Derrick Henry is starting to close in as a Top 10 RB of all time

mdonnelly21

I think it's too soon. If he finishes this season REALLY well and leads the league in yards and TDs again, then we can start discussing. I'm always more of a "peak is greater than longevity" guy, so his lack of total yardage won't deter me. But you do have to have a combo of both peak and longevity once you start talking about the absolute best ever.

As of this moment, Derrick Henry has 2 great seasons. You have no argument as a top 10 player at your position ever with only 2 great seasons.

1 hour ago, mdonnelly21 said:

Also that he's coming off of injury too... 

Exactly. An injury that left a lot of people saying he was washed and Taylor was better. I get it must be hard for the AFC South fans of the other teams though because I’d be also bitter if the same player Leota steamrolling us twice a season like I was with Luck. 

• Like 1

If he leads the league in rushing this year, then he's in that conversation easily.

Henry had a 2,000 yard season, then was on pace to have a second one when an injury derailed him.  And that's after he led the league in rushing the year before, which is already a feat.

Had he finished last season out, he'd be the only player ever IIRC to rush for 2,000 yard twice, and only the third ever to lead the league in rushing three years straight.

I know that's a what if, but the pace he was on was going to completely shatter the rushing record, and I don't see how you don't account for that.

• Like 1

It's the playoff run that is his legacy more than anything else imo. Going 182 against the Patriots, and then running over Baltimore for 195 the next week is insanity. Then he went for 2000+ the following year. That 2019-2020 was absolutely special especially for an RB to be the identity in today's game like that. For all time career it's too short as of right now with the Demarco Murray timeshare to start his career. He is more Marcus Allen tier and not clearly clearing in the "gap" in the OP, imo.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

If he leads the league in rushing this year, then he's in that conversation easily.

Henry had a 2,000 yard season, then was on pace to have a second one when an injury derailed him.  And that's after he led the league in rushing the year before, which is already a feat.

Had he finished last season out, he'd be the only player ever IIRC to rush for 2,000 yard twice, and only the third ever to lead the league in rushing three years straight.

I know that's a what if, but the pace he was on was going to completely shatter the rushing record, and I don't see how you don't account for that.

Because it didn't actually happen. Do you currently consider Tyreek Hill the record holder for yards in a season?

4 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

That's gonna be a no from me dawg.

Ladainian Tomlinson 48 games 4,751 yards 61 TDs, 167 catches 1,353 yards 8 TDs, 1,169 touches 6,104 yards 69 TDs, 6 passing TDs

That was in 3 years.

You are right.  I also overlooked Faulk's run from 1998-2001.  I was mainly focusing on rushing totals rather than both rushing/receiving, but those seasons by LDT and Faulk were insane.

Still, Henry's run has been one of the best, especially his rushing production.  If he holds up, 4 straight years of 100 yards on the ground per game.  I think only Jim Brown can match that, although Dickerson did it 6 times in 8 years.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

but it’s a 1st down….

If 3.4 YPC resulted in first downs every 3 runs every single time they yes but obviously it doesn’t. It was a hypothetical point to your comment. It’s difficult to appreciate the greatness of a player who owns your team every season but hopefully you will once he’s retired or actually begins to slow down. Until then like I said just before I understand your bitterness. 

24 minutes ago, Titansfan said:

If 3.4 YPC resulted in first downs every 3 runs every single time they yes but obviously it doesn’t. It was a hypothetical point to your comment. It’s difficult to appreciate the greatness of a player who owns your team every season but hopefully you will once he’s retired or actually begins to slow down. Until then like I said just before I understand your bitterness. 

3.4 x 3 is 10.2, meaning it is in fact a first down. You don’t know simple math?

No bitterness over here. I get the pleasure of watching the best RB in the AFC South weekly.

5 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

That's gonna be a no from me dawg.

Ladainian Tomlinson 48 games 4,751 yards 61 TDs, 167 catches 1,353 yards 8 TDs, 1,169 touches 6,104 yards 69 TDs, 6 passing TDs

That was in 3 years.

You have to include Priest Holmes' if you're going to talk about 3 year stretches... The GOAT 3 year stretch:

42 games, 4,590 yards 56 TDs, 206 catches 1,976 yards  5TDs -- 1,166 touches 6,566 yards 61 TDs

That ends up being 27.8 touches per game, 156.3 ypg, 1.5 TDpg

LT: 24.4 tpg, 127.2 ypg, 1.4TDpg

• Like 1

He’s not there yet, but he’s knocking on the door. Maybe if he didn’t get hurt last season when had almost 1,000 yards like, halfway through the season. That would’ve jolted him into this “best three year span” territory, even without the receiving production. But short of a TD kind of playoff run, which I’m not really sure you can do nowadays, then he has more to prove. 

He’s been the best we’ve seen this side of prime Peterson, though. 

1 hour ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

3.4 x 3 is 10.2, meaning it is in fact a first down. You don’t know simple math?

No bitterness over here. I get the pleasure of watching the best RB in the AFC South weekly.

You know what I’m saying you’re just being your usual obnoxious self. Besides you obviously haven’t factored in penalties etc if we’re being so pedantic. I have no problem with simple maths thank you. Just gets difficult sometimes trying to explain things to someone who doesn’t know simple football it seems. 

Edited by Titansfan

42 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

You have to include Priest Holmes' if you're going to talk about 3 year stretches... The GOAT 3 year stretch:

42 games, 4,590 yards 56 TDs, 206 catches 1,976 yards  5TDs -- 1,166 touches 6,566 yards 61 TDs

That ends up being 27.8 touches per game, 156.3 ypg, 1.5 TDpg

LT: 24.4 tpg, 127.2 ypg, 1.4TDpg

Yeah, Holmes and Faulk both have insane ones too (same with Shaun Alexander, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, etc). The crazy thing about LT is he has a completely separate 3 year stretch of:

47 games 4,663 yards 44 TDs, 232 catches 1,655 yards 6 TDs, 1256 touches 6,318 yards 50 TDs, one passing TD

Edited by Bullet Club