Bears trade for Chase Claypool

beardown3231

20 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I just don’t know how you take a guy off all 4 special teams so you can run a jet sweep in the 3rd quarter.

I very much get what you're saying, I also think that this will often sort itself out due to injuries every week.

But Velus will for sure be Poles' first real draft capital test. Not so much this season, but will he hang on tooth and nail to a guy he reached on in Day 2 of the draft? Thats a really bad GM tendency, that only the best can really get out of their own way. 

34 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

So who are you benching to activate a 6th WR?

I also disagree that sitting down Harry, ESB, or both does anything to help the offense develop?

It feels like you would be forcing WR7 into the line up because of where he was drafted.

No one said sitting ESB or Harry…I said Perry’s or Pringle…for me ESB & Harry are long term depth options…

I would be putting him in the lineup to see if he is more than WR7…as of now he has had next to no oppertunity

23 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I knew you were.

I just don’t know how you take a guy off all 4 special teams so you can run a jet sweep in the 3rd quarter.

I also don’t know how you go to ESB or Harry and tell them that they are sitting now. Both have been positive contributors to the offense.

Who are you talking about?

1) Mooney

2) Claypool

3) Harry

4) St. Brown

5) Velus

6) Pettis

Those are our 6, no?

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Who are you talking about?

1) Mooney

2) Claypool

3) Harry

4) St. Brown

5) Velus

6) Pettis

Those are our 6, no?

Are you talking about Velus?   He plays special teams.

So does Pettis.

Pringle is odd man out with Claypool in.   

Pringle would have to be better on offense than Harry or St. Brown or become better on specials than Pettis to make it back in I would think.

I think Velus as a 3rd round pick and his explosive running ability stays on almost regardless unless he keeps dropping balls.

But I remember Amari Cooper had a big drop problem his rookie year.  And it was all anybody talked about with Jamarr Chase early on as well.

A scouting report on Velus in college:

Although Jones’ 3,000+ kick-return yards with no muffed attempts is intriguing in its own right, he is a legitimate offensive weapon. On 162 career targets, Jones recorded just 9 dropped passes, as he has some of the surest hands in the class. Jones spent most of his time in the slot — 80% of his snaps in 2021 –, and that is where he best projects to the NFL.

Every body drops balls at some point.  He has just had some big drops early in his career in big moments.  Doesn't mean that is who he is.

It could be if everyone gets in his head about it.   Can be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

46 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

No one said sitting ESB or Harry…I said Perry’s or Pringle…for me ESB & Harry are long term depth options…

I would be putting him in the lineup to see if he is more than WR7…as of now he has had next to no oppertunity

I am not sure you can bench Pettis we don’t have another PR. I am not really interested in going back to the clown show return game.

Pringle would be interesting, but do you really think that Poles wants to do that to his free agent signing. I would expect Pringle to ask for his release if he is a health inactive.

35 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Are you talking about Velus?   He plays special teams.

So does Pettis.

Pringle is odd man out with Claypool in.   

Pringle would have to be better on offense than Harry or St. Brown or become better on specials than Pettis to make it back in I would think.

I think Velus as a 3rd round pick and his explosive running ability stays on almost regardless unless he keeps dropping balls.

But I remember Amari Cooper had a big drop problem his rookie year.  And it was all anybody talked about with Jamarr Chase early on as well.

A scouting report on Velus in college:

Although Jones’ 3,000+ kick-return yards with no muffed attempts is intriguing in its own right, he is a legitimate offensive weapon. On 162 career targets, Jones recorded just 9 dropped passes, as he has some of the surest hands in the class. Jones spent most of his time in the slot — 80% of his snaps in 2021 –, and that is where he best projects to the NFL.

Every body drops balls at some point.  He has just had some big drops early in his career in big moments.  Doesn't mean that is who he is.

It could be if everyone gets in his head about it.   Can be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Velus doesn’t actually play special teams. He watches kick offs go over his head and then jogs off the field. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Interesting that over the past 3 seasons Claypool is #5 in the NFL on yards gained in tight-window throws (less than 1 yard separation from the DB)...he will win those jump balls that our receivers lost out on against Dallas.

this especially. the balls Velus and ESB dropped would likely be caught by CC. same with the Pettis drop from a few games ago (honestly, there might be a couple i'm thinking of. 

17 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I suspect we carry 7 and cut Jake Tonges...

Where it becomes really interesting is on gamedays and who will be inactive...could simply come down to the match up that week or how guys practice.

honestly, and i know i've said this before/a lot, but if we could still cut pringle and get back into the green for a comp pick, that seems like the best outcome. i was thinking that before we traded for CC, but i think he would come back and at best be what, the 4th/5th target out the team? behind 11, 10, 85, 32/24 - maybe even 8 or 19 too.

if he was signed for another year past this, then it wouldn't make sense, but he's played in, what, 2 games all year? any draft pick we "get" for him would make it a positive, and it's not like we're above eating the money. better late than never fixing mistakes, and it seems like Poles takes emotion out of his decision making so far. 

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

this would be like Zimmer cutting carlson after spending a 5th round pick on him because he missed a couple kicks in the first two games of his career, then going to OAK where he became an all-pro kicker

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am not sure you can bench Pettis we don’t have another PR. I am not really interested in going back to the clown show return game.

Pringle would be interesting, but do you really think that Poles wants to do that to his free agent signing. I would expect Pringle to ask for his release if he is a health inactive.

Blackwell has had reps as a punt returner as well…I also don’t think Velus is completely done there either…

I think if Poles is smart he would do it to a guy signed for a year rather than a guy signed for four years.

the most annoying part about this trade is people (bill barnwell) being like, he was really good his rookie year, but his really fell off his 2nd year

2020 - 62/873/14.1/9 

2021 - 59/860/14.6/2

besides TDs, it's identical. yes, you would like to see growth, but he only needs to average 62 yards/game to hit those numbers again. it'll be a little difficult considering we average like, 170/game now, but if he can catch the balls other guys are dropping, i don't see how he can't get to at least 50 yards/game for the rest of the season at least. 

12 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

the most annoying part about this trade is people (bill barnwell) being like, he was really good his rookie year, but his really fell off his 2nd year

2020 - 62/873/14.1/9 

2021 - 59/860/14.6/2

besides TDs, it's identical. yes, you would like to see growth, but he only needs to average 62 yards/game to hit those numbers again. it'll be a little difficult considering we average like, 170/game now, but if he can catch the balls other guys are dropping, i don't see how he can't get to at least 50 yards/game for the rest of the season at least. 

It also doesn't take into consideration how much worse Big Ben and the Steelers offence got...Fields will be by a distance the best deep ball thrower Claypool has ever played with...the hope is they make each other better.

Edited by Madmike90

28 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Blackwell has had reps as a punt returner as well…I also don’t think Velus is completely done there either…

I think if Poles is smart he would do it to a guy signed for a year rather than a guy signed for four years.

But Pringle is the better player. Pringle has proven that he is a very real NFL #3 WR.

My guess is he will step right back into a prominent role on offense.

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

But Pringle is the better player. Pringle has proven that he is a very real NFL #3 WR.

My guess is he will step right back into a prominent role on offense.

Pringle is a better player...right now...doesn't mean he will be a better player in 2 years when we really need talent to compete...I am not sure Pringle will be here even next season.