Question of the Day Thread

vike daddy

1 hour ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I'd say Hutch . . . Cousins is working his way to being a superb FA acquisition.  Hutch was worth every penny from snap#1.  

Antoine Winfield and Phat Pat were Pretty good FA’s, too. But yeah, Hutch was awesome. Remember the ‘poison pill’ clause? 

15 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Monday morning wants to know:

why are we so flat in 3rd quarters?

Peter King: "Vikes are a strange team—7-1, winners over Washington 20-17 after being down 17-7 and being flat offensively much of the day—and we don’t know how good they are. They’re on a six-game winning streak, with an average margin of 5.6 points a win. “I’m not really paying attention to the outside world,” Kirk Cousins said post-game. “If people do underestimate us, I like it that way. We don’t need to be recognized now.” Foes have out-rushed and out-passed them, and opposing QBs have a higher passer rating than Cousins. But Minnesota’s been a good fourth-quarter team (70-37 in points) and there’s something to winning the close games consistently, seeing that so many games are one-score games."

While the one-score games are more frequent for the Vikings, this season for the Vikings is fairly similar to the 2019 Packers, who also started 7-1 (with their only loss also to the Eagles) on their way to a 13-3 season and a loss to the 49ers in the NFCC.  

Edited by swede700

32 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Monday morning wants to know:

why are we so flat in 3rd quarters?

I think there are a couple of reasons, but mostly I think it's O'Connell learning on the job. The other teams are making halftime adjustments based on what worked after the first scripted drive or two, and the Vikings are having to figure out how to combat that later in the game. Being able to throw wrinkles in that will catch the defense off guard is the next step for him as a play caller.

I'd also say that it seems to be different each week. Krik's accuracy goes one week, the receiver are dropping balls the next week, or the play calls seem goofy given what the defense is doing.

All in all, I think they're learning. One of these weeks it will probably catch up to them.

• Like 1

The Vikings are #31 in the NFL in ToP in the 3rd quarter.  (And for the record, Washington is #1 in the NFL in the same by a clear 2.5% over #2, Jacksonville).  That's one explanation.  In the other quarters, the Vikings are 16th (1st), 15th (2nd) and 12th (4th).  If you don't have the ball, it's hard to get a rhythm.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, viking said:

Would you rather the Vikings beat the Bills on Sunday or complete the sweep of the NFC North?

Personally I'd rather the Vikings complete the sweep

No, I'd rather beat the Bills.  It'd be nice to sweep the North, but if they lose to the Bills (unless it's real competitive and they still lose) and just sweep the North, what does that really mean in the grand scheme of things?  Sweeping the North doesn't get a ring...it'd be like the Colts when they put up an AFC Finalist banner...beating the Bills or being ultra-competitive and losing means there's hope.  

Edited by swede700