State of the Steelers

warfelg

33 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

https://x.com/dmrussini/status/1766489906597986530?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

Russini reporting Steelers are listening to offers for DJ. They should scoff at anything lower than a top 75 pick. 

Ahem. It was obvious that he didn't fit the new scheme. He isn't the fast Slot they want for deep passes. With the team exploring the top WRs in the draft, a trade up could happen. Also, they probably didn't like Rusell Wilson and can be gearing towards trading for Justin Fields. Reason 1,000,000 why I like the offseason.

Smiths offenses seem to favor bigger pass catchers.

They may try to grab a mid round pick and then just grab a bigger guy in FA or in the draft.

I still think Gabe Davis is a sneaky possibility if they trade DJ.

• Like 2

Just now, AFF said:

Smiths offenses seem to favor bigger pass catchers.

They may try to grab a mid round pick and then just grab a bigger guy in FA or in the draft.

I still think Gabe Davis is a sneaky possibility if they trade DJ.

He's only affective when working off free releases. That's part of the reason why Buffalo isn't retaining...he's very inconsistent and normally dinged up. We have guys on the roster who are as good or better than Davis.

15 minutes ago, August4th said:

maybe they trade up a few spots for that kid from Washington

I don't think he moves the needle enough to warrant a trade up. He's a fine WR, but I don't think he's anything special. He is too similar to Pickens. 

24 minutes ago, warfelg said:

There’s a lot of people saying Carolina would be interested. That’s pick 65 I believe. 

Makes perfect sense to team Young with an experienced route running WR.

• Like 1

Tbh after the whole snail walking during a fumble and then acting like he did nothing wrong, I kind of was over Dionte Johnson. His attitude just continued from there. He has been extremely inconsistent, didn't even have a TD grab the year before.

I hope he goes elsewhere and does well, but I honestly do hope we trade him. 

15 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don't think he moves the needle enough to warrant a trade up. He's a fine WR, but I don't think he's anything special. He is too similar to Pickens. 

He's 6'3 215...he's more like Mike Evans than George Pickens. Two playmakers like Pickens and Odunze would be crazy talent.

27 minutes ago, warfelg said:

There’s a lot of people saying Carolina would be interested. That’s pick 65 I believe. 

I would not be completely opposed to this here. My problem would be if we then move a pick for fields.  I would also be opposed to moving up for one of the top 3 wr. They are all great but will all be gone in the top 10 and that's too pricey of a move. 

Lastly if we move on from dj then we need to find another separation guy. There are a few in this draft but replacing him with someone like Coleman doesn't make sense. We would then just have all contested catch guys which limits things a lot 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

Tbh after the whole snail walking during a fumble and then acting like he did nothing wrong,

He lost a lot of credibility with Steelers fans.  He has never been in  trouble outside and doesn't seem to be a bad guy, but rather someone who thinks higher of himself than the fans perception of him. Nothing wrong with believing in yourself, but the numbers and productivity don't match.

I kind of was over Dionte Johnson. His attitude just continued from there. He has been extremely inconsistent, didn't even have a TD grab the year before.

Honestly, some on the offensive schemes and QB play.  He and Mitch were not best buddies.  Big Ben knew how to utilize DJ, but at the same time, he is no AB talent wise.

I hope he goes elsewhere and does well, but I honestly do hope we trade him. 

I have nothing against DJ, I am just feeling like it may be time to move on. The problem is he is their most experienced receiver and the cupboard in nearly bare after Pickens.  Austin still has as many questions as answers. They would need another veteran free agent to be a #2 type.

31 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

He's 6'3 215...he's more like Mike Evans than George Pickens. Two playmakers like Pickens and Odunze would be crazy talent.

Sure, but that's kind of the same archetype of WR. He's a slightly bigger Pickens. He's a good combat catcher. But he's not overly physical with the ball in his hands. He's not an elite route runner. He's a guy to throw intermediate jump balls to, just like Pickens. Why would we trade up for Pickens when we already have Pickens? We need a guy more like Deebo or AJ Brown. A bruiser that can run with the ball in his hands, while also being able to get open quick off the LOS. That guy doesn't exist in this draft, so why trade up for something we already have? We have too many needs and too few draft picks for moves like that. That's why I said he doesn't move the needle enough. It seems like bad resource management to me.