Where Does Odell Go?

Chiefer

5 hours ago, Chiefer said:

That’s not true😂

Literally just this week has featured chatter about OBJ, Cam Akers, CMC, Brian Burns, D.J. Moore, and Elijah Moore. We're a contender, so anyone relevant who becomes available late gets rumored by someone to us. And the second we made a move to clear space, those rumors ramped up even more.

2 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Reid signed the most “me” player in the history of NFL football in TO. A player who still loves Reid. I doubt OBJ is any worse then that guy in that regard  

Reid's offense has changed a lot since then, and Owens was a much better player than OBJ is right now. You added Owens to be the #1 feature guy in a well-coached, but still relatively traditional offense. You sign OBJ, he's going to be, at best, second fiddle to Kelce. And you don't just need OBJ to run traditional routes, you need him bought in on running the pick plays MVS does to get Kelce and CEH open in the red zone. You need him to motion into the backfield to take attention away from the shovel pass option we're running on the goal line like Hill did and Moore did in camp. You need him to be a reliable blocker. This is why the narrative is there about Reid and rookie WRs, is because you can't have the guy come in and just say run go routes and crossers and beat man coverage, in this offense. The primary read in our offense working is often reliant on the other guys understanding how their route is meant to impact the coverage away from another guy. And you can't have him freelancing and have that work out, either. We have it built into our offense to give Kelce options, particularly against zone, but you can't have multiple guys doing that or the structure that does exist in the play is going to fall apart. There's a reason a guy like Robinson lasted as long as he did here, despite being a pretty crap WR, is because he was good at all the other stuff we needed, the blocking and the rub routes and the taking coverage away from other guys.

You add OBJ and people are going to be wondering why he's seeing a moderate snap count like Moore already is. We have talent at WR, we need to keep letting it develop. I'd rather see Moore or even Watson keep progressing right now, than see us make a desperation add like OBJ.

11 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Literally just this week has featured chatter about OBJ, Cam Akers, CMC, Brian Burns, D.J. Moore, and Elijah Moore. We're a contender, so anyone relevant who becomes available late gets rumored by someone to us. And the second we made a move to clear space, those rumors ramped up even more.

Why would we want Cam Akers? Or CMC? I’ve heard zero rumors about them and we were not in the sweepstakes. We’re never in the RB trade.

none of those players are free agents either. Yeah we can talk about how we want them but trading is another thing, especially when Hunt said not to trade our first round pick because the draft is in KC. 

I lend more credence to Odell because he’s a free agent, and we can just sign him off the street. Even Veach admitted Odell helped the Rams win a SB, and any 1% to help us win one is in the cards

Edited by Chiefer

11 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Reid's offense has changed a lot since then, and Owens was a much better player than OBJ is right now. You added Owens to be the #1 feature guy in a well-coached, but still relatively traditional offense. You sign OBJ, he's going to be, at best, second fiddle to Kelce. And you don't just need OBJ to run traditional routes, you need him bought in on running the pick plays MVS does to get Kelce and CEH open in the red zone. You need him to motion into the backfield to take attention away from the shovel pass option we're running on the goal line like Hill did and Moore did in camp. You need him to be a reliable blocker. This is why the narrative is there about Reid and rookie WRs, is because you can't have the guy come in and just say run go routes and crossers and beat man coverage, in this offense. The primary read in our offense working is often reliant on the other guys understanding how their route is meant to impact the coverage away from another guy. And you can't have him freelancing and have that work out, either. We have it built into our offense to give Kelce options, particularly against zone, but you can't have multiple guys doing that or the structure that does exist in the play is going to fall apart. There's a reason a guy like Robinson lasted as long as he did here, despite being a pretty crap WR, is because he was good at all the other stuff we needed, the blocking and the rub routes and the taking coverage away from other guys.

You add OBJ and people are going to be wondering why he's seeing a moderate snap count like Moore already is. We have talent at WR, we need to keep letting it develop. I'd rather see Moore or even Watson keep progressing right now, than see us make a desperation add like OBJ.

OBJ was second fiddle to Kupp, why would he care about that? Pretty sure that’s what he wants anyways so he doesn’t get 100% of the attention.

So Odell was a freelancer in LA? Really? He just freelanced 24/7 and Stafford had to go looking for him? Somehow I doubt that. With our offense Mahomes plays hero ball and continuously free lances outside the pocket, if anything we need a guy who can see the structure of the play and work outside of it when necessary. Besides that point Odell can run crisp route to get open and beat man coverage. MVS can’t do that, Juju can’t do that, Justin’s Watson can’t do that, and it remains to be seen if Moore can. I think he can get there but he’s a rookie and has to earn it. Hardman can but he doesn’t run his routes correctly or have the knowledge to know how to exploit things when his QB needs him too.

he’s coming off of injury and is a midseason  signing in theory, why would people wonder why he’s getting a moderate snap count? That’s what he got in LA and by the playoffs he was rolling, which is the same play that KC would be looking for. Our talent at WR is turrible, we have no real options that can get open against Man. Keeping Odell out so we can keep Developing a career 5th WR and a 2nd round rookie WR doesn’t really make sense to me.

I’m good either way on Beckham.   Don’t expect a whole lot production wise, but he adds something.   At the very least he’s experienced getting off press out wide.   Think he would let us move Juju around a bit more in formations and get him some more favorable releases. 

CMC/Juszczyk in the backfield with JWJ/Mitchell as rotational pieces to keep CMC fresh.

Deebo/Kittle inside and Aiyuk/OBJ on the outside.

Throw in Lance taking the next step, Cousins or Brady and you have an easy SB favorite.

Edited by biggie.