EDGE Talk

MOSteelers56

38 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Maybe, he’s quite linear. A lot of his power is in the top half, very different build to Heyward.

If he could add 25 pounds, he would be more like Heyward but that is a big change if they are taken in the 1st rather than later

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

If we're talking about taking an EDGE guy and transitioning him to Steelers DE, give me Tuli from USC all day. 

But Tuli is a better EDGe player than a 3 or 5 tech.  Tyree Wilson is the one we are talking about as a IDL rather than an EDGE.  My guess is he would be a good fit as a 5 tech or DT in the Steeler hybrid that they run.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jebrick said:

But Tuli is a better EDGe player than a 3 or 5 tech.  Tyree Wilson is the one we are talking about as a IDL rather than an EDGE.  My guess is he would be a good fit as a 5 tech or DT in the Steeler hybrid that they run.

That makes sense. I agree. 

22 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Any idea what's behind the Van Ness excitement? What am I missing with this guy? He looks powerful, but kinda stiff and sluggish to me. 

The dude is a very large edge rusher who has barely played at Iowa, yet still is crazy productive.  

478 snaps on the season for him only 37 or so a game.  Usually what a top defender has 700-800 or so?  So the assumption is if he works out well at that size, he could be much better potentially down the road if he got more playing time and development.  

28 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

The dude is a very large edge rusher who has barely played at Iowa, yet still is crazy productive.  

478 snaps on the season for him only 37 or so a game.  Usually what a top defender has 700-800 or so?  So the assumption is if he works out well at that size, he could be much better potentially down the road if he got more playing time and development.  

Isn't he also only 20?

51 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah I know what he is on paper, but what are people excited about on tape? I’ve seen people describe him as explosive, but he’s clearly not that. Every rep is a bull rush from the outside and sometimes he’s able to overpower dudes. 

I get that he’s inexperienced, but I assumed that untapped upside would come from flashes of athleticism and twitch. He doesn’t have that, or the ability to bend and flatten - so where’s the growth potential coming from?

Edited by goldfishwars

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Any idea what's behind the Van Ness excitement? What am I missing with this guy? He looks powerful, but kinda stiff and sluggish to me. 

I see a lot of potential in him as a base 4-3 LDE. He's got knockback power on display routinely and has managed to make splash plays in both the run and pass game. He has the size to add some bulk and play 3-4 DE. I don't think he'll ever play inside, even as a base rusher. But he's got jarring hands and all of the tools to become a great player. Also, I'm pretty sure he's uber young, which evaluators are going to like.

He isn't an edge bender, but he walks OT's back into the QB so often that I don't know if you will ever need him to be that bendy guy.

I could see him going at the top of R2.

29 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I see a lot of potential in him as a base 4-3 LDE. He's got knockback power on display routinely and has managed to make splash plays in both the run and pass game. He has the size to add some bulk and play 3-4 DE. I don't think he'll ever play inside, even as a base rusher. But he's got jarring hands and all of the tools to become a great player. Also, I'm pretty sure he's uber young, which evaluators are going to like.

He isn't an edge bender, but he walks OT's back into the QB so often that I don't know if you will ever need him to be that bendy guy.

I could see him going at the top of R2.

He's been going top 15 in some mocks. What are 'all of the tools to become a great player' outside of his play strength? If a young, inexperienced guy shows twitch, burst and flex - then I get the bet on future growth. 

If we're talking an early day two guy, I can definitely see that. 

On 12/22/2022 at 9:47 AM, jrry32 said:

I started evaluating some of the Late Day 1/Day 2 guys. Here are my preliminary thoughts:

1. Nolan Smith EDGE Georgia - Very intriguing. Gives tons of effort, disciplined against the run, outstanding athlete with legit cover skills, has some pop in his hands, plays bigger and stronger than you expect against the run, and when Georgia turns him loose, he flashes some bend and cornering. Doesn't have a ton of true pass rush snaps, as UGA asked him to play a more calculated and disciplined role, so pass rush is a bit of a projection. But he has the tools. Wish he was a little bigger, as I have some concerns about how he'll fare as a true EDGE against OTs who can engulf him with size and power. Could be a stellar OLB in a system that wants a hybrid player (rusher and off-the-ball backer). Has huge amount of upside as an EDGE too. I'm struggling to come up with a comparison. Maybe Julian Peterson or Jamie Collins (when he was motivated and playing well).

Great stuff.

People seem to be down on Smith, but I think a lot of that’s coming from box score scouting and measurables. You’re gonna have to look pretty hard to find evidence of where that lack of size shows up. In fact, his worst snaps are when he thinks he can just run through dudes because he’s got too much confidence in his own power. He’s an absolute dog.

As a rusher, he’s got everything you look for when he’s allowed to pin his ears back and go which isn’t very often. Not least because he’s sat on the bench taking life easy cos Georgia are so far ahead by half time and are rotating guys in. 

When you factor in the intangibles, the team captaincy and all the stuff teams love I just can’t see him landing out of the first round. 

• Like 1