Daron Payne Dilemma

RSkinGM

Keep him, sign him long term , ( if even possible ) Franchise when we have to if he doesn't sign or trade him now for a 3rd rounder/ Maybe a second ? He's having a fine season ( don't you hate those players that play so well in their contract season - hard to trust in them. ) I think he absolutely makes Allen better by being next to him . 

He'll probaly want a contract close to what Allen got-matter of pride. 

Unfortunately they painted themselves in a corner. Had Mathis not gotten hurt and shown promise, it would soften the blow. By releasing Ioannidis and not resigning Tim Settle, they ruined their depth and declared that Daron Payne would not receive a contract extension. They essentially have to pay him market value, trade him for whatever they can get, franchise tag him or let him walk.

25 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Unfortunately they painted themselves in a corner. Had Mathis not gotten hurt and shown promise, it would soften the blow. By releasing Ioannidis and not resigning Tim Settle, they ruined their depth and declared that Daron Payne would not receive a contract extension. They essentially have to pay him market value, trade him for whatever they can get, franchise tag him or let him walk.

I don't think he would stay here for market value. 

They are idiots.

I say pay him.  The only reason they could have been thinking about not paying him is because they wanted to pay Wentz and plan on paying Sweat.  Wentz won't be on team next year.  Sweat is an average player at his position, Payne is at minimum above average and often elite.  I wouldn't pay sweat.  Frankly, I would try trading Sweat.  Just suck it up and pay him.

I hate the idea of getting high draft picks, actually making a good pick, and then literally just letting that player walk with zero effort in retaining him.  You go look around this forum and see how many threads we are already thinking about draft picks.  Well what is the point of putting all that emphasis there if we don't keep the good picks?

• Like 1

So here’s the thing. The unit is actually starting to gel. There are ways to extend and move money to later years and in bonuses to where you can pay each of these guys and make your trade after you’ve maximized on your investments. We’ve invested in this unit you don’t blow it up before their paid and peaked. You work the cap however you got too but the way the LB’s are playing behind these guys right now you don’t weaken a unit we already complained how thin we made it this offseason. 

Payne doesn’t miss time. He’s the strongest of the group and he has a quicker burst off the snap then all the others and it forces OL to key on him freeing things for other guys a lot of the time. We haven’t even scratched the surface of what this DL and defense as a whole can be. Yes we need to resign Curl and Cole and get ahead on those two. But this is why after you pay these guys you draft guys to ultimately full depth and develop when it’s time to move whichever one you deem expendable before they as a group peak to maximize return. 

• Like 2

Here’s to the Washington way! Waiting far to long to make a decision on what to do with a pending free agent. Kirk, Trent, Brandon & now DaRon.  We’re most likely going to lose DaRon eventually whether it’s this next off-season or the one after. The front office won’t recognize reality and I’m sure we’ll miss out on at least one draft pick while choosing not to trade him if he won’t re-sign. 

I count at least 2 firsts & 2 seconds that we lost in deciding not to trade those 4 players that all of knew we were eventually not going to have on our roster (well Payne in time) it’s just malpractice from our front office.

CBS has a trade of Payne to New England for a second in 23' and 24'. What sucks is he's starting to become a dominant player and we're stuck in this situation because these dummies have no eye for this stuff. Its just unbelievable how often this franchise messes these situations up. 

• Like 2