EDGE Talk

MOSteelers56

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yeah but it's against the grain isn't it, every time. Flowers is my number 1 too, but we're in a clear minority.

I'm guessing Henley isn't your number 1 LB, Stroud probably is your number 1 QB, DJ Turner probably isn't your 2nd best CB, is Jartavius Martin your number 1 Safety?....

Don't have a top LB, didn't look at that position much. Young is my #1 QB, Witherspoon and Gonzalez are essentially tied for me, both as top 5 non-QBs. I do like Turner a lot as a slot DB though. Wouldn't shock me to see him go late day 1. Branch is my top safety. He's just such a natural, efficient football player. His shorts numbers aren't reflective of his play speed IMO

2 hours ago, DanMullen said:

Not disagreeing, but if that was the case Anthony Richardson would be his slam dunk top prospect at QB and wouldn’t have him rated below 25 year old Hendon Hooker, lol. This ranking is absurd, though.

I mean he doesn’t do just traits and athletic ability across the board lol. He does for edge though for sure

Is it weird that I have some reservations about Will Anderson? I can't shake them. His athletic profile isn't elite and his advanced pass rush grade isn't great. He keeps getting referred to as a 'safe' pick. All this scares me. His production was elite, but there have been lots of guys with elite production that don't pan out in the NFL. I think there is a higher bust potential on Will Anderson than most people think.

8 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Is it weird that I have some reservations about Will Anderson? I can't shake them. His athletic profile isn't elite and his advanced pass rush grade isn't great. He keeps getting referred to as a 'safe' pick. All this scares me. His production was elite, but there have been lots of guys with elite production that don't pan out in the NFL. I think there is a higher bust potential on Will Anderson than most people think.

It's a little weird, yeah.  Doesn't mean you're crazy though.

I think he's great.  His tape is outstanding, you see everything you want on film.  Could he bust?  Of course he could.  But it seems unlikely to me.  I think it's completely reasonable to have a pass rusher or two ranked higher than him.  But I don't think there's a prospect whose on the field production, in this Edge class, comes anywhere close to his.  It's mostly him and traits guys at the top.

The closest ones are Nolan Smith and Will McDonald.  And McDonald's best tape is 2021, while Smith was more "consistent" than "big production."  Maybe Tuli, but I don't know what to make of him anymore.

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Anderson is a bit like Hutch last year (though his profile was a bit cleaner) where you don't know if the absolute upside is there but you know he'll be solid and give it everything he's got (Anderson is an A+ intangibles guy apparently). That said, he's not good enough where I wouldn't trade down given a solid haul.

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Clelin Ferrell was said to be a 'safe pick', too, wasn't he? Hmmmm....

1 hour ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Anderson is a bit like Hutch last year (though his profile was a bit cleaner) where you don't know if the absolute upside is there but you know he'll be solid and give it everything he's got (Anderson is an A+ intangibles guy apparently). That said, he's not good enough where I wouldn't trade down given a solid haul.

Hutch tested really well athletically though. 9.87 RAS with an all-time 3 cone. If Will Anderson was in a class with the top 3 EDGE rushers selected last year, he'd be 4th in my opinion.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Clelin Ferrell was said to be a 'safe pick', too, wasn't he? Hmmmm....

So was Aaron Curry and Jonathan Cooper and so on and so on. That 'safe' label, when it is the main one used to describe a prospect, makes me wary. I'm sure there have been 'safe' guys that panned out just fine, but I want explosive, game changing players, especially on the EDGE. There's a reason Travon Walker went 1st overall last year- the league is all about traits right now. I'm subscribing to that as well.

Traits szn @goldfishwars

2 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

55 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Hutch tested really well athletically though. 9.87 RAS with an all-time 3 cone. If Will Anderson was in a class with the top 3 EDGE rushers selected last year, he'd be 4th in my opinion.

I like Anderson a lot and I was skeptical of Hutch.

I thought he'd be a pretty good player, but had him ranked well below Thibs.

Can anyone tell me why Myles Murphy is still in the 20s in most mocks? He's got great size, great burst, ran well, has good if not fantastic college production. Ok I see people saying he doesn't have a ton of pass rush moves but a lot of guys who get picked in the top 10 don't either, that stuff can be taught. I feel like he should be in the top 10 and maybe above Wilson, he's nearly the same size and has much better quickness

3 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Can anyone tell me why Myles Murphy is still in the 20s in most mocks

Same reason Foskey is projected in late round 2. The tools don't really pop on tape, and Foskey was even more productive than Murphy.

Edited by Jeezla

3 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Can anyone tell me why Myles Murphy is still in the 20s in most mocks? He's got great size, great burst, ran well, has good if not fantastic college production. Ok I see people saying he doesn't have a ton of pass rush moves but a lot of guys who get picked in the top 10 don't either, that stuff can be taught. I feel like he should be in the top 10 and maybe above Wilson, he's nearly the same size and has much better quickness

Austin Powers Small Hands GIF - Austin Powers Small Hands ...

(this is not a genuine answer, just a perfect opportunity to use the gif) 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 3:52 PM, minutemancl said:

A lot of scepticism about Anderson, I've noticed, these past two weeks or so.

I agree, I don't think he's all that. Would be end of first or a second rounder if you added some previous edge talent to this class.