EDGE Talk

MOSteelers56

I don't want to say this is the "Official EDGE Thread," but I thought it would be interesting to have some position specific discussion with the prospects. So it seems like Anderson is the top of the class in terms of EDGE as we speak. He's built more like a stand up guy as his weight is below 250. How secure is his top spot? Who is coming for it? How many EDGE guys go in the top 10? Is it a deep class, top heavy, or a little of both?

3 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don't want to say this is the "Official EDGE Thread," but I thought it would be interesting to have some position specific discussion with the prospects. So it seems like Anderson is the top of the class in terms of EDGE as we speak. He's built more like a stand up guy as his weight is below 250. How secure is his top spot? Who is coming for it? How many EDGE guys go in the top 10? Is it a deep class, top heavy, or a little of both?

I haven't scouted everyone, but I can't think of anyone who even remotely challenges Will Anderson's top spot.  Dude is just on another level.  And I usually try to hate on Bama prospects.

BJ Ojulari is one people have ranked high, but Tennessee shut him down completely.  He has NFL blood though.

Myles Murphy has been on a tear lately.  Haven't had a chance to watch much of him, but he has impressive highlights.

Derick Hall was impressive last season.  Haven't watched him this year, but the numbers are good.

Nolan Smith is a beast, but he's even smaller than Will Anderson.

For a more under the radar player, Tennessee's Byron Young is criminally underrated.  Not a super athletic guy, but he gets the job done, and occasionally flashes awesomeness.  Will be a great pickup in the middle to late rounds.

4 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

im skeptical on edge rushers coming out of LSU.  See Chaisson,  Sam Montgomery, Barkevious Mingo...ect.....

Meh, I don't like that line of thinking.  Three different coaches being represented in that group, so there's not really a connection other than that they went to the same school.

Now if we're talking about the same coach and the same system consistently making certain positions, or even players in general, look better than they are, sure.  But just being from the same school shouldn't matter.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Meh, I don't like that line of thinking.  Three different coaches being represented in that group, so there's not really a connection other than that they went to the same school.

Now if we're talking about the same coach and the same system consistently making certain positions, or even players in general, look better than they are, sure.  But just being from the same school shouldn't matter.

yes but BJ is a very much a Finesse edge like Mingo and Chaisson. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

yes but BJ is a very much a Finesse edge like Mingo and Chaisson. 

Are you skeptical of finesse Edges in general?  Because otherwise, it's still no more pertinent to compare him to any other finesse edge that either did or didn't work out than those two.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Are you skeptical of finesse Edges in general?  Because otherwise, it's still no more pertinent to compare him to any other finesse edge that either did or didn't work out than those two.

between the schools history at edge and the finesse of him. i wouldnt touch him till round 2 at the earliest.  

43 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

between the schools history at edge and the finesse of him. i wouldnt touch him till round 2 at the earliest.  

Again, the school's history has nothing to do with his projection.

I'm not even projecting him in the first.  Only game of his I saw had him doing nothing.  But the school's history with a position across several different administrations and different defensive schemes has nothing to do with anything.

It's like worrying about the bad history of dudes named Kevin.

• Like 1

Not an edge rusher, but I could see Bryan Bresee being a 3-4 DE that heavily contributes to sacks and is a potential top pick maybe uh Leonard Williams-like? Isaiah Foskey of ND is going to be in round one discussion, but I don't think he ends up being a 1st round prospect unless he shows progression in that period after the season when they get those private coaches that work on the details. I think he's in the conversation as someone that could rise to the first pretty easily and for a more traditional 4-3 end build if he puts in the work and shows out in private workouts and interviews though I think he'd be on the Bears radar for early second (obviously this is way too early to guess though) and if he impresses and would be an obvious pick there someone could leap them. Nolan Smith from Georgia is the one that could challenge Will Anderson, but I think Will Anderson more or less has it locked up as the first 3-4 OLB/EDGE spot off the board.

Edited by Trojan

6 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

i like them both cuz they definitely long athletic freaks. 

Andre Carter II is very good I agree, probably 2nd best edge guy potentially in the draft but both he and Will Anderson Jr have taken a massive drop in production with the increased attention they get.  

I do wish Anderson got bigger, they said he gained 10-15 pounds of muscle but you do not see it on the field.  He is still pretty thin, he needs to get stronger and add some bulk to get more powerful, able to push guys backwards not just beat them with speed.  Not sure why he does not do that every play, just knock the OT backward and move them at least, get your hands up, do something.  Then again with the offenses that are run, he is basically taken out of the game and he cannot do anything against it because the ball is out so fast he does not even have a chance to rush or impact the game at all.  Sure the fact Bama is without two starting corners does hurt them a lot, teams just pick on Arnold all game long and move the ball easily and Hellams they take advantage of as well.

Isaiah Foskey has kind of disappointed I thought he would be better this year, Myles Murphy played great last week after a slow start.  BJ Ojulari should be a 1st rounder and has been great all year, Brenton Cox Jr has been solid, Garrett Nelson has been great the past few weeks and really dominating.  Jared Verse had some injury issues but is as promising as any, but Baldonado has disappointed I think this year considering how raw and good he was last year, and Zach Harrison has disappointed big time for Ohio State.  KJ Henry has played very good for Clemson and Xavier Thomas is coming on strong after missing most of the start of the season with an injury.  Byron Young on Tennessee, was hard to not be impressed with him against Bama and YaYa Diaby is very promising on Louisville and a great looking athlete.