EDGE Talk

MOSteelers56

On 4/9/2023 at 7:15 PM, Ozzy said:

Lukas Van Ness is a hard comparison, not many like him currently, I would say is a lot like Chandler Jones if he develops more pass rush moves.  Big, long and athletic, Van Ness being more athletic than Jones by a bit.  Could play inside, outside or on the edge.  

A lot like Chandler Jones apart from the fact he has one move, sure. 

Van Ness is fine, but some of the descriptions of him in this thread are wild. He can convert speed to power well, if that's what you think 'explosion' is. But he's not twitchy, he doesn't change direction well - he's the sort of prospect you take at the end of the first, much like Karlaftis. To me, they're the same guy except Karlaftis had a better college resume.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

A lot like Chandler Jones apart from the fact he has one move, sure. 

Van Ness is fine, but some of the descriptions of him in this thread are wild. He can convert speed to power well, if that's what you think 'explosion' is. But he's not twitchy, he doesn't change direction well - he's the sort of prospect you take at the end of the first, much like Karlaftis. To me, they're the same guy except Karlaftis had a better college resume.

Maybe a “Michael Bennett” vibe. Good edge and has versatile value kicking inside or even playing a 5Tech.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Maybe a “Michael Bennett” vibe. Good edge and has versatile value kicking inside or even playing a 5Tech.

Sort of, positionally. I'd say Preston Smith would be a good upside comparison. Schematically, he feels like what the Packers use their outside ends to do - lengthy guys who can shrink the pocket from the edge.

3 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Saw some talk about how Darnell Wright "exposed" Will Anderson. Are these concerns legit at all?

Edit: I read Darnell Washington there somehow.

Wright didn't surrender a sack the whole season, so you could say the same about Ojulari.  But Tennessee's offense gets the ball out so fast, I don't think so.  He didn't dominate Anderson from what I remember of the tape.

Now Branch, that game, got absolutely wrecked.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

Tenn offense will hide issues for many of their players.  I have said it on Wright, who is a good player, but I rarely saw some real edge rusher line up 7-9 tech.  And as @Daniel said, the ball is out so fast or they are playing the run, he is rarely challenged like he will be in the NFL.

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

Tenn offense will hide issues for many of their players.  I have said it on Wright, who is a good player, but I rarely saw some real edge rusher line up 7-9 tech.  And as @Daniel said, the ball is out so fast or they are playing the run, he is rarely challenged like he will be in the NFL.

I would agree wholeheartedly.  Now, that said, I still think, and have said for the entire offseason, that Wright is a first rounder, because most of the time, by the time the ball's out, he's still got his guy securely under control, and he's not getting beaten with speed rushes, or that would still show up.

But IIRC, there were some reps where Anderson was a step from getting away and into the backfield when the ball came out, which is, realistically, Wright getting beaten, even though it won't show up in the stat sheet.

On 1/4/2023 at 7:49 PM, Scoundrel said:

Dude is always first off the ball, where in comparison a player I also really like in Tyree Wilson is the 3rd or 4th Dlinemen off the ball on most plays for Texas Tech

So the more and more i watch him i have noticed this as well.  Didn't really get a chance to go through this entire thread til tonight.   Is this by design for him or is he really just that slow off the line and snap all the time.   I like alot of what i see from him once he is moving but that is scaring me quite a bit.

3 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

So the more and more i watch him i have noticed this as well.  Didn't really get a chance to go through this entire thread til tonight.   Is this by design for him or is he really just that slow off the line and snap all the time.   I like alot of what i see from him once he is moving but that is scaring me quite a bit.

I don’t know much about the Texas Tech Scheme but it just looks like it takes him a little while to get that size/length moving.

Just now, Scoundrel said:

I don’t know much about the Texas Tech Scheme but it just looks like it takes him a little while to get that size/length moving.

That could be a serious problem in the nfl.  The lineman he will see on the daily in the nfl are night and day compared to the avg lineman he see's at texas tech.  If you give nfl starting caliber lineman that much time to get set and get their hands on you.  You are gonna be in for a long long day.   As said i see alot of good with him and his upside and when he did get off the ball fast he was unstoppable at times.  Could very well be a falcons pick at 8 but im a bit worried now the more i watch him. 

Eval on Calijah Kancey is all over the map. PFF has him at #13 and TDN has him at #53. Those seem to be the extremes but 40 picks is a huge gap. 

His RAS card comps him to Aaron Donald, which is unfair, and Ed Oliver which is more interesting. Does anyone have light to shed?

RASlogocardwhite-3.png?resize=263%2C125&ssl=1 Pittsburgh.png?resize=175%2C125&ssl=1 MBpos.png?resize=263%2C125&ssl=1
CALIJAH KANCEY | DT | PITTSBURGH | 2023
  HAND SIZE 9.125 SmallBlackRASlogo-1.png?resize=81%2C21&ssl=1 9.60 ARM LENGTH 30.625  

COMPOSITE SIZE GRADE : VERY POOR

HEIGHT 6010 1.76
WEIGHT 281 1.78
BENCH    

COMPOSITE SPEED GRADE : ELITE

40 YD DASH 4.67 9.95
20 YD SPLIT 2.69 9.94
10 YD SPLIT 1.58 9.95

COMPOSITE EXPLOSION GRADE : ELITE

VERTICAL 33.5 9.50
BROAD 904 8.89

COMPOSITE AGILITY GRADE : ELITE

SHUTTLE 4.36 9.65
3-CONE 7 9.98

ATHLETIC TESTING ON A SCALE OF 0 TO 10

RAS Comps for Calijah Kancey as a DT

Pittsburgh

Hawaii

Western Michigan

Memphis

Houston

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Eval on Calijah Kancey is all over the map. PFF has him at #13 and TDN has him at #53. Those seem to be the extremes but 40 picks is a huge gap. 

His RAS card comps him to Aaron Donald, which is unfair, and Ed Oliver which is more interesting. Does anyone have light to shed?

Kancey is going to be very good. He's in my top 10 prospects. Yeah he's small, but he dominates guys that are NFL caliber. It's not like he was playing against other small players that will all of a sudden get significantly bigger in the NFL. He's ghostly in the way he makes people miss on the interior. I don't care what threshold he meets or doesn't meet--the dude is a game wrecker on the interior.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Kancey is going to be very good. He's in my top 10 prospects. Yeah he's small, but he dominates guys that are NFL caliber. It's not like he was playing against other small players that will all of a sudden get significantly bigger in the NFL. He's ghostly in the way he makes people miss on the interior. I don't care what threshold he meets or doesn't meet--the dude is a game wrecker on the interior.

What do you make of the Ed Oliver comparison? He was a top-10 selection but has not proven to be worth that much.

25 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

What do you make of the Ed Oliver comparison? He was a top-10 selection but has not proven to be worth that much.

I heard Greg Cosell talk about Klancey on the Eagles draft podcast and likened him to Oliver as well. He did differentiate between the two by mentioning Oliver was not anywhere near Klancey as an interior pass rushing prospect....and he never developed much ability to bring pressure as an interior pass rusher in the NFL.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

RASlogocardwhite-3.png?resize=263%2C125&ssl=1 Pittsburgh.png?resize=175%2C125&ssl=1 MBpos.png?resize=263%2C125&ssl=1
CALIJAH KANCEY | DT | PITTSBURGH | 2023
  HAND SIZE 9.125 SmallBlackRASlogo-1.png?resize=81%2C21&ssl=1 9.60 ARM LENGTH 30.625  

COMPOSITE SIZE GRADE : VERY POOR

HEIGHT 6010 1.76
WEIGHT 281 1.78
BENCH    

COMPOSITE SPEED GRADE : ELITE

40 YD DASH 4.67 9.95
20 YD SPLIT 2.69 9.94
10 YD SPLIT 1.58 9.95

COMPOSITE EXPLOSION GRADE : ELITE

VERTICAL 33.5 9.50
BROAD 904 8.89

COMPOSITE AGILITY GRADE : ELITE