State of the Steelers

warfelg

7 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

You still need depth at the position. Veteran depth ideally in a very immature room. Boyd competes, he has more dog in him than Allen Robinson. I would not want him at a high price but adding a piece from the competition doesn't hurt either. We regularly beat Baltimore but Cincy/Burrow has had our number most out of the 3 division teams when Joe is healthy. 

You need depth, but don't you need depth that fits?

He came from an 11 personnel team and played 77%, 79%, and 75% from the slot in the last three years. 

7 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

You need depth, but don't you need depth that fits?

Really good run blocker for WR, runs good routes, sits in zone coverages, makes tough contested catches, has flexibility across the formation.

• Like 1

Just an FYI on remaining WR's on the market for some to take stock in:

Hunter Renfrow - Slot only

OBJ - Over the hill

Curtis Samuel - Injury prone more gadget player

Tyler Boyd - Second best remaining

Michael Thomas - Slant god a locker room issue

Marquez Valdes-Scantling - If a WR needy team like KC is cutting him...

DJ Chark - Really up and down

Marquise Brown - Doesn't fit, poor mans DJ with wheels

Calvin Ridley - Best remaining

KJ Osborn - Really hit or miss

You can go down from there but now you are really talking depth guys like Quez Watkins, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Equanimeous St. Brown, Scotty Miller, Mack Hollins, Cedrick Wilson.

I hate the Wr market, someone like Gabe Davis got roughly the same or more than we gave Queen 

I just don't like paying those middle guys that kind of money , draft 1 or 2 if you need to

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Just an FYI on remaining WR's on the market for some to take stock in:

OBJ - Over the hill

You can go down from there but now you are really talking depth guys like Quez Watkins, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Equanimeous St. Brown, Scotty Miller, Mack Hollins, Cedrick Wilson.

Mack Hollins or Peoples-Jones along with a 1st or 2nd round WR…my best guess as of right now.

I’m perfectly fine waiting until camp to see who’s still out there, the money these middling WR are getting is ridiculous. Someone will be sitting at home when camps starting and will take a lot less money than they think they’re worth now, and I don’t think the dropoff will be huge. If DJ wasn’t a cancer I would have rather kept him for the dropoff to these guys for only a few million less. 

4 minutes ago, AFF said:

Mack Hollins or Peoples-Jones along with a 1st or 2nd round WR…my best guess as of right now.

I’d hope for one of the top guys then who’s more polished because that would be a really uninspiring duo of Hollins/DPJ with Pickens. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, August4th said:

Pickens

Rome

peoples-jones or hollins

Austin

I can get behind that

I’d like it but many don’t like the cost to get Rome. 

I think that why I can get behind Boyd. We can take that Texas big WR, Polk, or the FSU WR later, and they don’t need to start day one. 

Edited by warfelg

39 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Really good run blocker for WR, runs good routes, sits in zone coverages, makes tough contested catches, has flexibility across the formation.

These are nice attributes, but it doesn't describe if he fits. You would have an easier time telling me that WR2 just doesn't matter in Smith's offense than fitting square slot receiver in a round outside hole. 

43 minutes ago, warfelg said:

OBJ - Over the hill

This list really makes me think we made a mistake sending off DJ for a low end player and little draft value. He is clearly better than everyone here and a better vertical threat for Smith's offense. It's bad when Peoples-Jones is looking like the best option. 

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

These are nice attributes, but it doesn't describe if he fits. You would have an easier time telling me that WR2 just doesn't matter in Smith's offense than fitting square slot receiver in a round outside hole. 

That's what fits Smith's offense though.  You seem stuck on listed position than attributes.

3 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

This list really makes me think we made a mistake sending off DJ for a low end player and little draft value. He is clearly better than everyone here and a better vertical threat for Smith's offense. It's bad when Peoples-Jones is looking like the best option. 

It really sounds like DJ wanted out and was a bit of a locker room cancer.  Also DJ is a better short/intermediate threat than vertical.  I would think CAIII is the better vertical threat.

• Like 1