State of the Steelers

warfelg

@Dcash4 At this point agree to disagree on the Boyd point because signing him isn’t a hill I’m dying on. I just don’t think he as pure slot as it looks.

11 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I just don't see the plan

I feel like I see the plan, I just don’t want to say it out loud.

So without saying it, we have a 4 year draft stretch with little to show for it, soon to be 5-6 year with little.  It kinda feels like a turning of the page and just ripping the bandaid off with some of these moves.

• Like 1

And I will say this…as @bigben07MVP mentioned, they may miss out on not getting Mitch Morse for center…his contract was only 2/$11 mill or something like that.

Long term option no…worst case he gets you through the year while you fixed maybe RT and other spots.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AFF said:

And I will say this…as @bigben07MVP mentioned, they may miss out on not getting Mitch Morse for center…his contract was only 2/$11 mill or something like that.

It's not always about money, though...it's entirely possible, we offered a similar deal, but he chose to go to a team that has a stable QB, and might have a better chance than us to get to the SB...

But yes, they may have not offered enough, which allowed him to leave.  I agree, though, that it's unfortunate he got away from us.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

It's not always about money, though...it's entirely possible, we offered a similar deal, but he chose to go to a team that has a stable QB, and might have a better chance than us to get to the SB...

But yes, they may have not offered enough, which allowed him to leave.  I agree, though, that it's unfortunate he got away from us.

Don’t forget FL doesn’t have income tax.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, warfelg said:

So without saying it, we have a 4 year draft stretch with little to show for it, soon to be 5-6 year with little.  It kinda feels like a turning of the page and just ripping the bandaid off with some of these moves.

Then why did we sign a "win now" QB?

Just now, MOSteelers56 said:

Then why did we sign a "win now" QB?

Because I don’t think Tomlin, Kahn, and Rooney want to completely bottom out while making the roster overhaul.

Personally I think Russ is a bridge and Kenny is out.  And when they looked at the bridge options they preferred Russell over the others.

• Like 2

I agree and understand with alot of the issues people are having with what we have done so far, but my question is....what else could we have done that would have been MUCH better?

QB:  There was not really many better options?   Do we ride with Kenny and just bring in a guy like Minshew or Tannehill to compete with him?   Do we bring in Fields and hope his athleticism and upside work out?   I can see arguments for both, but there is no argument for either of those moves being clearly better.   The only other option is to draft another QB early (which is still an option), but its probably not going to pay off unless someone falls.

WR:   Luke warm on the DJ trade, but I think DJ was just slightly better than JAG, only had one year left on his deal, and wasnt a great fit for Smiths offense.    My biggest issue is that they traded him without having a set plan or replacement.   I dont think DJ will be excessively hard to replace, but this feels more like a "looking to the future" move, and if thats the case...why bother signing Russell Wilson, which is definitely a "win now" move?

OL:  Not exactly a great year for OL in free agency.    There were some decent C options, but several teams that needed one.   And the options at RT were extremely limited.  We will see what happens here.

ILB:   Queen is a good player, but not exactly a game wrecker.    If we wanted that, we should have went after Roquan Smith last year.   Queen is a consolation prize.   I dont mind it given the market and our situation, plus the contract is favorable.   Not sure what we coukd have done here that would have been notably better.

DB:  Donte Jackson could be decent, but he doesn't really solve any issues a CB.   I wouldve rather just have a straight up low 3rd or high 4th rd pick for him and add another CB with that.   I would have kept DJ for now and CONSIDERED trading him AFTER the draft if we added a WR and could get a better deal.   We can still add a decent DB or two via FA.

Bottom line(s)....I dont mind the players, especially given the limited options available, but I dont particularly understand the thought process and approach.     I don't think any of these moves make us a worse team, but I dont feel like they make us particularly better either.

But again....I dont know if there were alot of avenues to becoming much better in free agency.   I would have taken a different approach, but my positive outlook is that, even if we are still mediocre in 2024, we arent inhibited by any of these moves to blow things up in 2025 and 26, if needed.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Kozora said this about the DJ trade, but it' feels like it's true of the entire roster. Our moves, so far, seem to have made us a worse team....not a better one. And with a ton of cash and a team that makes a move like netting Russ Wilson prior to free agency, honestly I expected more. 

I disagree...there is no way you can tell me that by acquiring a much better Punter, a much better QB (sorry, it's true, even to a Pickett loyalist such as I...), an upgrade (higher rated, even with no INTs) and younger CB in Donte Jackson (vs Peterson), and the top off-ball LB in FA, for just $13M guaranteed (roughly 35% of contract total value), has made this team worse.  Maybe our WR room is thinner, but it's been hinted at quite awhile, that DJ was not happy here, and wanted to be traded--better now than have another AB on our hands.

I'm confident that we are not done, and by the beginning of the draft, I'd bet that we'll have a better OL, better QB, better LB corps, and better DB corps, than what we had at the end of the season.

Also, many of the 'detractors' are looking at this as a Roberts/Queen starting ILB duo, and that may be at the start of the season, but I'm betting the long-term plan, and by week 6-8, is to have a Holcomb/Queen starting ILB Duo, with Roberts and Robinson in reserve.

EDIT:  Also, we moved up nearly 2 rounds in the draft (62 spots)--that's a big difference...

Edited by Ward4HOF

This is interesting, and may explain the Calvin Ridley situation...

"A wink-wink agreement between Ridley and the Jags could conceivably be in place. If Jacksonville signs Ridley before 3pm CT today — the start of the 2024 league year — it goes down as an extension, meaning the team will send Atlanta its 2024 second-round pick. If Ridley re-signs with the Jags after 3pm, the Falcons will obtain the AFC South team’s third-rounder."

That's a huge swap of fortunes...losing a 2nd, or gaining a 3rd...

Edited by Ward4HOF

39 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

It’s also possible his agent told him there was a good chance we would draft his replacement high in this draft where maybe there was less worry on that in Jacksonville.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Because I don’t think Tomlin, Kahn, and Rooney want to completely bottom out while making the roster overhaul.

Personally I think Russ is a bridge and Kenny is out.  And when they looked at the bridge options they preferred Russell over the others.

Couldn’t agree more. Russ is a bridge QB, not “win now”. I think they are setting up to get a QBOTF next offseason…and they think Kenny is done.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigben07MVP said:

Couldn’t agree more. Russ is a bridge QB, not “win now”. I think they are setting up to get a QBOTF next offseason…and they think Kenny is done.

If you ask Wilson, he believes he's got 5 more years, and 2 more SB rings ahead of him.  That would suck if we only had him for one of the 3 years he doesn't win a ring, lol