2022-2023 NBA GDT: The regular season is finally over!

11sanchez11

8 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

If the Clippers are healthy come playoff time they'll be a tough out. 

That's been true for a couple of years now but the sad reality for them is that the chances they are fully healthy come playoff time is much lower than the chances that they're not. And even if they go into the playoffs healthy they'd have to make it through 4 high intensity, grueling playoff series without getting hurt to win it all. But if they SOMEHOW stay healthy, they are definitely championship contenders.

• Like 1

I do understand why they're re-naming the MVP trophy after Michael Jordan, but I also don't understand why they didn't name it after Kareem.

Overall a good idea though. I like the new names for the trophies.

-The Michael Jordan Trophy for MVP

-The Hakeem Olajuwon Trophy for Defensive Player of the Year

-The Wilt Chamberlain Trophy for Rookie of the Year

-The John Havlicek Trophy for 6th Man of the Year

-The George Mikan Trophy for Most Improved Player

Edited by seminoles1

16 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

Literally your only hope is to foul him and hope the refs don't call it, which happens a good bit. He gets fouled almost every single drive. You can triple team him and form a wall all you want but he has too much touch at the rim and too much passing skill to not either still score/dish for an assist unless you just hit him and try to alter the shot.

You gotta zone him. That said, zoning an NBA team means open shots for everyone else. And they have enough shooters to make it almost impossible to run zone.

What teams did to LeBron during his first stint in Cleveland was let him get his. Focus on stopping the #2 and #3 options and make LBJ irrelevant as a facilitator. Now, Cleveland's #2 and #3 options were hot garbage back then, so it was a little more effective. However, I don't know if you can stop Zion ever, even with additional assets dedicated to him. Might as well try the old Detroit Pistons/Boston Celtics/San Antonio Spurs approach that they did with Bron: Let Zion cook you, but lock down the supporting cast.

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

I do understand why they're re-naming the MVP trophy after Michael Jordan, but I also don't understand why they didn't name it after Kareem.

They have that new Social Justice award they named after Kareem.

I like the renaming of the awards and honoring legends, I just think the design of them are trash.

24 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

You gotta zone him. That said, zoning an NBA team means open shots for everyone else. And they have enough shooters to make it almost impossible to run zone.

What teams did to LeBron during his first stint in Cleveland was let him get his. Focus on stopping the #2 and #3 options and make LBJ irrelevant as a facilitator. Now, Cleveland's #2 and #3 options were hot garbage back then, so it was a little more effective. However, I don't know if you can stop Zion ever, even with additional assets dedicated to him. Might as well try the old Detroit Pistons/Boston Celtics/San Antonio Spurs approach that they did with Bron: Let Zion cook you, but lock down the supporting cast.

I think the problem with this is that if Zion doesn't see a wall in the paint...That man is going for 45-50. I can't wait to see the open looks BI gets when he returns. 

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Part of the reason that worked is LeBron wants to defer to his teammates more than anything, he's a playmaker who wants to get everyone going, that's what makes him LeBron. Zion is a more than willing passer but I don't think he has any issue taking 20 shots in a row at the rim if he's getting 1 on 1s. So it goes back to zoning or forming a wall but even then he's still gonna beat you sometimes and if not, like you said, we have enough shooting to punish it. When BI is out there and CJ is over this hardcore slump at least, shooting has been a little lacking lately.

4 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I mean Hakeem doesn't have the most DPOY awards either. I like it and like the choices of the names of those two awards. 

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean Hakeem doesn't have the most DPOY awards either. I like it and like the choices of the names of those two awards. 

Like I said, I totally understand why it was named after Jordan, I just wasn't sure why they'd overlook Kareem for it considering he's right up there in the GOAT conversation. I also forgot Kareem already has an award named after him, so that helps.

A fair point about Hakeem. He might not have the most, but he's still generally considered the best and most impactful defensive player ever. He's also the only 1 who has won it multiple times that is even close to a top 20 player ever, and thus brings the most clout.

3 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

They have that new Social Justice award they named after Kareem.

I like the renaming of the awards and honoring legends, I just think the design of them are trash.

Totally forgot about the Kareem award. It now makes a lot more sense.

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

Like I said, I totally understand why it was named after Jordan, I just wasn't sure why they'd overlook Kareem for it considering he's right up there in the GOAT conversation. I also forgot Kareem already has an award named after him, so that helps.

A fair point about Hakeem. He might not have the most, but he's still generally considered the best and most impactful defensive player ever. He's also the only 1 who has won it multiple times that is even close to a top 20 player ever, and thus brings the most clout.

That's all it is. Kareem may be in the GOAT debate, but Jordan is seen as THE best ever. Hakeem and Russell are the two most in the convo as the best defensive players ever but Russell already has the finals MVP named after him. 

And yeah, Kareem does have an award named after him but even if he didn't, they would likely go with Jordan.