Week 8: Titans @ Texans

TitanLegend

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

IIRC, didn't they call an RPO on one of the first plays and it ended horribly?  Like one of the sacks or almost INTs or something?

there was a play that looked like an RPO that ended up being an almost-sack because cody hollister was running around in the backfield doing nothing instead of blocking or whatever he was supposed to. malik actually did a decent job squeezing a yard out of it but it was doomed from the start. i'm not 100% sure it was an RPO though, could've just been straight-up play action.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, -Hope- said:

there was a play that looked like an RPO that ended up being an almost-sack because cody hollister was running around in the backfield doing nothing instead of blocking or whatever he was supposed to. malik actually did a decent job squeezing a yard out of it but it was doomed from the start. i'm not 100% sure it was an RPO though, could've just been straight-up play action.

Video evidence 

On 10/31/2022 at 12:53 PM, seminoles1 said:

A lock? He has 2 great seasons so far. He's not even on the radar yet. If he finishes this year great, makes 1st Team All-Pro, and wins OPOY then he might show up on some semi-finalist lists. If he does it again next season then you have an argument.

Closest comparison at that point would be Terrell Davis, but Davis also had some amazing postseason success to back it up.

I'm all about sustained peak over longevity, but 2 years isn't enough.

Pencil him in! The great walrus said it!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

Pencil him in! The great walrus said it!

If he continues what he's doing then I agree, he'll make it for sure.

What I consider a lock is a player who, if he had a career ending injury tomorrow, he still gets voted in. I just don't think Henry is there or even that close at the moment.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

If he continues what he's doing then I agree, he'll make it for sure.

What I consider a lock is a player who, if he had a career ending injury tomorrow, he still gets voted in. I just don't think Henry is there or even that close at the moment.

I think he is a lock at this point. Would he be first ballot tomorrow? Maybe not, but eventually yeah.  
You go by the metric of "could you write the history of the NFL without him?" And the answer to that is no. 
His accomplishments, his highlights.  All that to me, is HOF right now. Terrell Davis only had four 1,000 yard seasons. 

I know guys had more and still aren't HOF, but the impact and way Henry has played. Yeah I think he is a lock, because he has at least 2 more top level, elite seasons in him. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I think he is a lock at this point. Would he be first ballot tomorrow? Maybe not, but eventually yeah.  
You go by the metric of "could you write the history of the NFL without him?" And the answer to that is no. 
His accomplishments, his highlights.  All that to me, is HOF right now. Terrell Davis only had four 1,000 yard seasons. 

I know guys had more and still aren't HOF, but the impact and way Henry has played. Yeah I think he is a lock, because he has at least 2 more top level, elite seasons in him. 

You could absolutely write the store of the NFL without Henry.  He barely has a better resume than Larry Johnson and Todd Gurley right now.

Davis only had 4 1,000+ yard seasons...but Henry only has 3.  Davis also had a much better resume on paper and had a ridiculous postseason career in his short time.  Let's look at Henry vs. Terrell Davis and Priest Holmes

Terrell Davis: 2x Super Bowl Champion, 1x Super Bowl MVP, 1x NFL MVP, 2x Offensive Player of the Year, 3x 1st Team All-Pro, 3x Pro Bowl, 1990s All-Decade Team

Priest Holmes: 1x Super Bowl Champion, 1x NFL Offensive Player of the Year, 3x 1st Team All-Pro, 3x Pro Bowl

Derrick Henry: 1x Offensive Player of the Year, 1x 1st Team All-Pro, 1x 2nd Team All-Pro, 2x Pro Bowl

Both have better resumes, with Davis' being significantly better. 

Like I said earlier, if Henry finishes this season strong and wins another OPOY and 1st Team All-Pro, then he starts getting in the conversation. He'd be right with Holmes, who has only made it to the Finalist ballot once.  But to me, that's not a lock because we literally saw last season that there's no way of guaranteeing that happens.

We're all Titans fans and want our players to make the Hall of Fame, but Henry just isn't there IMO.  Finish this season strong and we have ourselves a conversation.

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

You could absolutely write the store of the NFL without Henry.  He barely has a better resume than Larry Johnson and Todd Gurley right now.

Davis only had 4 1,000+ yard seasons...but Henry only has 3.  Davis also had a much better resume on paper and had a ridiculous postseason career in his short time.  Let's look at Henry vs. Terrell Davis and Priest Holmes

Terrell Davis: 2x Super Bowl Champion, 1x Super Bowl MVP, 1x NFL MVP, 2x Offensive Player of the Year, 3x 1st Team All-Pro, 3x Pro Bowl, 1990s All-Decade Team

Priest Holmes: 1x Super Bowl Champion, 1x NFL Offensive Player of the Year, 3x 1st Team All-Pro, 3x Pro Bowl

Derrick Henry: 1x Offensive Player of the Year, 1x 1st Team All-Pro, 1x 2nd Team All-Pro, 2x Pro Bowl

Both have better resumes, with Davis' being significantly better. 

Like I said earlier, if Henry finishes this season strong and wins another OPOY and 1st Team All-Pro, then he starts getting in the conversation. He'd be right with Holmes, who has only made it to the Finalist ballot once.  But to me, that's not a lock because we literally saw last season that there's no way of guaranteeing that happens.

We're all Titans fans and want our players to make the Hall of Fame, but Henry just isn't there IMO.  Finish this season strong and we have ourselves a conversation.

Great points.

But it is also a different era.  Just like all these WRs won't be locks for HOF even with crazy numbers. 
That was in an era of running the ball. Derrick should have gotten MVP his 2,000 yard year but it's not that type of game anymore. 

He has stood out in an era where it is designed for him not to do so. 
Someone like Justin Jefferson or Diggs would be an absolute lock for the HOF if he was doing what they doing now back then. 
However, they aren't locks now, because SO many guys do what they do. 

But yeah, I think the era they play in is just as important. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Great points.

But it is also a different era.  Just like all these WRs won't be locks for HOF even with crazy numbers. 
That was in an era of running the ball. Derrick should have gotten MVP his 2,000 yard year but it's not that type of game anymore. 

He has stood out in an era where it is designed for him not to do so. 
Someone like Justin Jefferson or Diggs would be an absolute lock for the HOF if he was doing what they doing now back then. 
However, they aren't locks now, because SO many guys do what they do. 

But yeah, I think the era they play in is just as important. 

I'd argue it's more impressive to stand out in an era where running the ball was still a more significant part of the game. The WRs you bring up would have stood out more years ago where as Henry wouldn't have because there was so much competition.

I mean, that was an era where LT didn't even make the Pro Bowl, let alone an All-Pro team, when he had over 1,600 yards at 5.3 YPC and 100 catches.

Even with Henry being as great as he is, he's only made 1 1st Team All-Pro. That's the kicker for me right now. He has to get more of those to have a shot.

Edited by seminoles1

I’m way too invested in the Derrick Henry Hall of Fame talk. I think it’s because watching him weekly, there’s no doubt he’s a Hall of Famer in my mind. However like @seminoles1has pointed out, his resume still falls short of guys not even close to being Hall worthy. If he retired right now, is he more of a lock than guys like Shaun Alexander, Marshawn Lynch or Lesean McCoy? Pains me to say I don’t think so.

I think the goal for him is 10,000 rushing yards and 100 rushing TDs. Only 8 guys have reached those benchmarks in NFL history and all 8 made the Hall (pending AD whenever he officially retires lol). If he stays at the current pace he’s on this season,  he’ll be at about 8,600 career rushing yards and 82 career rushing touchdowns by seasons end. If he can just remain healthy and avoid the dreaded sudden RB decline, he could reach both goals within a season or two. And if that’s the case then we’re talking about him reaching those benchmarks while also putting a historic 6-7 year run. Add him having another potential big playoff moment/game or two and that locks him to the Hall.

I want him in the Hall so bad. May be controversial but I believe he deserves it more than any Titan player ever outside of Bruce Matthews.

Edited by TitanSlim