Draft pick watch

Louis Friend

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

Emmanuel Forbes seems a bit under-rated at that point.  One guy who seems really good but might be under-sized is Devon Witherspoon.  His play speed seems really fast and seems to have really sharp instincts.

Forbes is legit. I don't know why people are sleeping on him.

Also wouldn't mind Texas A&M S Antonio Johnson as a NB/S. He's big, long and has range. 

22 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Forbes is legit. I don't know why people are sleeping on him.

Also wouldn't mind Texas A&M S Antonio Johnson as a NB/S. He's big, long and has range. 

CBs, WRs and LT usually rise as we get closer to draft day.  He has shown consistently good ball skills.  He is already in the late-first, early second round range.  If his triangle numbers are good he will probably end up in the first round.  This class of CBs seems pretty deep.  It might be a good year to double up on the position.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

CBs, WRs and LT usually rise as we get closer to draft day.  He has shown consistently good ball skills.  He is already in the late-first, early second round range.  If his triangle numbers are good he will probably end up in the first round.  This class of CBs seems pretty deep.  It might be a good year to double up on the position.

Would be ideal

39 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I'd like to see us add a NB and an outside guy. 

3 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I'd like to see us add a NB and an outside guy. 

This might be the first year Brad Holmes signs someone other than a prove-it/bargin basement free agent.  Jerry Jacobs is a very good #2 CB but we need a lot more.. 

I was hoping Jeff Okudah would put it together a little more now that he is healthy and gotten a lot of reps but he continues to be an enigma.  It is mind-boggling to see him try to cover someone with his arms straight down and his hands at his hips.  His play over the last two weeks has regressed noticeably just when we are hitting the most important games of the season.  I don't see how he could be considered a long or short-term solution at #1 CB.

Will Harris is our slot #3/Slot CB.  He has shown improvement but he isn't lighting the world on fire either.

Our DB room should get some pretty significant upgrades in the off-season if we are going to take another step forward.  Riley Moss seems like a prospect that would be a pretty good #3CB/Slot CB as a rookie.

Edited by Just Want A Title

I'd really like to know what they are doing with Melifonwu. They drafted him to be a big bodied outside CB and he had a little success. Then they tried moving him to S and it's been a trainwreck. I'd like to see him get another shot at CB and not stick with him at S where he doesn't excel. At least give him a few games to see what he can do. 

11 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

This might be the first year Brad Holmes signs someone other than a prove-it/bargin basement free agent.  Jerry Jacobs is a very good #2 CB but we need a lot more.. 

I was hoping Jeff Okudah would put it together a little more now that he is healthy and gotten a lot of reps but he continues to be an enigma.  It is mind-boggling to see him try to cover someone with his arms and his hands at his hips.  His play over the last two weeks has regressed noticeably just when we are hitting the most important games of the season.  I don't see how he could be considered a long or short-term solution at #1 CB.

Will Harris is our slot #3/Slot CB.  He has shown improvement but he isn't lighting the world on fire either.

Our DB room should get some pretty significant upgrades in the off-season if we are going to take another step forward.  Riley Moss seems like a prospect that would be a pretty good #3CB/Slot CB as a rookie.

I feel like Will Harris is going to be brought back as a depth piece. They seem to have finally figured out a role for him where he can be effective in limited snaps. 

Okudah is an enigma. I can see us adding a vet CB along with a higher end rookie (1st or 2nd round). There isn't enough of a sample size to put all of your faith in Jerry (who was a UDFA) and you can't rely on JO. 

30 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I'd really like to know what they are doing with Melifonwu. They drafted him to be a big bodied outside CB and he had a little success. Then they tried moving him to S and it's been a trainwreck. I'd like to see him get another shot at CB and not stick with him at S where he doesn't excel. At least give him a few games to see what he can do. 

I think they might have made a mistake in having him switch positions.  He got put into the lineup and wasn't horrible as a rookie.  This could be a function of the Lions playing the long game by letting him rep and learn now that he is healthy with an eye on 2023.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Jalen Carter is rated pretty high by most draft evaluators but the profile below describes some work ethic concerns.  Has anyone else heard anything like this able Jalen Carter?

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2023jcarter.php

I haven't heard that before but that would be something that would be a big concern for this staff IMO. 

12 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I haven't heard that before but that would be something that would be a big concern for this staff IMO. 

My guess is that would be a hard-pass for Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell unless they think it is a maturity issue that he is ready to grow out of.  For what it is worth, the same type of rumor swirled around Kayvon Thibodeaux and he seems to be doing OK.  If there is any truth to that rumor, I am sure the Lions scouts will figure it out.