Prospects sitting out bowl games

smokeybandit

On 11/20/2017 at 9:43 AM, Forge said:

Highly rated prospects really should sit out anything other than the championship game when it comes to the bowl season. All of the other bowl games are glorified exhibition games and mean nothing.  It'd be like having the losers of the conference championship games in the NFL play another game after the loss against each other to see who "finishes" third. It is completely meaningless and there's no reason the a prospect should be risking millions of dollars for it. 

agreed.

Would have problem with any college kid sitting out any bowl game other the one(s) that have a shot to win a championship.

On 12/8/2017 at 10:10 PM, freak_of_nature said:

I don't care if a guy sits out, but if he makes that declaration, he should be formally removed from scholarship the following semester.

Almost half of all sport scholarship players do not graduate anyways, in fact, until the 2000's, colleges automatically flunked out half their football team after their Bowl game and never let them graduate. It wasn't until the media began publishing graduation rates which affected their recruiting, that the colleges made much of an effort to graduate those on sport's scholarships.

I wonder how many college graduates would undergo shock treatments if it was part of their schools graduation program although not an absolute requirement, knowing it just might affect their memory or brain power for life. = none!!!

Any kid is an idiot if he does not sit out his Bowl game if he has any shot at playing in the NFL, he is risking millions for a school that does not give a damn about him.

13 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Any kid is an idiot if he does not sit out his Bowl game if he has any shot at playing in the NFL, he is risking millions for a school that does not give a damn about him.

People have different values. A player isn't an idiot for playing just as he isn't a loser when he decides to sit.

14 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

I don't care if the kid sits out or not, but I don't think it's right, or even logical, that those who choose not to play get their classes paid for during that spring semester. Them playing is the whole reason their on scholarship.

21 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

I don't care if the kid sits out or not, but I don't think it's right, or even logical, that those who choose not to play get their classes paid for during that spring semester. Them playing is the whole reason their on scholarship.

If they are an elite prospect. Them playing for the team the past few seasons was integral in generating far more money for them than a scholarship cost the school. Getting fans into the stands, free advertisement on TV with shows like sportcenter highlighting prospects accomplishments, drawing positive attention for future recruits to the program with their success, etc.

They don't owe the college crap after all of that.  

21 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

I don't care if the kid sits out or not, but I don't think it's right, or even logical, that those who choose not to play get their classes paid for during that spring semester.

What's not logical is your obsession over this minor technicality that impacts a literal handful of student athletes in a country of 350 million people.

It's a chance to get more tape out there against a quality opponent.  Unless you're guaranteed to go in the top half of the first round, you'd more likely be better off playing.  Those that sit out are also going to have questions about their love of the game.  All things else equal, those little determinations come into play.

11 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

It's a chance to get more tape out there against a quality opponent.  Unless you're guaranteed to go in the top half of the first round, you'd more likely be better off playing.  Those that sit out are also going to have questions about their love of the game.  All things else equal, those little determinations come into play.

That's a knife that cuts both ways, though. If you have a bad game (because they happen no matter who you are) that's the lasting impression others have of you. 

Ultimately, the sitting out argument I have is for top 20-30 guys, shoo ins for the first round. Guys outside of that range need all the film they can get, risk and all.

On 12/14/2017 at 3:58 PM, THE DUKE said:

The Combine can accomplish more than tape and if you get injured, you probably miss the Combine and loose a few million dollars. No pro GM would ever question a player sitting out for fear of getting injured. It certainly didn't hurt McCaffery in the last draft??? It is considered a mature decision.

Look, I don't blame players from playing,, it is extremely hard to abandon your teammates, but football is a tough sport and a really mature person looking at getting millions of dollars, would not risk playing and losing out on all that money. Most of the better prospects come from poor homes and even poorer neighbourhoods and a pro career is their only way out for them and their families. Why should they risk all that for one football game, for a college that has already made millions off of their efforts.

If any university was truly decent, they would bench their stars for a Bowl game. Of course, they will never do it, even though they know full well the consequences, if a star player gets hurt before the draft and what it may mean for him and his family financially. The universities have simply become just another business, making money off their employees, except the compensation for a college football player is absolutely peanuts, for all the revenue they generate for their school.

The whole student athlete is already a very dirty scandal and has corrupted American universities to their core. In the old days, they used to flunk out around 60% of their football and basketball players until the media made a big issue of it in the 2000's and forced them to get their graduation rates up to around 60%, otherwise it would still be the practice as it was for 90 years. I wonder how many of their non student athletes, could do all that is demanded of a student athlete and still pass their courses.

Many leave school with numerous concussions and broken bodies, and each game they play, they risk more of the same and some of you want to take their scholarships away if they sit out a Bowl game, boy, the sickness has spread!!!

See what happens when you reach 74 and have seen it all, it diminishes some of the things you once thought were great???

Archived