State of the Steelers

warfelg

34 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

No way Pittsburgh trades for a guy on a franchise tag imo.

Agreed. I never saw Snead or Johnson as likely to come here anyway. Everyone in the secondary not named Minkah or JPJ should be replaced, so I would rather sign 2 guys, like Kendall Fuller and Xavier McKinney, than re-set the market at CB on one player. 

8 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I can see both sides of the Fields discussion. Every time it goes back and forth in this thread it makes me change my mind haha.

I will add my take in here real quick. While paying middling assets for Fields (2nd round pick and the 17th highest QB contract on the books) doesn't seem like the worst idea, I feel like we can get pretty much the same value from Mason Rudolph. Is Fields the guy that he looks like in his few great games, or is he the guy that is pretty average? I think I'd be okay with signing Fields because I do think he can still improve. If he can get anywhere close to his potential, he'll be a great QB. He's got more potential than a guy like Rudolph because of his legs, but he could also just end up being that mid level QB. I don't know enough about Fields' situation in Chicago. How bad was the talent around him? I know they had bad HC luck too. It's hard to know exactly who Fields is as a pro. 

I look at it this way: his peaks are his potential, and we haven’t seen that from a QB in a while. Heck Kenny’s peaks look like Fields’s average. If someone can unlock Fields’s peak more often here a good one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I look at it this way: his peaks are his potential, and we haven’t seen that from a QB in a while. Heck Kenny’s peaks look like Fields’s average. If someone can unlock Fields’s peak more often here a good one. 

I look at it this way. Fields is probably realistically somewhere between the 16th-20th best QB in the NFL right now, with a ceiling scenario to be closer to #10 if everything clicks. For the past 3-4 years we have gotten to watch the 28th-32nd best QB in the NFL, regardless of who it has been.

I have said to myself countless times while watching games, “If only we had a just a respectable OC and some league average QB play this team could be so much more. Well, we have a respectable OC and Fields is our best chance at getting league average QB play (or better) this offseason and all it will cost us is a day 2 pick and some change + a 5th year option that is about league average QB salary? 

At that price, Fields doesn’t have to be “The guy,” but he immediately raises the floor and ceiling of just a piss poor offense we have all been forced to sit through the past several seasons. It gives us a chance to break the cycle of 9-10 win seasons and first round playoff exits. And if he isn’t the guy? That’s ok! He will still be better than the alternative and it turns into essentially a 2 season experiment and we can draft a QB in either one of the next two offseasons. I’m personally ok with that risk/reward.

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 1

I liked this explanation from Fields and Mina. It's basic. Doesn't say anything about how good or not good Fields is. But it's based on more dangerous his skill set would make a team that hasn't been dangerous in anyway on offense for the last 4-5 years. 

"You can't be the team that is so far behind [the division and conference] for a singular reason of your quarterback being average". 

• Like 3

I'm not necessarily for or against Fields, but I don't understand how an argument can be made for Fields, in that he *might* progress under Arthur Smith, yet Pickett is not given the same benefit of the doubt.  I don't think Fields vastly improves our team enough, and don't think, as of yet, he's proven he's anywhere close to Burrow, Jackson, or Watson, and certainly not much more than Pickett.  If we are looking for that caliber of QB, well, I don't think that QB is available right now, unless you want 35YO Wilson, but then we are right back here in a year or two, anyway...

I won't be upset with Fields; just don't think he's any closer of a caliber QB to the division's other QBs, than Pickett.  I'm happy to be wrong, though...

8 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

in that he *might* progress under Arthur Smith, yet Pickett is not given the same benefit of the doubt.

Multiple reasons:

1 - Fields has one thing that Kenny cannot ever learn - athleticism and escape ability.  Pickett will NEVER be able to do the things that Kenny can.

2 - We've seen what "best" versions of both look like and, frankly, Fields's best is better than Kenny's.  Fields was always a boom or bust type player and Kenny was always "well it won't get worse" type feeling.

3 - This one is big: JUSTIN FIELDS IS 1 YEAR YOUNGER THAN KENNY. Age and experience means so much for QM's more than anything. 

4 - As 24 year oldes (Justin's age now), Justin is literally better at everything but two things: Comp% and Record (which is not a QB stat).

5 - I've said this in the past, but this is something for everyone to really keep an eye on - Tomlin has talked ad nausium about how much he values movement at the QB position, and why not get one of the best athletes at the position?

6 - Now this is a personal belief.  Because of this whole situation I looked at the 2025 draft and QB's are not good.  And early reports are that 2026 might be average.  So knowing that, I would take the swing now on something like that rather than go through the year and discover Kenny is NOT it and now you are in a bad QB draft and FA year without any way to go with it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, August4th said:

fields turning it around after becoming a Steeler feels on brand for us tbh 

Another thing to think about with Fields: he wasn’t Poles or Eberflus’s guy. He might just need change of scenery to be paired with people who want him not people who inherited him. Tomlin liked him back at draft time, rumored to still like him, and if we trade for him has confidence in him. Sometimes for the QB position having that is huge. From what I understand from bears fans is Fields puts in the work. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Would be the 17th ranked QB based on annual value. Yeah, I can live with that. 

You just don’t like field — which is absolutely 100% perfectly fine to be against him as a player. But there shouldn’t be an argument here on value. A 2nd round pick and $28M over two years in this QB economy? Heavens to Betsy that’s a discount. 

A discount?   For a guy who has yet to prove he is a consistently capable starting QB in this league?   Thats still decent starter money, and thats where we seem to be at an impasse.  You seem to think he is, and I very much do not.

I don't have an issue with you guys liking him more than me, but your outlook seems to be based on what he POSSIBLY COULD BE rather than what he ACTUALLY CURRENTLY IS.

I will just repost the snippet that sums my feelings up...

If bottom 12 QB play to you, in a league that had guys like Browning, Flacco, Minshew, and O’Connell performing comparably, isn’t awful to you, then it is what it is. A guy entering his contract year as a full time starter should have shown a lot more growth than Fields has.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 43M said:

I will just repost the snippet that sums my feelings up...

That is coming from the Bear’s perspective, who traded up and took Fields with the 10th overall pick and have a decision to make between him and a “generational” QB prospect. From our perspective, trading a day 2 pick and upgrading from Kenny Pickett, it looks a lot different. 

And stats can be misleading. Here is one showing that Fields has been comparable to Lamar Jackson, who just won an MVP, in their last 20 games.

https://x.com/nfl_dovkleiman/status/1762172501692449111?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og