EDGE Talk

MOSteelers56

Tennessee schemed Will Anderson Jr out of the game in 2022, quick passing for the most part and some clear blown coverages that allowed for some massive gains quickly.  He did disappoint this past year but if him being sub par is 17 TFLs and 10 sacks that is pretty outstanding.  But sure the disappointment because what he was projected to have 20+ sacks this past season and maybe break Derrick Thomas's school record for sacks in a season.   Oh and the Tide with that talent returning on D should have only given up 7-10 points a game if that.  Clearly neither of those things happened.  In 2021 you had way more production around Anderson in terms of sacks, Mathis 9.5, Turner 8.5 and Christian Harris 5.5 sacks, this past season only Turner brought it opposite Anderson and Turner only had 4 sacks and no one on the DL had any big time pressure outside of a game or two from Bryon Young.

In 2021 he did have 2 sacks against Tennessee and in this clip at the 4:44 mark he did beat Wright and does a few other times, the sacks he got were on #66 the other tackle though in 2021.  

I still stand by in terms of absolute elite rare ability in this 2023 draft class, Will Anderson Jr is the only one with it positionally.  I guess maybe instead of #2 I would have him #3 though 3/4 OLB, Terrell Suggs honestly in terms of production and college play has Will Anderson and Von Miller beat.  Suggs ran a 4.84 40 though, obviously that did not matter one bit.  65.5 TFLs, 33 sacks, 14 Forced fumbles is flat out insane and 24 sacks in his final season in college.  

So i like Nolan Smith a bit but my god has anyone been boosted up the boards as much as him?  I remember before the combine most people had him being drafted around the Falcons pick in the 2nd round or a little before that.  Now im seeing left and right the dude being projected as a top 8 to 10 pick over and over again.  I understand he blew the combine up but good lord a event without pads shouldn't be able to boost you up a full round into the top 10 that easily lol. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

So i like Nolan Smith a bit but my god has anyone been boosted up the boards as much as him?  I remember before the combine most people had him being drafted around the Falcons pick in the 2nd round or a little before that.  Now im seeing left and right the dude being projected as a top 8 to 10 pick over and over again.  I understand he blew the combine up but good lord a event without pads shouldn't be able to boost you up a full round into the top 10 that easily lol. 

I had him late 1st to early 2nd pre-combine.  Post combine I bumped him up to about the 18-25 range.

11 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

So i like Nolan Smith a bit but my god has anyone been boosted up the boards as much as him?  I remember before the combine most people had him being drafted around the Falcons pick in the 2nd round or a little before that.  Now im seeing left and right the dude being projected as a top 8 to 10 pick over and over again.  I understand he blew the combine up but good lord an event without pads shouldn't be able to boost you up a full round into the top 10 that easily lol. 

For me he’s Manny Lawson, hyper athletic but the pass rush just isn’t there like you’d think with the athletic testing 

57 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I had him late 1st to early 2nd pre-combine.  Post combine I bumped him up to about the 18-25 range.

Where do you see his ultimate fit or role ending up at the NFL level? He seems like a high character, high level athlete that may not meet expectations if a team pegs him as a top-tier pass rusher, but is more of a really talented off-ball linebacker type that provides some assignment versatility that can be an interesting chess piece for a creative DC.

25 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

Where do you see his ultimate fit or role ending up at the NFL level? He seems like a high character, high level athlete that may not meet expectations if a team pegs him as a top-tier pass rusher, but is more of a really talented off-ball linebacker type that provides some assignment versatility that can be an interesting chess piece for a creative DC.

He can work as a 3-4 edge OLB that you can drop into coverage as well, but I think his best role is actually as an off ball SAM that is sort of split 50/50 between rushing and playing in space.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

I think it was largely because of his injury.  He was projected by some as a borderline first rounder, even before the combine, so I'm not sure being boosted to middle first is that big a jump really.  He had a full year of very solid tape in 2021, and then the time he had in 2022, he was solid and consistent.  He got boosted because he showed that not only is he a consistent player, he's also crazy athletic, and IMO that should be something that boosts you.

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

I think it was largely because of his injury.  He was projected by some as a borderline first rounder, even before the combine, so I'm not sure being boosted to middle first is that big a jump really.  He had a full year of very solid tape in 2021, and then the time he had in 2022, he was solid and consistent.  He got boosted because he showed that not only is he a consistent player, he's also crazy athletic, and IMO that should be something that boosts you.

Im fine with say the 18 to 25 range but im telling you in alot of mocks lately im seeing some 6 to 8 range picks he literally went up a full round lately on boards just based off the combine lol. 

5 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

18 to 25 is about exactly where i expected he should be after the combine not 6 to 10 where alot of mocks are starting to have him lately on quite a few sites. 

6 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

Im fine with say the 18 to 25 range but im telling you in alot of mocks lately im seeing some 6 to 8 range picks he literally went up a full round lately on boards just based off the combine lol. 

Eh, I don't think those reflect the consensus.  There's always some out there mocks.

And if we're counting those, plenty of mocks had him in the first before the combine, so he's still only rising like a half round.

24 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Eh, I don't think those reflect the consensus.  There's always some out there mocks.

And if we're counting those, plenty of mocks had him in the first before the combine, so he's still only rising like a half round.

Always have to remember there are going to be a certain percentage of "reporters" that will just throw **** out there for clicks