Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

Just now, vegas492 said:

BTW....getting a cracked/split tooth pulled tomorrow, then I'll feel better.

Had emergency oral surgery to remove a back bottom molar in January. Thank the lord for hydrocodone cuz that was a brutal one. Dental surgeon looked me dead in the eyes and said "I haven't worked that hard in months" after taking it out lmao.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Had emergency oral surgery to remove a back bottom molar in January. Thank the lord for hydrocodone cuz that was a brutal one. Dental surgeon looked me dead in the eyes and said "I haven't worked that hard in months" after taking it out lmao.

So...I'm in a consulting role...for insurance.

I could either run an appointment today, the day before the surgery, when everything hurts and I feel awful, or the day after the surgery.

This is going to be a fun one.  At least I have the numbers on my side.

18 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It feels like Brian Bresee is being slept on a bit. I think he's in the conversation at 15. 

Elite athlete and HS recruit. Had his Sophomore and Junior seasons kinda spiral due to ACL injury/rehab and also the diagnosis and death of his younger sister to cancer. 

He's young, was productive when healthy. Had a very young break-out age.

The #1 thing that caught my eye was his matchup against Darnell Wright. He's the only guy I saw consistently win vs Wright. 

Bresee has a lot of things you can't teach, but is a flawed prospect. Will be curious to see where he goes. If you get good vibes from Brian Bresee the man, he's worth a top 15 pick easily.

i pounded the table for bresee in the forum big board. was a legit 5 start prospect out of high school with crazy twitch. still flashed it a few times junior year. off the acl. comp is jj watt if he puts it all together. 

the junior season was also disrupted by a kidney issue.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Honestly, despite the huge need at the position, I would be perfectly fine waiting until the 3rd-5th rounds to address TE and then I'd probably double down. A pairing of like Schoonmaker and Strange would be perfect and probably not that much different at the end of the day versus getting a Washington-LaPorta combo. There's just not enough difference there to take a TE too early. 

I'm actually starting to feel the same way about EDGE too. A lot of good players on Day 2 that probably won't end up being much different than the mid-round Day 1 guys. 

From a value standpoint, I think you really need to try to get either JSN or one of the top 3 OTs if you want to maximize the value of your No. 15 (or 13) pick. There are much bigger drop-offs there versus EDGE and TE. 

IRT OT, I think it would depend on how you feel about guys like Blake Freeland, Matthew Bergeron, Cody Mauch and Jaelyn Duncan. All of them should be in that 2nd to 3rd round range. Then you've got your day 3 projects or guys lowered by age or injuries throughout college like John Ojukwu, Jaxson Kirland, Warren McClendon, Earl Bostick Jr, Nick Saldiveri, etc. 

I could see this going multiple ways and, honestly, I'm at that point where I'd trade down and try to get more cracks at it. We're going to need cheap talent going forward and this is kind of the draft to do it. Obviously, as always, that depends on who is on the board at 15 but I'm leaning trade down and pick up another 2nd or multiple other picks. 

IRT TE, I feel the same way. Tucker Kraft, Luke Schoonmaker, Brenton Strange, Will Mallory, Josh Whyle, Jahleel Billingsley, Davis Allen, etc. All solid day 2 or 3 options. 

Gonna be a fun one to follow.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

IRT OT, I think it would depend on how you feel about guys like Blake Freeland, Matthew Bergeron, Cody Mauch and Jaelyn Duncan. All of them should be in that 2nd to 3rd round range. Then you've got your day 3 projects or guys lowered by age or injuries throughout college like John Ojukwu, Jaxson Kirland, Warren McClendon, Earl Bostick Jr, Nick Saldiveri, etc. 

I could see this going multiple ways and, honestly, I'm at that point where I'd trade down and try to get more cracks at it. We're going to need cheap talent going forward and this is kind of the draft to do it. Obviously, as always, that depends on who is on the board at 15 but I'm leaning trade down and pick up another 2nd or multiple other picks. 

IRT TE, I feel the same way. Tucker Kraft, Luke Schoonmaker, Brenton Strange, Will Mallory, Josh Whyle, Jahleel Billingsley, Davis Allen, etc. All solid day 2 or 3 options. 

Gonna be a fun one to follow.

i'm pretty much in the land of trade down as well. i don't see 4 qbs going in the top 12. 

13 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Problem with trading down is that everyone wants to do that.  Who is going to be looking at trading up and what are they going to trade up for?

if one of the top 4 qbs is still on the board, the commanders are right after us. lots of teams could look to jump them (lions, bucs, saints, raiders, falcons, titans, texans)

7 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

I won't lie; DL is a definite need going in, the trouble is anyone we draft for that spot is going to look like a bust as part of the GOATSE Defense.

DL class is pretty weak after like the top 5, maybe 6 guys (Carter, Bresee, Kancey, Smith, Benton and maybe Dexter). I guess that would also depend on how teams would try to use AA and Keion White (stand-up EDGE or hand in the dirt). All those guys will likely require a 1st or 2nd round selection.

The only other notable guys for me as of today are Zacch Pickens (6'3" 291, 9.16 RAS, 7.45 3 cone), Dante Stills (6'3" 286, 8.62 RAS, 7.38 3 cone), Moro Ojomo (6'2" 289, 9.10 RAS, 7.45 3 cone), Colby Wooden (6'4" 273, 9.26 RAS, 7.49 3 cone) or someone like Jaquelin Roy whose tape looks better than they tested. A lot of those guys might get over drafted due to their testing as well. So, if you want a DL, you're going to have to invest a premium pick into one otherwise it's unlikely you're getting a viable contributor down the line. Plus, DL is a spot that doesn't really translate to early success unless they're special.

• Like 2

Not sure if this has been posted, but Kincaid has been cleared to play by his doctor regarding his back.  He is expected to visit GB next week, and some other teams this week.  I'm sure the Packers will check out his back.

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

DL class is pretty weak after like the top 5, maybe 6 guys (Carter, Bresee, Kancey, Smith, Benton and maybe Dexter). I guess that would also depend on how teams would try to use AA and Keion White (stand-up EDGE or hand in the dirt). All those guys will likely require a 1st or 2nd round selection.

The only other notable guys for me as of today are Zacch Pickens (6'3" 291, 9.16 RAS, 7.45 3 cone), Dante Stills (6'3" 286, 8.62 RAS, 7.38 3 cone), Moro Ojomo (6'2" 289, 9.10 RAS, 7.45 3 cone), Colby Wooden (6'4" 273, 9.26 RAS, 7.49 3 cone) or someone like Jaquelin Roy whose tape looks better than they tested. A lot of those guys might get over drafted due to their testing as well. So, if you want a DL, you're going to have to invest a premium pick into one otherwise it's unlikely you're getting a viable contributor down the line. Plus, DL is a spot that doesn't really translate to early success unless they're special.

Roy caught my attention the other day, too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Roy caught my attention the other day, too.

Didn't test well but he's someone that collapses the pocket from the interior pretty damn well. If you have that ability to disrupt the QB, even without getting the sacks, you're my kind of DT. He's not perfect but he's got the knack for it. Only started one season at LSU so I think there's room for development. Turns 23 in October.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HokieHigh said:

if one of the top 4 qbs is still on the board, the commanders are right after us. lots of teams could look to jump them (lions, bucs, saints, raiders, falcons, titans, texans)

Agreed.  the chance for trade down opportunity goes up significantly if a QB is left on the board.  Absent that it doesn't seem likely.