2022-2023 NBA GDT: The regular season is finally over!

11sanchez11

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

So why keep it from happening?

You get enough teams complaining that the buyout market isn't fair, it's bound to change.  This year's luxury tax apron would be at $167.8M.  Right now, only 6 teams (LAC, GSW, MIL, BOS, PHX, and DAL) are currently above that figure.  Only LA Clippers (Russell Westbrook), Phoenix (Terrence Ross), and Dallas (Justin Holiday) signed players who were bought out at the deadline.

I mean, I get what the NBA is trying to do which is to create a hard cap.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

But why though? They wouldn't want to go past the second threshold to save their ability for an in season buyout?

No.  You can't end up above the second treshold post-trade.  Think of it like the hard cap when teams use the non-taxpayer MLE.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Can't take on more money than they send out.  This would have put them above the 2nd luxury tax apron.

How were they able to take on more money then they sent out as a luxury tax team anyways?

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I thought teams had to match salary for a trade to work? 

To an extent, yes.  It's 125% plus 100k over what they're sending out is the maximum they can send back.  So if you're sending out $10M in salary, you can receive back $12.6M.  Under the new rule, you can't take back more than $10M.

• Like 1