Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

19 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

"We don't want Love stuck throwing to trash non-1st round players like Driver, Jennings, Nelson, and Adams!" 

Truly one of the best narratives over the past few years. 

What is everyone’s take on OT as a priority ? Imo it’s one of the most interesting positions . Are they fully confident with Bahktiari like they said? How high are they on Tom/Yosh? For the record, big Yosh fan. Lot of OTs will be available at 15

7 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

What is everyone’s take on OT as a priority ? Imo it’s one of the most interesting positions . Are they fully confident with Bahktiari like they said? How high are they on Tom/Yosh? For the record, big Yosh fan. Lot of OTs will be available at 15

I think OT is tied for best value at pick 15 with EDGE, WR, and CB. There are players at the same tier at each of these premiums around our pick. I think CB is behind the other 3 in terms of needs for current roster, though.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I think OT is tied for best value at pick 15 with EDGE, WR, and CB. There are players at the same tier at each of these premiums around our pick. I think CB is behind the other 3 in terms of needs for current roster, though.

I agree. There’s a lot of OTs they can like at 15.

I wouldn’t be upset drafting a Tackle , it’s just not my first choice. I’m confident in Yosh and Tom. 

For me, it’s JSN or trade down. I’m not a proponent of first round WRs, but we have to give Jordan every chance to succeed. If he’s not there, trade down and get the TE you covet the most. 

45 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

"We don't want Love stuck throwing to trash non-1st round players like Driver, Jennings, Nelson, and Adams!" 

You  realize those guys were all from a different GM, right? The issue many have with Gute was him going away from this formula. Every few years need to spend higher picks on wrs. Waited until it was too late but hopefully learned the lesson. 

Edited by PackFan13

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I think there is a high probability that if Johnson or Jones is still on the board at #15 the Packers will make the pick.  

I'm not sure Johnson makes it past the Bears. If he does, I think the Jets take him. If the Bears take Johnson, I think the Jets take Jones. If Jones is available at #15, I think the Packers take him. After all, he is from Georgia. 

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I bet this statement works every 1 in 5 draft classes or so

Problem is they both will probably be gone.  Yah mock drafts are an excercise in futility.  Used to do them back in the day.  Be lucky  if I'd hit on one player.  Especially when it comes to the Packers.  They have a habit of coming out of left field.  Like routinely.  

Pretty sure they would love to snag a top OT if one fell though. 

For myself, either JSN or Johnson Jr. if they are still on the board at #15 (unlikely), but if not, then try to trade down into the 20's and then take your pick of TE's. If they can't manage to trade down and are stuck at #15, then I'd consider an Edge like Murphy, a RT like Darnell Wright, or a CB.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I wouldn't say I'm heavily pro-first round WR more than any other position, but we have to restock the cupboards.

Since our last playoff game we've lost Adams, MVS, Lazard, Cobb, Tonyan and Lewis. There's a deficiency at both WR and TE, and if the value is right we will fill those positions on the first couple days of the draft.

7 hours ago, Sandy said:

I wouldn't say I'm heavily pro-first round WR more than any other position, but we have to restock the cupboards.

Since our last playoff game we've lost Adams, MVS, Lazard, Cobb, Tonyan and Lewis. There's a deficiency at both WR and TE, and if the value is right we will fill those positions on the first couple days of the draft.

Our WR room is bad.  Which is different from being talentless.  We have 3 young kids with nice to great potential.  And after them, it's rough.  To make matters worse, 2 of our 3 kids had injury issues last year.

It's the lack of bodies that tells me we need more there.  And if it is in round one?  By all means, do it.  But we need two in the draft.

TE room is even worse.  We need two.

EDGE would be nice, but not quite the need as those two are.  But still one is needed for sure.

OT would be nice, but again, not quite the need as those first two positions listed.

Safety is also needed.

So the draft.  Deep on the EDGE.  Can probably get a nice one in round 2.  TE...deep class.  Round two and later.  OT...not sure I like this class outside of the top few.  WR...I'm really not loving this class outside of the top couple of players...then the others are probably 4th round or later guys.  Maybe turd round as well.

Kindda lines up for OT or WR in the first for me, as far as needs and my armchair analysis of the draft.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Carter and Anderson definitely overrated if you think they're in a tier of their own.

We can agree to disagree on that point. Here is one source that points out what I'm saying. Clearly not the end all be all. Let's put it this way, the difference between what we can get in early to mid-round 2 is closer than the difference between these two and who we'd take at 15. 

We both likely throw out a QB and Bijan Robinson. 

2023 NFL Combine Results - NFL.com