Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

In my opinion, the only pass catcher worthy of a first round selection in this draft class is JSN.  And even then, I am not over the moon in love with him.  Just because we NEED pass catchers doesn't really justify reaching to take one.  If the season started before the draft, you would see production from the guys that we have, more targets -> more production.  Are we going to get the most efficient production from Nick Guggemos and Jeff Cotton? Probably not.  But, they will get yards, and probably TDs, if they get enough targets.  

So, is Jalin Hyatt better than Jeff Cotton?  Most likely.  But are we willing to skip out on say LVN or Darnell Wright for Hyatt? I am not.  

I've paid less attention to this draft than any in a long time....and I highly doubt we use 15 on a WR. Thats not an assessment of the talent....just my feel on the organization's drafting traits.

1 hour ago, Hugh_Mann said:

As I remember it, some were angry that the Pack traded back out of the 1st round and did not pick the guy they wanted to be picked ... so in short, they booed because they were wrong

I think it was the Wisconsin TE.  His name was Daton Kinkad or something like that...  :P 

The sentiment also was that we just drafted Jennings, and Jones, and had Driver, and passed on Moss a season prior only to get some kid from K-State.

Just now, Leader said:

I've paid less attention to this draft than any in a long time....and I highly doubt we use 15 on a WR. Thats not an assessment of the talent....just my feel on the organization's drafting traits.

I think you have the correct read on the Packers.  If we also look at the types of pass catchers this group tends to bring in, only one of the more highly rated players fits the mold, and that is Quentin Johnston.  The rest of the more highly touted guys are shorter and lighter than the typical Packers WR.  And I am going with the assumption that the draft nerds know something about what the draft order should wind up being, and we aren't taking a guy that the sites have ranked 120th at pick 15.  

I think there are plenty of good WRs to be had in this draft.  But that value comes later in the draft, in my opinion.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

Yeah I agree. I'd also think Gute's big focus this draft is finding guys to replace the more expensive contracts on this roster. Bakh, A.Jones, Preston are all good players, but are expensive and this team still needs to trim cap space going into 2024.

43 minutes ago, Leader said:

That's a fair conclusion to come to, but just remember that last year many of us would have said the same about off-ball linebackers and 24 year old rookies in the first.

Edited by Sandy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Hugh_Mann said:

As I remember it, some were angry that the Pack traded back out of the 1st round and did not pick the guy they wanted to be picked ... so in short, they booed because they were wrong

I remember being mad that TT traded out with New England with Chad Jackson on the board, I believe that's his name at least. Florida wr. Patriots ended up taking him and we took some guy named Craig Jennings and I realized I don't know ****.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I agree with this to an extent, but I think those traits could (and probably should) change somewhat based on the new reality at QB.  I just don't know that JSN is a player that is likely to break those traits. 

That being said, I'm quite sure that the bulk of this board would have been against the idea of drafting Jefferson at #15 had the team been in position to do so.  I don't expect GB to take JSN at #15.  If they do, I think I'll probably be satisfied with the return on investment.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

your-words-not-mine.gif

hahahaha 😁

I'm aware I don't know **** about college players. I only watch the Utes and big games.  I just wish more people were as honest. 

Always Sunny Thumbs Up GIF

Edited by PackFan13

1 minute ago, PackFan13 said:

I'm aware I don't know **** about college players. I only watch the Utes and big games.  I just wish more people were as honest. 

Always Sunny Thumbs Up GIF

That is why I do my best to try to put "I think" in most of my draft talk.  If anyone actually knew it all, they would be a GM already.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

That is why I do my best to try to put "I think" in most of my draft talk.  If anyone actually knew it all, they would be a GM already.

I almost went to school for Sports Management but I didn't want to go to school in Pennsylvania lol. My dream was becoming an AD or GM.

8 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I almost went to school for Sports Management but I didn't want to go to school in Pennsylvania lol. My dream was becoming an AD or GM.

I think that being at the highest level at those jobs would be great.  But I don't think I could handle the amount of brown nosing that I would have to do on the way up.  Or that I wouldn't be a bit annoyed at having to watch some 3A high school football in Albany NY on my Friday nights as a new scout.  Or that I put in the hard work just to see Elliot Wolf and Todd Haley getting jobs because of who they know.

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think that being at the highest level at those jobs would be great.  But I don't think I could handle the amount of brown nosing that I would have to do on the way up.  Or that I wouldn't be a bit annoyed at having to watch some 3A high school football in Albany NY on my Friday nights as a new scout.  Or that I put in the hard work just to see Elliot Wolf and Todd Haley getting jobs because of who they know.

Honestly, there are a multitude of paths to take with that degree. I almost got lucky and did it without having to take the major. When I was in college, I was lined up to become an assistant Sports Information Director at 21 years old and becoming full-time staff at the school. Unfortunately, I left the school due to personal issues before it could happen. Definitely live with that regret almost daily.

I'm not sure about that Zay Flower drop number.  Boston College's quarterbacking was DIRE; he went back to school for his senior year to finish his degree. I'm not sure how you measure drops when the QB play is so erratic.

Like I know what it means for Hyatt or JSN since Hooker or Stroud were able to put the ball where they want it, something I do not believe is true about Phil Jurkovec.