State of the Steelers

warfelg

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Thing is he’s still our best IDL depending on Benton. And 2021-2022 he combined for 20 sacks. As long as that dollar amount weren’t mostly GTD you do it. 

I agree, but, as you just mentioned, he's coming off groin surgery, and we don't know how much of a detriment that might be, at age 35+; it definitely slowed him down a bit after he came back.  

Then add in, that the 'press' is making it sound as if his reasoning is solely based on whether he gets an extension or not.  My concern is based upon that scenario.  If it's simply that they are working on an extension, and at the same time, he's taking it easy, recovering, rather than go to a voluntary workout, well, then yeah; we've seen this before with our more veteran stars.

And to you last point, I wholeheartedly agree.  If we sign him to a 2-yr extension at $50M, with $40M being guaranteed, well, then that's not ok.  Any contract where we are able to walkaway, mostly unencumbered at season's end, I'm all for...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

I tend to agree.  I'm torn, as I'd hate to have his Steeler career end in animosity, but he has to recognize, that attempting to squeeze a high-$, 2-yr extension, for his Age 36 and 37 seasons, when he's on the hook for, what, $24M this season, and after missing 1/3 of last season to injury...plus...his effectiveness when healthy, while good, was not quite on par with recent past seasons.  Now, he was coming of a groin injury, but the fact is, his body is getting older, and it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility, that he will suffer further injury over his late-30s.

Plus Cam isn’t going to take an extension that doesn’t come without guaranteed $$$$…its Not going to be all fluff/empty $$$ that would allow them to cut him if necessary with no dead $$$ on the books.

Invest in younger players.

14 minutes ago, AFF said:

Plus Cam isn’t going to take an extension that doesn’t come without guaranteed $$$$…its Not going to be all fluff/empty $$$ that would allow them to cut him if necessary with no dead $$$ on the books.

Invest in younger players.

the DL will the weakness on defence IMO

younger players I agree, but also let Minkah play FS and keep the best DL out there 80% + of the time and don't rotate unless they are tired or injured

Honestly, it’s VOLUNTARY workouts. He’s a veteran, working hard on his own, and trying to do what’s best for him negotiations wise so I have no issues with it. Let’s see what happens when we get to the mandatory camp dates. If he shows up then, still wanting an extension, then he’s doing what he should. This is all a big media issue and may be all about nothing.  I’d like to see an extension, but want it so we can get out of it if he falls off a cliff. 

• Like 2

I was fairly optimistic earlier this offseason, but that's beginning to change. The draft was great and that makes me feel better, but our QB situation, IMO, isn't going to go well. I don't love Russ and was much happier when we signed Fields. After digging a little deeper on Fields, I'm less and less excited. I think they're going to hold us back. Our defense is paper thin at a lot of really important spots too. 

23 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I was fairly optimistic earlier this offseason, but that's beginning to change. The draft was great and that makes me feel better, but our QB situation, IMO, isn't going to go well. I don't love Russ and was much happier when we signed Fields. After digging a little deeper on Fields, I'm less and less excited. I think they're going to hold us back. Our defense is paper thin at a lot of really important spots too. 

I think we have a good recipe. Ground and pound, Russ can just be a game manager with the occasional big play off of PA, Wilson can be the chain mover and then just play solid Defense. However, an injury to the Secondary or WR position and the whole thing crashes down. Also, I don't believe Fields can read a defense and move off his 1st or 2nd option. I don't see him succeeding. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don't love Russ and was much happier when we signed Fields. After digging a little deeper on Fields, I'm less and less excited. I think they're going to hold us back.

I cannot see a single scenario, in which our offense is not better this season.  Both QBs are light years ahead of Pickett.  Perfect?  of course not, otherwise, they wouldn't have been available, but still, so much better than Pickett will ever be.

As far as our Defense, I'm not seeing how we are not better this  season, than last  Donte >> than whoever else was lined up on the other side of Porter Jr.  Our ILBs miles better than anything we put out last season, Heyward couldn't be much more ineffective than he was, Benton is no longer a rookie.  Elliott is a huge upgrade over mis-playing Fitzpatrick, and Kazee...

If you want to feel better, please peruse our starting lineup last season, vs this season.  May not be SB-level, but still better...

Edited by Ward4HOF
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

either way, It seems impossible that our QB's could be worse than what we had. Then consider the OC and OL, it's a night and day difference.  Maybe not what everyone wants, but about impossible to be close to the trash we were dealing with the last 5 years

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, August4th said:

prescot would look cool in a steelers offense....

His price tag would be tough though. Is he really worth setting the QB market? I agree, he'd be fun, and it's not my money we're playing with. 

10 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

His price tag would be tough though. Is he really worth setting the QB market? I agree, he'd be fun, and it's not my money we're playing with. 

I'm probably higher on Fields long-term, than most are, especially in a new offense, and some consistency of leadership, etc., I think he can be good, especially in an offense suited for him, which I think Smith's offense will be.

I guess what I'm saying is that if I had my druthers, barring Wilson taking us to a SB victory, I'd rather move on from Wilson, and start building toward an offense suited to his style of play.  He has all the physical tools/gifts already; to me, it's just a matter of not asking him to read through too much on the field, and find out where his strengths lie, when reading the field on passing downs, and try to stick to something that he can prevail in...