State of the Steelers

warfelg

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I think you are referring to Jerry Jeudy, not Sutton.

I also do not think 49ers will get a 1st plus more. Reports are saying no one is offering a 1st.

I meant the trade down for 31, not the 20th alone…

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jebrick said:

Bub Means
David White, Jr.
Cole Burgess
Ogie-Kellogg
Josh Cephus-
Luke McCaffrey
Cornelius Johnson
Ryan Flourney                                                                                                                                                                                                         Jalen Coker
Casey Washington

I'd be good with any of these three, on Day 3.                                                                                                     

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

I think 119

Or 84 for 121 & Sutton

considering wilson already knows sutton and the run heavy offence, this might be a better value than Aiyuk. Either way, the team should be set at WR1/2 after  either trade. 

21 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

What would you call Patrick Queen, Deshaun Elliot, Dane Jackson, Wilson/Fields, Van Jefferson? These are the exact types of moves you keep clamoring for! You are acting as if Omar has been sitting on his hands all offseason. We did fill several holes during free agency. We have 4 more decently glaring ones - C, WR, OT, NB - with 4 picks on day 1 and day 2, with endless possibilities to trade up/down/for players. This is a very common position for team's of our caliber to be in heading into the draft.

We've literally already ran through Dcash's worst case draft scenario where all the OTs are gone in the first AND we use our 2nd round pick on an outside CB (considered a luxury) and shown it can still all work out just fine! I just think you're either overreacting or pretending like you know more than the GM. At this point, the draft starts in 2 days. If afterwards we're all looking around saying "wow, we just had the draft and are still staring at holes all over the place, we're in really bad shape" then you guys can have your victory lap but I just don't see that happening. 

And one more thing...you STILL haven't give one single damn suggestion about who YOU thought we should have signed and didn't. 

I’m not sure why you’re getting mad but ok.

I’m going to make this very basic and streamlined.

I like the Queen/Wilson/Fields deals even though Wilson is probably only a 1 year stopgap….I liked Elliot as well especially for price and S was something I wanted done in a crowded S FA pool.

Dane Jackson is at best a 1 year stopgap who was probably going to be cut by the Panthers and ending up taken a paycut here.

Lowry is ok depth but Jefferson and Watkins are JAGS and more of a #4 type in the WR depth chart.

Again…I’ve never said about signings a bunch of Colbertish mark Barron types…I’ve stated this repeatedly but no one seems to listen…I WOULDVE PREFERRED 1-2 more Queen level signings.

I’ve repeatedly stated that save for getting rid of clubhouse cancer types and redoing the QB position, they didn’t make any long term impacts to the roster save for Queen and they gave outs in his contract….I don’t see the plan if you catch my drift.

I would have liked some long term impact signings that woulda helped QB of the future long term whether it be weapons or OL additions…not just draft picks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In terms of players they could afford to overpay if necessary a guy to solve a long term issue but I’ll give you about 7-10 guys that were given decent contracts that were reasonable.

-WR Noah Brown

- S Chauncey Gardner Johnson

-Cb Kenny Moore

- CB Sean Bunting

-CB Kendall Fuller 

-NT DJ Reader

-DE Raekown Davis

-DL Ashawn Robinson 

-OG John Simpson

-OG Jon Runyan

Again not earth shattering contracts but solid contributors that could helped for years(mind you the OGs woulda been contingent on Daniels moving to center but you get my point.)

That’s not including Aiyuk which me and you agree on….and plus I don’t think he’s gonna cost a 1st which I’m down for so that would make me feel better going forward…as would signing Connor Williams if he’s actually healthy.

They have roughly $90 mill in cap room next year and they’ll be active in FA and probably overpay people next year as FA always does that.

Thats my .02…we don’t have to agree and it’s honestly better if we don’t to agree to disagree and call it.

Im looking forward to the draft.

• Like 2

@AFF my bad didn’t mean to come off mad. I appreciate the enthusiastic back and forth.

I think it’s pretty clear (to me) now that they held themselves back from making more of those signings so they could make a splash for a WR on draft night. If they signed even 1-2 of those guys you mentioned we might not have had the flexibility to do so without more cuts (creating more holes) or restructures. 

Does getting “confirmation” that we will be trading for Sutton or Aiyuk (or another vet WR) help you at least see that there is a plan in place? It certainly does to me, and it’s what I’ve been saying all along. Also makes the DJ trade a lot more palatable as well.

Also - Queen was the largest FA contact we’ve given out in franchise history and you wanted us to make 1-2 more of those?! Let’s be somewhat realistic. 

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, AFF said:

Again…I’ve never said about signings a bunch of Colbertish mark Barron types…I’ve stated this repeatedly but no one seems to listen…I WOULDVE PREFERRED 1-2 more Queen level signings.

I’ve repeatedly stated that save for getting rid of clubhouse cancer types and redoing the QB position, they didn’t make any long term impacts to the roster save for Queen and they gave outs in his contract….I don’t see the plan if you catch my drift.

But see, that's the issue--The Queen signing was the largest contract ever...EVER, given to a non-Steeler UFA.  How can you expect to have another 1-2 of those??  That's just not realistic.

And when we face an offseason, which leaves us with the sheer amount of potential for upgrades, it's not realistic to believe that we can solve the issue between Mid-March to late-April.  And again, I 'personally' don't call them needs, because, well, we made the Playoffs with that roster, and we 'created' needs by making cuts to OC and WR2--those are actual needs, but we created those holes. 

Every team has multiple areas and options for upgrades, but this year, in particular, we were facing these preferential 'upgrades'...

QB1

QB2 (Which would've turned into a need, if we didn't preempt the issue with Fields)

LT (which would turn into a 'need' at RT, if we move Jones

OC (which turned into a 'need', because we cut Cole

and our WR group turned into a need out of nowhere, because we filled one hole, by creating another.

NT

DE/5-Tech (more of a planning for the future, than an clear upgrade)

ILB

SS

CB2

NCB

P

That's quite a list.  we were able to solve ILB, SS, CB2, QB1, QB2, QB3, P and maintained NT by re-signing Adams (yay...not)...

So, all that's really left, for THIS season (not worried about next season, because we should be flush with Cap Space, and can figure on FA next year to fix those, or use the draft) is OC, WR2, and NCB.  Those three areas are the ONLY things that NEED to be addressed by training camp.  Going into the year, with Donte Jackson as CB2, is fine...I mean, we could upgrade everywhere, if you really want to, but we can survive with our OTs, as is, for another year, even if it's not ideal, same with Jackson, so on and so forth.

I just think it's not reasonable to expect that everything is figured out before the draft, especially when we've had the most productive FA period...like, since ever, haha...I really don't believe that Khan has 'failed' FA, becaue we wasn;t able to sign Mitch Morse, and Williams at WR.  Bummer, sure, but literally, he fixed, again, QB1, QB2, QB3, ILB, SS, CB2, and P--that's pretty darn good, IMO.  You don't agree, and that's fine, but many of us feel that we're in decent shape going into the draft, and that the sky isn't falling.  The plan has worked, for the most part.

Ah well...Happy Draft Eve, my friend!!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AFF said:

@Ward4HOF and @bigben07MVP…yes Queens contract was the highest but that’s because the Steelers rarely dip their toes in the higher levels of FA.

They can right now(hence the possible Aiyuk deal) and probably will again next offseason.

not sure their cap situation this year would have allowed 2 more Queen type signings, but I agree with your view on that IF the players are legit and will suit the team.  It doesn't hurt to spend in UFA if the cap space is there and the players actually deliver.  Problem is, UFA is hit and miss to often  and probably a reason the steelers don't go after several high priced UFA's in a season

If they don't draft a C, I expect them to sign Williams, that might have been a higher profile UFA signing had he not have the ACL injury last year.