GDT Week 8 TNF Edition: The GOAT vs. Ryan Succop

AFlaccoSeagulls

1 hour ago, bmorecareful said:

I think we had a certain game plan then Bateman and Andrews went down and we settled in… Not to mention I think for the first time I can remember Roman setup his second half adjustments by what he did In the first half… it was almost like we saved our real game plan for the second half so the Bucs couldn’t adjust to what we had going on… I was very impressed Lamar went 8/8 with 2TDs after halftime… On a side note we desperately need WR help… hopefully we bring somebody in during this mini bye before the bye… But I doubt it… it seems like we really think desean Jackson gon save the day… But I think Bateman going to IR so even if Jackson can help we still need somebody… With Kolar coming back we might get away with rest Andrews if this is how likely gon look… I pray marks shoulder isn’t too bad and we can get him back after the bye… Good team win tonight… 

Harbaugh and several players said their gameplan tonight was to start by throwing to spread out their weak secondary and see what they could get, then tire them out in the 2nd half.

I mean, whatever. 2nd half gameplan was at least solid. First half gameplan sucked balls, especially if you're trying to "spread out" a weakened secondary with 3 TE's on every snap.

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Wrong guy, I was a major Hill advocate pre and post draft. Was also the first to highlight just how good he is on special teams.

He's clearly a stronger runner right now though and it seems like his improved vision is helping him get to top gear quicker.

I definitely agree he's a stronger runner between the tackles, and his vision is improving. That twitch/agility/burst has always been there and something I really wish this team would've utilized sooner in his career but I'm happy he's starting to pan out.

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Count To 5 Boston Celtics GIF by NBPA
This aged like cheese.

Guess we can get back to analyzing DVOA as a legitimate tool again then?

Guess you can’t hop off my nuts then?

Went to bed at half. Happy to see we won. We looked like absolute garbage first half. Maybe next time you’ll participate in the discussion during the game and not just wait until after to try and find one of my posts to play “gotcha!”...that seems to be your only purpose in life nowadays 😂😂😂

Edited by Ray Reed

6 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

YO, where's CuckSmith and AFlockOfSeahawksFan?

I want to see pages of posts about how EDC/Harbs/Lamar need to get kicked out of town and then debate the intricacies of what clutch is.

Went to bed at half. I get up at 5. The team looked like hot garbage in the first half.

Why don’t you point to one time this season where I ever said I wanted to fire those guys/debated “clutch” with you?

Never have. You made the entire “clutch” argument up to argue with yourself, lmao. Have never once used that word other than making fun of you for arguing with yourself about it.

All i’ve done is talk about the team looking bad the past few weeks...because they have. And that was the obvious popular sentiment of how they looked in the half of football i watched while i was commenting on the game

And for some reason you’ve let that damage your fragile personal ego enough to where your entire shtick on this website is just evolved into this sad fake persona where you ignore what’s happening during the game if it’s anything negative and run your mouth about other posters after the game if they happen to win

Get my name out of your mouth when you watch the games. Watch the football and stop viewing everything through the lense of “heheh what does Ray Reed think about this i wonder 😏

Talk about cuck. You can’t watch a football game without defaulting  to how it relates to me 🤣

Edited by Ray Reed

Alright Raven fans, its time for our annual group hug. Bring it in, fellas (And ladies if you out there)

Lebron James Hug GIF by NBA

With that part out of the way, I did get to see like the first quarter before work starting working and they looked terrible. Glad to come back and see the 4th quarter. Glad the boys pulled out a win. Heard Likely balled out and happy to hear it. Just wish he would've done that when he was on my fantasy team. I'm still not a Roman fan and never will be, but glad to see them put up some points and get out the rut. Let's take this mini bye and then go handle business with the Saints.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Guess you can’t hop off my nuts then?

Went to bed at half. Happy to see we won. We looked like absolute garbage first half. Maybe next time you’ll participate in the discussion during the game and not just wait until after to try and find one of my posts to play “gotcha!”...that seems to be your only purpose in life nowadays 😂😂😂

You’ve got an inflated ego. If I strongly disagree and/or strongly agree with someone, I will state my viewpoint.

I just find it ironic that after grave digging a discussion we had to claim how “correct” you were about Ronnie Stanley months after the discussion, the one where you lied and tried changing your position,

Spoiler

(and conversely LIED about what I said- claiming I said he’d be ready by week one and claiming you were right to have guessed he would take some weeks when that was an absolute lie as you actually said he was “done”.)

you are now getting bent out of shape about me commenting on your post just a few hours after the fact? Seems soft.😆

Anyways back to the point. You claimed a couple weeks ago that DVOA wasn’t reality and that we “are what our record says we are” and seemed to infer that we were mediocre to below average.

So I just want to know if at 5-3 (above average to good record) and not 4-5 (below average), if maybe “reality” will allow us to get back to appreciating DVOA?

9 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

You’ve got an inflated ego. If I strongly disagree and/or strongly agree with someone, I will state my viewpoint.

I just find it ironic that after grave digging a discussion we had to claim how “correct” you were about Ronnie Stanley months after the discussion, the one where you lied and tried changing your position,

Hide contents

(and conversely LIED about what I said- claiming I said he’d be ready by week one and claiming you were right to have guessed he would take some weeks when that was an absolute lie as you actually said he was “done”.)

you are now getting bent out of shape about me commenting on your post just a few hours after the fact? Seems soft.😆

Anyways back to the point. You claimed a couple weeks ago that DVOA wasn’t reality and that we “are what our record says we are” and seemed to infer that we were mediocre to below average.

So I just want to know if at 5-3 (above average to good record) and not 4-5 (below average), if maybe “reality” will allow us to get back to appreciating DVOA?

If it coincides with the reality of team's record, and not used to completely ignore a team's performances and place in the standings, sure. Two weeks ago we were a 3-3 team coming off of multiple horrific 4th quarter meltdowns and straight up bad 2nd half execution and people were trying to just explain away the struggles because of DVOA. That's a big difference from using it to supplement what you see on the field. It's the same thing as when people always point to how good a team's DVOA is that missed the playoffs, or vice versa. Who cares. The football outcomes we care about as fans are the wins and losses. So the attitude of trying to trivialize the terrible losses we had watched as fans by saying "don't worry about it, DVOA" was always my issue. Not the metric itself.

23 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

If it coincides with the reality of team's record, and not used to completely ignore a team's performances and place in the standings, sure. Two weeks ago we were a 3-3 team coming off of multiple horrific 4th quarter meltdowns and straight up bad 2nd half execution and people were trying to just explain away the struggles because of DVOA. That's a big difference from using it to supplement what you see on the field. It's the same thing as when people always point to how good a team's DVOA is that missed the playoffs, or vice versa. Who cares. The football outcomes we care about as fans are the wins and losses. So the attitude of trying to trivialize the terrible losses we had watched as fans by saying "don't worry about it, DVOA" was always my issue. Not the metric itself.

I think the point of DVOA is that it’s predictive. Most fans regardless of how much of football fanatics they are, just don’t have the chance to watch every game of every team.

At most they might watch a few games a week. So their perceptions of teams across the leak will be the flawed eyeball test from the one time they caught other teams play weeks ago or the previous season, while with their team they’re seeing all the ebs and flows.

DVOA is good for its predictive analysis, so using it to argue the quality of the team at 3-3 when most of the league was also 3-3 made sense then IMO.

I do agree that at some point the tool works it’s way into irrelevance, such as your example of a team that misses the playoffs vs one within the playoffs, unless the topic is considering what we might expect from a team the following season (assuming continuity) or arguing how one playoff team is particularly overrated.

2 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I think the point of DVOA is that it’s predictive. Most fans regardless of how much of football fanatics they are, just don’t have the chance to watch every game of every team.

At most they might watch a few games a week. So their perceptions of teams across the leak will be the flawed eyeball test from the one time they caught other teams play weeks ago or the previous season, while with their team they’re seeing all the ebs and flows.

DVOA is good for its predictive analysis, so using it to argue the quality of the team at 3-3 when most of the league was also 3-3 made sense then IMO.

I do agree that at some point the tool works it’s way into irrelevance, such as your example of a team that misses the playoffs vs one within the playoffs, unless the topic is considering what we might expect from a team the following season (assuming continuity) or arguing how one playoff team is particularly overrated.

This is a good point that I'll concede...it does make a lot of sense within that context. With the league as a whole playing very mediocre ball this year it probably was a lot more informative than I wanted to believe at the time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Wrong guy, I was a major Hill advocate pre and post draft. Was also the first to highlight just how good he is on special teams.

He's clearly a stronger runner right now though and it seems like his improved vision is helping him get to top gear quicker.

I was admittedly so done with the guy. Even posted that he should likely be cut instead of Badie. 

I'll own it, I was wrong. Won't be last time either. 

• Like 1

Thinking back to last night, the thing I've thought about this morning is that it is pretty clear still that we can't pass even when we want to, and that's going to haunt us in the playoffs.

We were going against a broken secondary and our 1st half gameplan was specifically designed to pass the ball, and we couldn't do it. If I was other NFL teams looking at that, I'm feeling pretty good about facing this team if you get a lead or in any situation where the ravens can't run the ball come playoffs.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Thinking back to last night, the thing I've thought about this morning is that it is pretty clear still that we can't pass even when we want to, and that's going to haunt us in the playoffs.

We were going against a broken secondary and our 1st half gameplan was specifically designed to pass the ball, and we couldn't do it. If I was other NFL teams looking at that, I'm feeling pretty good about facing this team if you get a lead or in any situation where the ravens can't run the ball come playoffs.

Just watched the rebroadcast on amazon. I legit think Andrews going out snapped Lamar out of a funk. He couldn’t just rely on spamming double covered prayer throws to Andrews in the 2nd half and he looked a lot more precise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Making sweeping generalizations of what a team can and can't do based on a Thursday night road game is ill advised. The games are always slop, I'm grateful we played a dominant second half and came out with a win. 

• Like 1