State of the Steelers

warfelg

1 minute ago, bigben07MVP said:

Just looked it up he actually started 26 games on the right and 11 on the left at Northwestern. I also remember he was projected as a RT/OG coming out due to having shorter arms. And yes he has been dominant on the left side but I would figure it out because Alt has so much more upside than Latham (imo). 

Like, this is what I find a little touch ironic - we don’t want to draft Fashanu because he’s a LT only and it would block Jones.  If Slater is so good at LT why would you move him? 

Now I think I what’s really up is Latham is their target, but they are moving down to get him. Like I could see the Jets and Vikings (for Nabors and McCarthy respectively) being great trade partners.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Like, this is what I find a little touch ironic - we don’t want to draft Fashanu because he’s a LT only and it would block Jones.  If Slater is so good at LT why would you move him? 

Now I think I what’s really up is Latham is their target, but they are moving down to get him. Like I could see the Jets and Vikings (for Nabors and McCarthy respectively) being great trade partners.

Because we are talking about Dan Moore at LT vs Joe Alt at LT

And I have said I would draft Fashanu and keep Broderick on the right side if the opportunity was there.

Edited by bigben07MVP

55 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Because we are talking about Dan Moore at LT vs Joe Alt at LT

And I have said I would draft Fashanu and keep Broderick on the right side if the opportunity was there.

Moore vs Alt wasn’t my intention. More that it is OK for LAC to move one of the best LTs in football, but we shouldn’t draft a potentially elite LT to try Jones there because of his comments. 

And it wasn’t an attack on you directly, so apologies if it came off that way. More that the fandom in general seems to always suggest that it’s ok for other teams to do things that they get defensive for us on. 

15 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Moore vs Alt wasn’t my intention. More that it is OK for LAC to move one of the best LTs in football, but we shouldn’t draft a potentially elite LT to try Jones there because of his comments. 

And it wasn’t an attack on you directly, so apologies if it came off that way. More that the fandom in general seems to always suggest that it’s ok for other teams to do things that they get defensive for us on. 

My biggest (not only) gripe about playing Jones on the right side is that we are doing so to keep a player of Dan Moore's caliber on the field. I would not pass on an elite LT prospect because of Jones, because at the end of the day the bigger of the two goals is to get Dan Moore off the field. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

My biggest (not only) gripe about playing Jones on the right side is that we are doing so to keep a player of Dan Moore's caliber on the field. I would not pass on an elite LT prospect because of Jones, because at the end of the day the bigger of the two goals is to get Dan Moore off the field. 

Again though: that’s not what I’m talking about. I’m saying the people that say we shouldn’t take Olu over Mims because we need Jones at LT. 

30 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Again though: that’s not what I’m talking about. I’m saying the people that say we shouldn’t take Olu over Mims because we need Jones at LT. 

Oh I didn’t know people were saying that.

31 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Oh I didn’t know people were saying that.

It’s a couple days old but Dulac said if Ola were at 20 Steelers would pass and people jumped all over the “we don’t need a LT.”

9 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

They go on to say, however, that something could be worked fairly quickly.

(Sorry, but explaining my answer will require discussing draft, so I know this fits better in that thread...sorry)

Look...if it's between Barton, or Aiyuk, for 1.20, I'm grudgingly going to favor the Aiyuk trade, and most here know that I'm not a huge fan of trading our 1st for Aiyuk, but it seems to me, Khan, and Tomlin, are building for 'immediate impact'.  Aiyuk + Frazier in the 2nd, or Nourzad in the 3rd, is much bigger immediate impact, than Barton, and say, Pearsall.

If they are looking to build more for the future, or maybe willing to stumble out of the gates for a few games, in favor of the long-term, then maybe yeah, Barton.

I'm sad though, a little, because it appears OT is more of a distant 2nd or 3rd option, at this point.  If Fuaga somehow falls, and they don't select him, then I think that's a mistake.  But if it's because they want immediate impact, and trade for Aiyuk, then I at least can understand that logic.

Edited by Ward4HOF

13 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

They go on to say, however, that something could be worked fairly quickly.

(Sorry, but explaining my answer will require discussing draft, so I know this fits better in that thread...sorry)

Look...if it's between Barton, or Aiyuk, for 1.20, I'm grudgingly going to favor the Aiyuk trade, and most here know that I'm not a huge fan of trading our 1st for Aiyuk, but it seems to me, Khan, and Tomlin, are building for 'immediate impact'.  Aiyuk + Frazier in the 2nd, or Nourzad in the 3rd, is much bigger immediate impact, than Barton, and say, Pearsall.

If they are looking to build more for the future, or maybe willing to stumble out of the gates for a few games, in favor of the long-term, then maybe yeah, Barton.

I'm sad though, a little, because it appears OT is more of a distant 2nd or 3rd option, at this point.  If Fuaga somehow falls, and they don't select him, then I think that's a mistake.  But if it's because they want immediate impact, and trade for Aiyuk, then I at least can understand that logic.

I think Mims is still on the table at 20 even though it's become a lot less popular to mock him there fwiw.