State of the Steelers

warfelg

2 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

To quote the greatest sports movie ever, the Pirates of the Carribean: “they are more guidelines than rules”. Right now we are not in a mode where the good “guideline” of not paying guards or RBs need to exist. We should be stacking as much team wide talent as possible to continue expanding that talent search in the areas that need it. 

John Krasinski Confused Look GIF - JohnKrasinski ConfusedLook OhYeah ...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, warfelg said:

By agreeing to what exactly? That the reasons dcash said make sense? Care to quote where I directly said I’m for it rather than inferring what you want to infer? Just because I’ve agreed with the reasons posters apply logic to the situation doesn’t mean I think it’s a good idea not to extend him. Just because I agree to not overpay doesn’t mean I’m against extending him. 

Here’s the thing…you wanna haggle over a few mill when they will Possibly have a vast amount of needs going into the 2025 season.

No one said overpay…people said market value….you responded with liking “flexibility”…how bout just pay the good players.

Hell @Dcash4 basically broke down how even if they went and got Dak and Aiyuk next year, they’d still be fine with the low year 1 cap hits.

I brought up legitimate points including a breakdown off plausible needs and all you quoted was 1 small thing I said.

You seem to think that Khan has some devious long term plan like he’s Emperor Palpatine before he got thrown down the shaft by Vader…lot of people seem to forget the signings of Larry O/ Neal/Pat Pete/Allen Robinson signings to the tune of what? $15-20 mill in cap hit last year.

1 hour ago, AFF said:

Here’s the thing…you wanna haggle over a few mill when they will Possibly have a vast amount of needs going into the 2025 season.

No one said overpay…people said market value….you responded with liking “flexibility”…how bout just pay the good players.

Hell @Dcash4 basically broke down how even if they went and got Dak and Aiyuk next year, they’d still be fine with the low year 1 cap hits.

I brought up legitimate points including a breakdown off plausible needs and all you quoted was 1 small thing I said.

You seem to think that Khan has some devious long term plan like he’s Emperor Palpatine before he got thrown down the shaft by Vader…lot of people seem to forget the signings of Larry O/ Neal/Pat Pete/Allen Robinson signings to the tune of what? $15-20 mill in cap hit last year.

What? You are making up so much crap about where I stand. 

10 hours ago, AFF said:

Possible needs next year in no order…

QB…WR2 and/or WR3…TE1…RG…RB…at least 2 DL(some combo of Heyward/Ogunjobi/Loudermilk/Leal/Lee gone)…ILB(Roberts FA and Holcomb health)…CB2 and/or slot…SS(depth at least and is Elliot good enough).

Theyre going to have to spend some $$$ in FA next offseason…I would lock in RB and RG with Harris option and Daniels new deal at roughly combined 2025 cap hit of $18 mill but oh well.

Hell let’s even say they give Fields a Love type extension and say 2025 is his chance and they draft …

1st)DL

2nd)RB

3rd)DL

Thats still a lot of issues.

They could absolutely still extend both Harris and Daniels.   I firmly believe at least one of them will be here next year....probably Harris.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chieferific said:

You're one of those "Die Hard is a Christmas movie" guys aren't you?

Does it take place on Christmas eve?  Is there a Christmas tree in it?  It is a Christmas movie 🙂

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 43M said:

Ewwwwww.

Not against extending him, but certainly not at that price.   

I feel like he can be a lower end top 10 receiving TE when healthy, but he isnt consistently dependable.

My guess is that is Smith's offense.  I expected them to get a TE in the next draft.

2 hours ago, 43M said:

Ewwwwww.

Not against extending him, but certainly not at that price.   

I feel like he can be a lower end top 10 receiving TE when healthy, but he isnt consistently dependable.

this is a colbert move

this is a mistake, you keep Daniels and or Harris, not Muth.  Keep the durable consistent players that are counted on more often instead of the fragile player that gets less snaps anyways  

Colbert is in the building  

6 hours ago, warfelg said:

I'm not super worried about this. Pat should be entering his prime years. He just HAS to stay healthy. Hopefully in Smith's offense there's a few more schemed open looks and he can stay a bit healthier. If we don't bring back Pat, what're the options? Sign a most likely overpriced average-ish TE in FA or draft a kid that will probably take 2-3 years to figure it out. TE is still a tough spot to transition into the league at. If he stays healthy, this will look like a steal in 2 years. If he's dinged up, it'll still probably be market rate for TEs. I try not to get too bent out of shape about contracts anyway. It's not my money, and the cap can be manipulated in so many ways. 

• Like 1

Bit of a hot take that leans into some of this conversation regarding future roster build that I am sure will go over swimmingly to some here:

They are setting this up to potentially be Tomlin's last year with the Steelers. 

As I have stated before, just seems odd to have this much cap space and not be using it. What are they saving the money for? Great that they have flexibility, but we can sign the biggest name FAs in 2025, resign all of our current guys, and STILL have money left over.

So what are they setting up a "cleansing" of the roster for...which is where my hot take comes in. Maybe it's to move in a completely different direction. 

My red herring is Donte Jackson. A questionable value trade to start but is a guy we have apparently loved since college and tried to get in FA and a trade last seasons before landing now. He is also at a position group that has no reputable NFL name outside of JPJ on roster in 2025. And instead of taking his $10M cap hit and extending him at a reasonable number...we have him take a pay cut and play to his expiration date. You finally land a guy you LOVE and have coveted but just make him take a paycut? Seems more like a favor than someone they see a future with. 

Take Queen, another highly talked about by Tomlin: big signing, but a deal that he likely doesn't see year 2 of unless he plays pro bowl/all-pro level. They even drafted a guy who could very easily be his replacement. 

I am not saying it's likely, but I think it's non-zero chance that they are setting themselves up for a potential leadership shift. He is going to get an extension, but that plays no role as I don't think the Steelers would ever fire him. Likely a mutual decision to retire/tv (then maybe coach again) or find a suitable place he would want to be traded to. 

I think it's more likely that this is the year that sets up the decision year.... but just a thought.