State of the Steelers

warfelg

4 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Chargers signed Bradley Boseman and are moving Corey Linsley to C.  Most likely they would draft one later or look for a G.

Boseman struggled at OC and Linsley is a 10-year Vet. I'm thinking that's why they are predicted to select one "early". Their Depth Chart also shows Brendon Jaimes but I'm not familiar with him. 

5 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Somehow, the Steelers are going to get a Wr that fits A. Smith's scheme.  That means big 220 Wr that can block because in Smith's offense, everyone blocks.  This draft is thin on those types unless they take one at 20 or trade up from 51.  

Brian Thomas Jr.
Adonai Mitchell
Xavier Legette

Javon Baker

The top 3 will not last until 51.   Maybe add Coleman to the list but he does not offer much.

Then we have the flyers that will fit much later in the draft

Bub Means
David White, Jr.
Cole Burgess
Ogie-Kellogg
Josh Cephus
Luke McCaffrey
Cornelius Johnson
Ryan Flournoy
Jalen Coker
Casey Washington

So trading for Sutton would be much better (IMHO) in this draft that spending a high pick when there are other needs.

Agreed. Depending on the draft pick of course. I saw speculation it was a 4th rdr (119 this year) which I'd be good with. 

2 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Boseman struggled at OC and Linsley is a 10-year Vet. I'm thinking that's why they are predicted to select one "early". Their Depth Chart also shows Brendon Jaimes but I'm not familiar with him. 

Chargers have huge holes all over their roster I think they need to be focused on premier positions. They desperately need a OT, WR, DT, CB, LB.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Here's a though I've been kicking around.

I rather give up 98 and sign Sutton to a new 3 year deal at $17.5MM a year with high GTD money over giving up 20 and signing Aiyuk to a 4-5 year deal at $25+MM a year in high GTD money.

Why?

Trading for and signing Aiyuk to WR1 money most likely means moving on from Pickens at the end of his contract, so you better hope he balls out and you can move him for a 1st or 2nd.  Trading for Sutton is a lower entry cost, and he's likely then on a WR2+ contract which means Pickens is an affordable WR1 and you can have both guys.

I think 119 gets it done. Cecil Lammey (plugged in Broncos guy) predicted a 4th round pick. Jeudy just went for peanuts.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

The reason I love the idea of a 4th for Sutton is you take care of one of your biggest needs with a day 3 pick.

Now you have 20, 51, 84, 98 to just hammer the trenches and maybe a CB. 

Absolutely. He had 10 TDs last year (with Wilson btw). He and Washington would provide BIG targets in the EZ. 

Edited by Chieferific

3 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Absolutely. He had 10 TDs last year (with Wilson btw). He and Washington would provide BIG targets in the EZ. 

My only worry with the fit is who is your elite separator among the pass catchers? Who is replacing DJ in that “3rd and 7 4th quarter NEED someone to get open” role?

While Pickens ability to get open is underrated imo, both him and Sutton are known more for contested catch ability. Maybe that guy is Pat F or Calvin Austin 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

My only worry with the fit is who is your elite separator among the pass catchers? Who is replacing DJ in that “3rd and 7 4th quarter NEED someone to get open” role?

While Pickens ability to get open is underrated imo, both him and Sutton are known more for contested catch ability. Maybe that guy is Pat F or Calvin Austin 

I think it is CA3 but the draft is loaded with guys that can fit that role.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Small voice - *Pat Freiermuth is that*

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Yeah, CA3 is the only one that appears to be equipped to dice up the field with quick cuts. That puts a lot on a player that has yet to show it consistently. 

4 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Yeah, CA3 is the only one that appears to be equipped to dice up the field with quick cuts. That puts a lot on a player that has yet to show it consistently. 

His start/stop was not impressive at all to me last year. But he had that in his college tape so it's possible he was not fully recovered from his injury. His college tape was honestly really similar to Xavier Worth to me but against much worse competition. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chieferific said:

Yea, but those teams have so many other needs that spending a high pick on a position that may or may not start that early is a bit of a waste. 

Looking at the chargers they need WR, OT, Wr, Wr. 

2 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

His start/stop was not impressive at all to me last year. But he had that in his college tape so it's possible he was not fully recovered from his injury. His college tape was honestly really similar to Xavier Worth to me but against much worse competition. 

His stop start always had tells to me. I think his size really impacts that ability to separate in small space because a half a yard can be made up so easily. Being long with the half yard is huge. I just don’t see how much he would give in a in cut where he gets the 1 yard and then the throw needs to be on the spot. Like Pickens catch and run score late I. The year, IMO, doesn’t happen with CA or DJ because GOs length is what lead to a high and out throw leading to YAC. 

40 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Because they use him like a high school playbook.  Jet sweep or fly.  It is like they were lost as what to do with him.  Hint.  Watch what KC and the Dolphins did with Hill.  Sure you have to scheme him a free release but look at what you can get.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

Because they use him like a high school playbook.  Jet sweep or fly.  It is like they were lost as what to do with him.  Hint.  Watch what KC and the Dolphins did with Hill.  Sure you have to scheme him a free release but look at what you can get.

I know Smith is a Run-Heavy guy. I don't know his playbook all that well but he doesn't seem to be the type that will scheme up those types of plays for CA3. It may be more of the same "high school" looks. Which would make Muth the chain-mover.