State of the Steelers

warfelg

52 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I see a lot of complaining that holes weren’t filled and 0 suggestions of who we should have signed. Please do not tell me La’el Collins coming off a shredded knee or George Fant, who is not better than Dan Moore.

Did you want us to make Cushenberry one of the highest paid Cs just so that we could take Newton over Barton?

10 mill/year to Biadasz? No thank you

Andre James at 8 mill/year sounds palatable, but then you are committed to a guy who is just “ok” and drafting a high upside guy in the 1st round is a waste.

Mitch Morse would have been great. We brought him in and he decided to sign elsewhere. Probably because he knew we would be looking to replace him ASAP.

And this OT class was HORRIBLE. Jonah freaking Williams got 15/year. Why give out a bad contract to a mediocre OT when this is the deepest OT draft we have seen in recent memory?

Tyron Smith or even Jason Peters might have been an option at OT or maybe even Becton. 

CB - how about Howard?

C - probably will sign Williams if they don't draft one. 

I expect a few more UFA signings after the draft, just not sure who yet anyways. 

1 minute ago, 3rivers said:

even if the draft goes as you would like, what are you expecting for the record and playoff record?

Like the last 3ish years I don’t really care about that.  I would like to see at the end of the year that JPJ is firmly a top CB in the league, Benton has ascended over Larry O, Jones is at LT, and 1-3 of the rookies have developed into starters/high end role players.

1 minute ago, 3rivers said:

Tyron Smith or even Jason Peters might have been an option at OT or maybe even Becton. 

CB - how about Howard?

C - probably will sign Williams if they don't draft one. 

I expect a few more UFA signings after the draft, just not sure who yet anyways. 

Smith, Peters, Benton are no better than those options.  

Howard is toast, rather have Peterson, at least can move.

Williams might not sign until in season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

So taking the best players is bad process. Got it. 

This is pointless fellas. I punt. 

And completely ignoring team needs in the draft is good process!

How about we meet in the middle and take the best players available at positions of need?! (Hint: every single team in the NFL does this).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

As @Chieferific said also, I think I'm out if that's the value. Doesn't mean the Steelers wouldn't do it or that it couldn't work out in the end. I just wouldn't like that trade myself (but then would probably move forward and be excited to see what he does here).

This is what I was thinking though.  If (large if) that scenario hits that @Dcash4 is worried about of top 6 OT, top 3 CB, top 3 WR all gone, I do this deal over that theoretical reach or taking someone like Newton.

Because, again theoretically, you are in the same spot of drafting OC, OT, CB in later rounds, you just get a WR who needs no development rather than reaching for one of those guys.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

As @Chieferific said also, I think I'm out if that's the value. Doesn't mean the Steelers wouldn't do it or that it couldn't work out in the end. I just wouldn't like that trade myself (but then would probably move forward and be excited to see what he does here).

I'd move down to 31 and give a third now. I cut back my original offer...lol. Maybe they feel differently when they see who is available at 1.20, then the Steelers can take a center or Mims if he falls. To give up a 1st rounder and pay him 20 something million per...not worth it. Dude isn't Jerry rice or Randy Moss. 

10 minutes ago, August4th said:

fav draft day memory? for me it's them drafting Ben..I was hyped lol

Drafting Heath.  I said before hand on a now defunct forum that he was a top 15 player in that draft and a 10 year 2 way TE.  Everyone hated the pick because he didn’t work out.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, August4th said:

fav draft day memory? for me it's them drafting Ben..I was hyped lol

It’s this for me as well. Especially all the dominoes it took for us to get him. I remember heading into the draft thinking we were definitely taking Rivers.

It’s funny thinking about how different the draft is now. That we could just sit back at pick 11 and wait for the consensus #2 QB to fall for us.

Compared to know where the Vikings are drafting at 11 and maybe have to give up 2 first round picks and then some to get the consensus QB4 who is largely unproven. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

It’s this for me as well. Especially all the dominoes it took for us to get him. I remember heading into the draft thinking we were definitely taking Rivers.

It’s funny thinking about how different the draft is now. That we could just sit back at pick 11 and wait for the consensus #2 QB to fall for us.

Compared to know where the Vikings are drafting at 11 and maybe have to give up 2 first round picks and then some to get the consensus QB4 who is largely unproven. 

yeah, no way ben falls to 11 in this era's draft. I bet he goes number 1 ahead of eli and Rivers due to his mobility if that 04 class was the 24 class. I think ben would've transferred to a school like Ohio state his final yr and shows out against tougher competition.

59 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

2nd would have been better or a 2nd this year then another pick next year etc....

If this WR class is deep, then SF are probably looking at getting WR with the pick.  

not sure what to make of this, a bit costly  but the player is proven. I was hoping for OT and C to be RD1 and RD2 and the OL set for years but wait and see