State of the Steelers

warfelg

51 minutes ago, DR43 said:

Would you all like the trade of Austin and our 1st for Aiyuk?  

I'd do it if he agreed with an extension. I think the WR room needs a strong vet. Give me the guy that's proven he can do it over the young guys that might be able to do it. Aiyuk is a crazy good fit for Smith's offense too. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'd do it if he agreed with an extension. I think the WR room needs a strong vet. Give me the guy that's proven he can do it over the young guys that might be able to do it. Aiyuk is a crazy good fit for Smith's offense too. 

He’ll do an extension, but it’s going to be for $25M a year. I’m really on the fence if it’s going to cost us a 1st then the big contract, we have plenty of space the next couple years but that will disappear quickly when he have to sign a QB to a real contract plus Pickens, Muth, Daniels, etc. 

5 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

It’s kinda funny how people are trying to use him being benched, claiming weight issues, locker room issues, and all kinds of random stuff to knock him on SteelersTwitter.  Just so strange for years we lusted over doing stuff like this and now that we are doing it and have the ability, suddenly everyone is knocking these players and saying they don’t want to give up picks.

I tell you, if this teams goal is to retool on the fly, still compete, and be a plugged in QB away from being there, this is the type of move you make.

2 minutes ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

He’ll do an extension, but it’s going to be for $25M a year. I’m really on the fence if it’s going to cost us a 1st then the big contract, we have plenty of space the next couple years but that will disappear quickly when he have to sign a QB to a real contract plus Pickens, Muth, Daniels, etc. 

Cap space doesn't really factor into my head. They can figure out all sorts of things to manipulate cap space. 

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Cap space doesn't really factor into my head. They can figure out all sorts of things to manipulate cap space. 

It shouldn’t. We haven’t/wont really need to restructure of extend Cam most likely so that means no more money pushed, and IIRC we are on track to have $80MM in space next year with a flat cap as of right now.

1 hour ago, DR43 said:

Would you all like the trade of Austin and our 1st for Aiyuk?  

I would consider it.    Austn is completely unproven and doesn't fit Smith's mold of WR, and we are getting a proven 26 year old, top route running WR for the 1st.

I wouldnt be necessarily thrilled, but I wouldn't be upset either.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DR43 said:

What if they had a contract extension already in place?

That is one of the main reasons I don't want the deal. I'm not interested in paying wrs 25-30 mil per year when we scout and draft them better than most. 

• Like 3

For Calvin Austin and 20, I pull the trigger.

I just wonder what the plan would be at C and OT. I’m worried an offense led by Russ or Fields, with Dan Moore at LT and a 2nd/3rd round rookie at C, would still be mediocre even with a talent like Aiyuk at WR1 and Pickens at WR2.

Thats my main hesitation. Do we have enough resources to trade for Aiyuk and still field an above average O-Line this season? 

1 minute ago, Big Snack said:

That is one of the main reasons I don't want the deal. I'm not interested in paying wrs 25-30 mil per year when we scout and draft them better than most. 

Where exactly has that gotten us? Claypool ended up being a bust and we got extremely lucky to fleece the Bears for JPJ. DJ was just traded for peanuts. Pickens, while obviously talented is a ticking time bomb and is a true 50/50 to end up signing an extension here. JuJu was good for a couple seasons with AB and then fizzled out hard. Martavis Bryant was shipped out for nothing. 

My point is, everyone points to us being so good at drafting WRs yet every single offseason WR is at or near the top of our needs. If we are so good at drafting receivers, why do we need to draft so damn many of them?

• Like 2

Just now, bigben07MVP said:

Where exactly has that gotten us? Claypool ended up being a bust and we got extremely lucky to fleece the Bears for JPJ. DJ was just traded for peanuts. Pickens, while obviously talented is a ticking time bomb and is a true 50/50 to end up signing an extension here. JuJu was good for a couple seasons with AB and then fizzled out hard. Martavis Bryant was shipped out for nothing. 

My point is, everyone points to us being so good at drafting WRs yet every single offseason WR is at or near the top of our needs. If we are so good at drafting receivers, why do we need to draft so damn many of them?

Amen. Amen. Amen.  This has been my feeling for a few years now.  On top of that we always seem to have that guy who’s loved by fans but gets the moniker “oh if he could just xyz.”  Guys like Austin, Washington, Wheaton, Coats.

• Like 1

I’m a big Aiyuk fan, I think he blows up off the 49ers with a legit drop back game…

but I hate the value at a first round pick. It’s not worth it. If they let him hit FA next off-season they get the first pick of the 4th round (which people call the third…) in 2026. Offer a the equivalent of a 2/3 between the next two years. Don’t do pick 20 and a huge contract. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I’m a big Aiyuk fan, I think he blows up off the 49ers with a legit drop back game…

but I hate the value at a first round pick. It’s not worth it. If they let him hit FA next off-season they get the first pick of the 4th round (which people call the third…) in 2026. Offer a the equivalent of a 2/3 between the next two years. Don’t do pick 20 and a huge contract. 

Something tells me Kahn is thinking the same way. Idk what he has up his sleeve but I feel like he can somehow get the deal done without giving up 20.

Then again that Aiyuk tweet could have just been him simply driving leverage for a new contract with the 49ers.