Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

16 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Take?  Sure.  Trade up for?  Not a chance.  Don't need to read the article.  Just NO.

Depends on the trade. To get JSN, you're probably talking about having to trade up to 10 or 11 to get in front of the Texans at 12. Could you do that by only giving up a 3rd? I'd be fine with that to get a player like JSN. (This would be even easier if we first got #13 from the Jets and gave them #15). 

Look at it another way. Last year, the Packers happily gave up an extra 2nd round pick to get Christian Watson. Why would this case be any different? JSN is a better player than Watson, especially coming out of college. 

It all comes down to how the Packers feel about JSN in comparison to (a) the rest of the WR class, and (b) the guys likely available around pick 15. Maybe they don't love JSN's game as much as Kruse does (frankly, I'm right there with him). Do they really love guys like LVN and Murphy despite their average explosion testing? Do they think Nolan Smith weighs enough? Do they want a still-developing OT like Johnson or Jones or do they think Tom is already the answer? There are serious questions you can raise about pretty much every prospect in this draft after the top 2-5 guys, none of whom will make it to 15. 

Bottom-line is that JSN is likely not only the safest pick for GB in the 1st round, but would easily be the most impactful player in this draft for both Jordan Love and the team, especially when you look at the rest of the roster as it current stands. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

He wants guys you can move around, are we sure that JSN is going to work on the boundary?

Like it feels like the WR they covet is Quentin Johnson and it's not close.

I'm sure they have Johnston higher, but we absolutely run 3 WR sets, and JSN is absolutely capable of playing outside. 

8 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

JSN is a questionable fit in the offense since he's probably a slot, and LaFleur doesn't really feature one.

That's your opinion on JSN, which you're entitled to. I view JSN is a JJ-light. They are basically the same player but JJ is bit more explosive overall. Movement wise, and their ability to get open, they are nearly identical. I think saying JSN is a "slot only" player is kind of a lazy take, and regardless, who cares -- Kupp is a "slot only" WR and one of the best WRs in the league. 

If you don't see those qualities in him, then yea, I wouldn't be entertaining trading up for him, or even taking him at 15. 

11 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

He wants guys you can move around, are we sure that JSN is going to work on the boundary?

I think we have the exact opposite feelings on JSN and Johnston. I'd probably take Johnston in the late 20s, early 30s, but that's about it. He's not in the same league as JSN for me. 

20 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I dunno 'bout the specifics, but one Draft Magazine(yeah yeah, armchair GMs like the rest of us) compared him to Greg Jennings.

14 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I put that in there just for you. 

3e6019a9-b1ac-42d9-a809-d9211489314c_tex

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I think we have the exact opposite feelings on JSN and Johnston. I'd probably take Johnston in the late 20s, early 30s, but that's about it. He's not in the same league as JSN for me. 

Absolutely the same.  JSN's underneath game would compliment Watson running deep very well.  Johnston, I just don't see it with him.  I don't know exactly why. 

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I am not the master of knowing how a CB translates to safety, but the little I have seen, I think Porter Jr, Witherspoon, or Douglas could play safety in the classic centerfield role.  It may work to pair them with a guy like Tariq Carpenter, who is built like a LB.  

It seems to me that the WR value for Packers types is in the 4th round or so.  The only early guy that truly fits the Packers is Quentin Johnston.  And I can't put my finger on it, but there is something that I don't like about him.  I see all the athletic numbers, but I don't see that guy on the field.  Or maybe I am just wearing my hater glasses.  

QJ, I went into watching his stuff being very skeptical.  Still am.  Routes are not crisp.  Didn't seem to like traffic catches.  But man oh man, that quick acceleration and agility really jumps out.  To me, he's a boom or bust kind of guy.  

Like I feel like the ceiling for him is higher than someone like JSN.  And the floor is lower.

I haven't watched Porter Jr as a corner.  Witherspoon could be a great star or safety near the LOS.  Not sure if you want him deep covering space.  I like him in the fray.

Douglas, too.  I don't see him defending space well, but I do see him looking good attacking plays near the LOS.

I hate that we are pinning our hopes of good safety play on the disappointing Savage.  But at least he's done it before...at a high level...and he has the wheels. 

8 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

I dunno 'bout the specifics, but one Draft Magazine(yeah yeah, armchair GMs like the rest of us) compared him to Greg Jennings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz7uxlLDs1o

There is all of Greg Jennings TDs with the Packers.  There was a video of him at Western Michigan, but that may be lost to time.  Jennings was very smooth.  I *think* Jennings looks faster than JSN.  But they are both super smooth.  

• Like 1