EDGE Talk

MOSteelers56

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

Hes huge, long, and powerful.

But doesn't have great wiggle and has a god awful get off.

That's exactly what I am seeing. Pre-draft I was not a fan and doing a deeper dive post selection hasn't changed much for me. He has some amazing tools to work with, but the fact he's always off the LOS last freaks me out. @jrry32 noted it may be fixable as it relates to reaction time other than just a slow step, but who knows. I want me DE's to be explosive!

6 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

That's exactly what I am seeing. Pre-draft I was not a fan and doing a deeper dive post selection hasn't changed much for me. He has some amazing tools to work with, but the fact he's always off the LOS last freaks me out. @jrry32 noted it may be fixable as it relates to reaction time other than just a slow step, but who knows. I want me DE's to be explosive!

The guy (former prospect) I couldn't shake when watching him was a guy you as a Raider fans should be plenty familiar with: Mario Edwards Jr.  With Edwards as a prospect, the production brought me there and made me want to like him, but the tape just made me keep questioning why the production was what it was.  Don't get me wrong, in an ideal situation, that kind of guy can still succeed in the NFL, but it takes an awful lot.

1 minute ago, Dr LBC said:

The guy (former prospect) I couldn't shake when watching him was a guy you as a Raider fans should be plenty familiar with: Mario Edwards Jr.  With Edwards as a prospect, the production brought me there and made me want to like him, but the tape just made me keep questioning why the production was what it was.  Don't get me wrong, in an ideal situation, that kind of guy can still succeed in the NFL, but it takes an awful lot.

Ah MEJ, what a bummer. He looked freaking sweet in a short time for us before getting injured IIRC. I sure hope Tyree doesn't go that route.

His versatility has been noted a lot throughout the process, and in the presser tonight Ziegler said he'd be playing up and down the line a lot. I question what his best position would be, Edge or interior? I wonder if he isn't twitchy enough on the outside if we'd ever consider him as a DT moreso. 

8 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Ah MEJ, what a bummer. He looked freaking sweet in a short time for us before getting injured IIRC. I sure hope Tyree doesn't go that route.

His versatility has been noted a lot throughout the process, and in the presser tonight Ziegler said he'd be playing up and down the line a lot. I question what his best position would be, Edge or interior? I wonder if he isn't twitchy enough on the outside if we'd ever consider him as a DT moreso. 

He needs a situation where he can be cheated inside on a pseudo-NASCAR package where he's able to use his length to keep DT's from getting hands on his chest then scrape across their face to shoot the B-gap.  Ultimately, long-term, I think his best fit might be a zone-blitzing 2-gap 5-Technique.  Get him stronger (and add meaningful mass) and he does stand potential to evolve into a Cam Heyward type.

Edited by Dr LBC

8 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Does anybody like Tyree Wilson?

I've been a fan for a while.  He was my Edge 2, but he is what he is.  A ball of talent that needs a lot of seasoning, but man, his physical ability jumps off the tape.

• Like 1