first place.

Nonetheless, happy to go back and forth on something besides how much Matt Canada sucks for a change. I hope that I am right and you are wrong 🤝

I’d be all for this move because I think it’s good for us to just move on and get something, and I think it would be good for DJ to have a fresh start. 

To me, it think it’s good for both sides with a single example. Every time DJ has a drop someone here or on twitter inevitably posts the think about his low drop rate compared to Adams, Jefferson, Chase. Then we have to go on to dispel that it’s about when he drops not that he drops. Truth likely lies somewhere in the middle. He’s got better hands than those guys, but something gives him yips in big moments, like he’s trying to run before he catches it.

I think it’s good for something like this to happen, especially when added on that he turned off twitter replies because he was getting death threats from Steelers fans due to his drops. It’s time to move on. 

11 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

That’s my point! You point to Claypool’s “traits” but at that point he had shown plenty on film to prove he was an average WR at best who got schemed a few nice TDs his rookie season. I know a highlight tape is not “film” but you could probably put together a 15 minute clip of DJ roasting NFL CBs in man coverage. Claypool is infinitely worse in every aspect of being a WR besides being taller and faster

Claypool was in his first 3 years when traded and playing in an inept offense.   And his first year he showed a good bit of promise early on,  which dipped significantly when the rest of the offense did.   So given his age, contract and upside, the Bears thought he COULD become a big time player with the right coaching and QB.   Unfortunately, they overestimated their coaching, Fields ability and Claypools dedication. 

But again, we got a premium pick for what they THOUGHT he COULD BE...not what he actually was.

No doubt DJ had a better resume in general, but that doesnt mean he will draw anything close to the same value, because the sane upside isn't there, and he has actually shown regression in areas.   Even if some issues are caused by the poor offense and talent, he has his own shortcomings that have always been evident.   Ones he never drastically improved upon.

I think we could potentially get a 3rd for him if the right team liked him enough....but a 2nd is tough to see unless he comes back and shows off for a month or 2.    I think on his current trajectory a 4th is more likely.

Pittsburgh has allowed 72 percent of their rushing yards allowed to the perimeter. The Texans hurt them badly by exploiting their defensive backs in space. It’s pretty simple for the Steelers. King is a massive upgrade to their run defense. It is not the only fix, but King gives them more flexibility at that spot than Sullivan does on run-downs.

any comments?

•  

what if this team continues to lose and is near the top of the draft?

get a QB and also keep KP for QB2 is an idea they could consider and trade mitch/cut him and free up capspace.  

steelers don't fire coordinators during the season : guaranteed job security no matter if we are 32nd in most stats, just waste the season and be nice in the process I guess

why is  witherspoon having such a better season ? I know his hamstring was the problem last year, but he seems to be doing well now. Maybe the rams are laughing at all the Khan artist jive  sine they got 2 of the top players at their positions from us for nothing :P

maybe our coaches are worse than even we thought?

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

what if this team continues to lose and is near the top of the draft?

get a QB and also keep KP for QB2 is an idea they could consider and trade mitch/cut him and free up capspace.  

steelers don't fire coordinators during the season : guaranteed job security no matter if we are 32nd in most stats, just waste the season and be nice in the process I guess

They are not going to give up on the KP experiment.  If they get one of the top 2 picks then maybe but I would guess not.

The thing that chaps my *** even more, watching other teams with young qbs still putting up 250+ passing. Even so called bad teams having a better offense then ours. KP8 isn’t perfect nor blameless. however when all your routes attack outside the hashes and maybe once in a blue moon goes in between the hash’s. Way to limit yourself out of your best weapon(muth) and a young QB. Way to make it easier for other teams to figure your passing game out. Hate to say it, with Pickens and Austin still developing this is showing Dj’s worth, regression or not. His route running with get him open. Hands are still in question.
As for the running game, Harris barely played during the preseason. I wouldn’t be surprised if he starts to pick up steam. However, it depends on if the O-line wants to start being the bullies instead of the bullied. That goes with the pass protection also.
the lack of energy from the offense screams to me they don’t believe Canada. At least not at this point. Another thing hampering this offense is a true superstar. DJ, muth, Pickens(still developing), Harris, and warren are all solid. But you need a superstar playmaker somewhere and a O-line that wants to kick ***’s up between the shoulder blades.

the defense isn’t blameless, however, in a energy world. It would give them life if the offense can sustain at least 3 to 4 minute drives. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the defense as a whole with the most snaps in the nfl.

The hopeful part, Tomlin teams normally have a sluggish start dating back to prime Ben days. Tomlin has been preaching about starting fast for the last decade and only seemed to happen a couple of times. Majority of the time the team has a surge mid to late in the season. Hopefully they steal enough wins and have developed the young players nicely to salvage the morale. 

My .2 cents, I wouldn’t draft a QB high until a superstar playmaker is here, have a more solid o-line unit,  and Canada the hell out of here. I hope the city of Pittsburgh trashes his yard like they did to Maddox.

Edited by Displayname
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Ahkello Witherspoon's and Levi Wallace's best years with us were their first year followed by deep regression only to bounce back on their next squad (well..TBD on Levi). 

FyDWjy_XwAMC8bP?format=jpg&name=medium

Witherspoon, Sutton, Dotson, Dobbs, Kendrick freaking Green (before injury), all having career years right now. Terrell Edmunds finally got his first career forced fumble. Salt in the wound as they say. I’m surprised Steven Sims hasn’t returned multiple punts for touchdowns and Devin Bush isn’t looking like a former top 10 pick again. Happy for those guys though, especially Dobbs.