Question of the Day Thread

vike daddy

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

I think of Jerick McKinnon leaving the team, wanting to be a starter, and not being able to handle the load of it.

I think whereever Mattison goes he'll still just be a rotational piece, but he may get more carries there...sort of like a Mark Ingram to someone else's Alvin Kamara (although the Mark Ingram in the past, since he's not getting that many carries this year).  

48 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Alexander Mattison... trade or keep? Assuming he is gone at the end of this season.

i've read that few teams would really trade for him as it would be half season rental on his existing contract. assuming we wouldn't get much because of those variables, is it better to just keep him as a usable backup?

At this point, keep Mattison. There isn't a team that is going to offer anything much higher than the compensatory pick we'll likely get. 

My only caveat to that is if it is a player for player trade that nets us a good slot CB or a DE. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Alexander Mattison... trade or keep? Assuming he is gone at the end of this season.

i've read that few teams would really trade for him as it would be half season rental on his existing contract. assuming we wouldn't get much because of those variables, is it better to just keep him as a usable backup?

As long as he's on the Viking roster he will be a backup barring injury to Cook.  I think he deserves a shot at being a full-time starter in the NFL. He also might be more valuable as trade bait to the team. Maybe. 

It is also a good time to trade him as he is due to hit free agency...yet, that might limit offers to one or two teams.  I could see Buffalo and the Jets being interested. 

26 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

how much of a contract salary is Mattison likely to fetch next year from someone? what's he getting paid now by us?

Spotrac says he makes about $1.1M, but his market value is barely above twice that (they list his comparisons as Jamaal Williams and Mike Davis).  I'd think he'll get a little more than that, somewhere around $3M-$4M, but we'll see.  

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

Spotrac says he makes about $1.1M, but his market value is barely above twice that (they list his comparisons as Jamaal Williams and Mike Davis).  I'd think he'll get a little more than that, somewhere around $3M-$4M, but we'll see.  

Is $3M-$4M enough for a 6th round compensatory pick or would that be 7th round? This year Byron Pringle counted at the seventh round level with an average value of $4.125M, but Hayden Hurst counted at a 6th round level with an average salary of $3.5M according to OTC. The difference seems to be primarily due to the number of snaps the player was used.  Mattison, being a rotational piece, doesn't get a huge number of Snaps.

And getting a 6th round compensatory pick assumes the Vikings don't sign a free agent that would offset the loss.

To get more than a 5th round pick looks like it would require Mattison to sign with a team for an average of around $10M or more per year. I doubt that happens, but if Mattison can find that it would be great.

I wouldn't let compensatory ramifications stop me from trading Mattison, but I wouldn't trade him for other reasons. He is too valuable of a backup on the current squad that has shaped up to be highly competitive through the first seven weeks of the season. I don't know what the Vikings would be looking to trade Mattison at all.  Sure, if someone offered a 3rd round pick they would have to listen, but who would offer a 3rd round pick?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

The Vikings could potentially set themselves up for the next decade-plus if O’Connell and general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah are able to hit on the next franchise quarterback.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/vikings-skol-search-will-levis-cj-stroud-bryce-young/?itm_source=parsely-api

who could he be...?

Seems like there's roughly 20 games left to figure this one . . . Say the Vikes win the SB and Kirk's a major reason why.  Strategizing . . . why sign him 2-3 more years at $45M/yr . . . crazy right?  But, if you draft a guy each year in 2023 and 2024 and 2025, you have 2 1/2 years plus to figure out if one of them's the guy.  

At 33 years of age, would I give Kirk a guaranteed contract, even if he wins the SB with the Vikes?  I just can't imagine doing that personally, but the guys with the checkbook probably see money streaming from all over should the Vikes win the big one.  

A couple names I'd throw out there are guys who will test well enough to be 1st rounders physically, but not be top-10 guys (at least I don't think they will be).  First, I like Hendon Hooker, and he may slide a bit due to age.  He's leading a really good team having beaten 'Bama.  They play Kentucky and Georgia the next 2 weeks, so there'll be a lot to learn on him.

Next up is Cameron Ward from WSU, who's only a junior.  He's in his 1st year at the D-1A level having moved up from Incarnate Word.  The guy is slippery in the pocket and has a really good arm.  Unfortunately, WSU isn't winning bunches of games and some of that has to do with not being able to run the ball.  The other part is he takes quite a few sacks holding the ball too long.  I'm thinking Rds 3-5 for him.  

Finally, my homer pick is Mark Gronowski of SDSU - Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks!!!  He's only a sophomore and had a year off due to injury rehab.  If he leads the Jacks to a national championship the next 2 years, he'll be every bit as hot a commodity as Carson Wentz or Trey Lance were.  He's got better pocket presence than them, but not as good a runner (although he will take off and take what's given).  I'm not sure how his arm ranks with the other QBs, but he sure seems to sling it while SDSU's running a balanced offensive attack.  

I know these aren't truly popular prospects in most guys' eyes; however, I'm looking at getting value without upsetting the apple cart while Kirk is in house.  If Cousins is still on the roster and starting at 36 or 37 years of age, I'm thinking we're dancing on cloud 9 for having won 2 Lombardi's or KOM blew it in controlling the cap and drafting guys with the leadership and physical skills it takes to stay at the top of the league.  

19 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Maybe controversial, but best FA since Cousins?

Looking at the revolving door at QB a lot of teams have this might actually be the answer.

I am open to more suggestions though!

Edited by viking
  • Like 2