EDGE Talk

MOSteelers56

Overall in this entire draft, if you talk prospects coming into the NFL in the last 25 years, I would say Will Anderson Jr is the only one in his draft class that would be top 5 at any position in that time span.  I have Will the #2 3/4 OLB prospect I have ever seen in those 25 years.  This years TE class is great, I do not have any guys top 5 overall but I do have five overall on that list and 3 centers on the list but none near the top.

Von Miller is the only one I have over Anderson Jr, and Von Miller's ability to bend and contort his body on the rush is superior to Will and is the main reason for the nod.  Interesting both had a great season with 17+ sacks then the following year before the draft had a some what down season with each only having around 10 sacks and 17 TFLs.  Will clearly played with a far better team overall and program but Von had less talent around him.  

Will Anderson Jr

6-3 1/2
33 7/8" arm length
9 7/8" hands

40 time: 4.6

10 yard split: 1.61

Vertical:  DNP

225 bench: DNP

Games Played: 41 (3 seasons)

Sacks: 34.5

TFLs: 58.5

Total Tackles: 204

Solo Tackles: 114

Von Miller

6-3
33 1/2" arm length
9 1/4" hands

40 time: 4.53

10 yard split: 1.62

Vertical:  37"

225 bench: 21 reps

Games Played: 47 (4 seasons)

Sacks: 33

TFLs: 50.5

Total Tackles: 181

Solo Tackles: 104

Note I had as true DEs Julius Peppers, Jadeveon Clowney, Chase Young, Joey Bosa, Chris Long and Mario Williams.  Did not include them into the 3/4 OLB position.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Overall in this entire draft, if you talk prospects coming into the NFL in the last 25 years, I would say Will Anderson Jr is the only one in his draft class that would be top 5 at any position in that time span.  I have Will the #2 3/4 OLB prospect I have ever seen in those 25 years.  This years TE class is great, I do not have any guys top 5 overall but I do have five overall on that list and 3 centers on the list but none near the top.

Von Miller is the only one I have over Anderson Jr, and Von Miller's ability to bend and contort his body on the rush is superior to Will and is the main reason for the nod.  Interesting both had a great season with 17+ sacks then the following year before the draft had a some what down season with each only having around 10 sacks and 17 TFLs.  Will clearly played with a far better team overall and program but Von had less talent around him.  

Will Anderson Jr

6-3 1/2
33 7/8" arm length
9 7/8" hands

40 time: 4.6

10 yard split: 1.61

Vertical:  DNP

225 bench: DNP

Games Played: 41 (3 seasons)

Sacks: 34.5

TFLs: 58.5

Total Tackles: 204

Solo Tackles: 114

Von Miller

6-3
33 1/2" arm length
9 1/4" hands

40 time: 4.53

10 yard split: 1.62

Vertical:  37"

225 bench: 21 reps

Games Played: 47 (4 seasons)

Sacks: 33

TFLs: 50.5

Total Tackles: 181

Solo Tackles: 104

Note I had as true DEs Julius Peppers, Jadeveon Clowney, Chase Young, Joey Bosa, Chris Long and Mario Williams.  Did not include them into the 3/4 OLB position.  

Von ran a 4.42 with a 1.57 10 yard split according to my data. The 6.70 3 cone and the 4.06 SS are nasty.

13 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Von ran a 4.42 with a 1.57 10 yard split according to my data. The 6.70 3 cone and the 4.06 SS are nasty.

Not according to this but maybe those were his pro day numbers.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/von-miller/32004d49-4c59-7654-8608-622051b53bd3

I do wish Will Anderson Jr tested more and did the vertical and bench but really his play speaks for itself even if it was pretty sub par last year considering the expectations and all Bama had returning on D.  

True 6.70 is a great 3 cone, but little side note Jack Campbell who people seem to hate, that guy ran a 6.74 3 cone at 6-5 250.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I do wish Will Anderson Jr tested more and did the vertical and bench but really his play speaks for itself even if it was pretty sub par last year considering the expectations and all Bama had returning on D.  

True 6.70 is a great 3 cone, but little side note Jack Campbell who people seem to hate, that guy ran a 6.74 3 cone at 6-5 250.  

Love Jack Campbell

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Also multiple sources have Von at 4.42 with the 1.57 10. Those numbers have been known for a long time and highlighted leading up to the draft… so who knows 

12 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Also, Kancey can still hold maybe ten more pounds of very good weight on his frame so I could see him being 6'1", 290 in the NFL. That's fine for UT. If he was already 290 he might be a top-10 lock.

He can play NT on some downs too. Especially in fronts where it forces 1-1 matchups with the C. Playing 4i-0-4i gives him a 1-1 with the C, essentially. He has done this and toasted those guys. I am not at all worried about his size. Also, his play strength isn’t terrible. He’s fine against the run too. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

What do you make of the Ed Oliver comparison? He was a top-10 selection but has not proven to be worth that much.

It’s a good comp for broad stroke’s purposes, but Kancey has way better hand swipes and does an amazing job keeping his chest clean of contact. Oliver was more of a bull in a China shop with his technique, exploding off the ball and running through any arms. Kancey is more of a ninja, if that analogy makes sense. Just slipperier.

Again, they’re similar athletes, but Kancey has advanced techniques, whereas Oliver may have been a better player from a power/explosion standpoint, albeit marginally. 

13 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I am nervous about Will Anderson because he did not do any of the test that would allow me to compare him with others like Miller and Watt.  I have to assume that he thinks they would only hurt him. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I am nervous about Will Anderson because he did not do any of the test that would allow me to compare him with others like Miller and Watt.  I have to assume that he thinks they would only hurt him. 

And he’s not wrong. He is clearly the #1 defensive player in the class. Would even running a 4.25 40 time help him? No. But if he ran a bad time mysteriously, it could only hurt him. I see no reason to partake in testing if you’re the slam-dunk #1 guy.

Anderson is most certainly a good athlete. Is he an amazing athlete? I don’t care. He embarrassed every OT he went up against with power, bend, anticipation, hand placement, etc…

6 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

And he’s not wrong. He is clearly the #1 defensive player in the class. Would even running a 4.25 40 time help him? No. But if he ran a bad time mysteriously, it could only hurt him. I see no reason to partake in testing if you’re the slam-dunk #1 guy.

Anderson is most certainly a good athlete. Is he an amazing athlete? I don’t care. He embarrassed every OT he went up against with power, bend, anticipation, hand placement, etc…

Huh, Darnell Wright looked like he handled him pretty well…

• Like 2