Vikings trade for TJ Hockenson

swede700

T.J. Hockenson also had a historic stat line as the Vikings ran out their first half lead.

His 10 catches, 128 yards and touchdown made him the first tight end in NFL history to have 10+ receptions, 125+ yards and a touchdown all in a single half.

https://kstp.com/minnesota-sports/cam-bynum-wife-lalaine-arrives-for-vikings-saints-game-and-players-discuss-win-over-new-orleans/?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KSTP-TV&fbclid=IwAR12QFHkFII2CP5_SmNU1gLNbMBN3MFF2ly13M_JUgCnaD3SRWo8SmKkWjY

• Like 2

Through just 10 games this season, Hockenson already has 71 receptions, which puts him on track to blow by the 86 he hauled in as a career-high last year. At 681 yards, he should have a chance to surpass the 1,000-yard mark for the first time in his career, and with four touchdowns to his credit, topping his career best of six seems to make sense as well.

As Dobbs continues to acclimate to the offense and weapons around him, you can bet that Hockenson will remain among his most trusted security blankets. The tight end position often allows for a reliable checkdown option, and having a talent like Hockenson at that position elevates the opportunity a significant amount. Dobbs should continue to rely on the superstar tight end, and Minnesota stands to benefit from him doing so.

Paying a second-round pick to a division rival isn’t an ideal outcome, but getting a player as good as Hockenson from the Detroit Lions was beyond worth it. Minnesota was not going to find this type of talent with that pick, and being able to plug him in immediately was nothing short of exceptional.

For years, the Vikings hoped that Irv Smith Jr. would become something of substance. There was a desire to find the peak version of Kyle Rudolph or the great tight ends of yesteryear. In Hockenson, it’s arguable that Minnesota has the best to ever play the position in franchise history, and watching him on a weekly basis is beyond a treat.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/analysis/hockenson-has-proven?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Through just 10 games this season, Hockenson already has 71 receptions, which puts him on track to blow by the 86 he hauled in as a career-high last year. At 681 yards, he should have a chance to surpass the 1,000-yard mark for the first time in his career, and with four touchdowns to his credit, topping his career best of six seems to make sense as well.

As Dobbs continues to acclimate to the offense and weapons around him, you can bet that Hockenson will remain among his most trusted security blankets. The tight end position often allows for a reliable checkdown option, and having a talent like Hockenson at that position elevates the opportunity a significant amount. Dobbs should continue to rely on the superstar tight end, and Minnesota stands to benefit from him doing so.

Paying a second-round pick to a division rival isn’t an ideal outcome, but getting a player as good as Hockenson from the Detroit Lions was beyond worth it. Minnesota was not going to find this type of talent with that pick, and being able to plug him in immediately was nothing short of exceptional.

For years, the Vikings hoped that Irv Smith Jr. would become something of substance. There was a desire to find the peak version of Kyle Rudolph or the great tight ends of yesteryear. In Hockenson, it’s arguable that Minnesota has the best to ever play the position in franchise history, and watching him on a weekly basis is beyond a treat.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/analysis/hockenson-has-proven?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Hockenson may BECOME the best Viking TE ever...but right now the title belongs to Steve Jordan. 

Edited by Captain Relax
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

And Kleinsasser really played H-back, which really is more fullback than Tight End.  Hell, Hockenson is probably going to have more catches in 2 yrs as a Viking than Kleinsasser had in 13. 

I don't think anyone would suggest Kleinsasser's main value was related to his pass catching ability and certainly not his run after the catch abilities.  He was a devastating blocker.  It is hard to compare him to a guy based on their pass catching ability.  Kleinsasser was, IMO, clearly the best blocking TE the Vikings have ever had.  That Tice pressed him into service in the backfield and he was able to do that so well to me is further testament to his abilities.

I have no problem with the someone thinking Kleinsasser was the best TE in the team's history. I do assume they value blocking TEs a lot more than receiving TEs, and there is nothing wrong with that.  I think in today's game receiving TEs are more important than they used to be, but I wouldn't judge Kleinsasser based on what he would mean to teams today. 

One thing I know for sure, Jimmy Kleinsasser was a great one. I would love it if Oliver ended up being anything close to what Kleinsasser was. Hockenson is a different animal, and I love what he is becoming too.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

One thing I know for sure, Jimmy Kleinsasser was a great one.

Yeah, I don't think anyone questions that...but Jordan is still probably the best one in Vikings' history at doing both (he actually led the team in receptions in both '85 and '86).  I have no issue with Kleinsasser being considered the best blocking TE. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

Kleinsasser was drafted as a tight end in the second round of the 1999 NFL Draft. He demonstrated remarkable durability throughout his career, playing in all 16 games up to 2010, except for missing 15 games because of an knee injury in 2004.

In 2007 and 2008, Kleinsasser was named to USA Today's All Joe Team honoring hard workers and under-recognized players. He continued his 13-year career with the Vikings in the 2011 season. He ranked second in team history for starts made by a tight end with 119, and ranked fourth in catches by a TE in Vikings history. His blocking skills also paved the way for seven of the top eight single-season rushing marks in Vikings history, including Adrian Peterson's then team record and NFL leading 1,760 yards in 2008.

Kleinsasser retired at the end of the 2011 NFL season after 13 seasons with the Vikings.

wiki

• Like 1