Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

9 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I think Hyatt at 45 could bring a lot to the offense just by lining up.  The question is, do you want more than what he brings? Are you looking for a more complete WR?

But I will counter with the question, what does he bring to the table that we don't already have in Christian Watson? 

24 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

He's not plodding whatsoever IMO. He has really really nice feet on the field. I was pleasantly surprised rewatching him how smooth he is in short area. I think he's especially good at releases from inline.

Coming back to him after watching a bunch of other TEs made it really really obvious to me he's the best TE in this class (and it doesn't even feel that close to me at this point).

I think he's probably a great personality fit as well. 

I just see a plodder. Man does he look like he's got concrete in his cleats to me. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

But I will counter with the question, what does he bring to the table that we don't already have in Christian Watson? 

Speed on the other side of Watson to occupy both safeties for the run game.  It will open up some of the underneath stuff more as well.  But again, you might want a more complete WR who can do all the routes.  Hyatt isn't real big so he may not meet their WR "Threshold". 

Exercise for y'all...

Rank your top 5 players in this draft that would help Love the most in 2022. And why.

My list:

(1) Michael Mayer. He would be a day 1 starter at our weakest position.

(2) JSN. He would be a day 1 contributor at slot. He's behind Mayer for me due to current roster depth. I think our staff is REALLY high on the Watson/Doubs duo, but JSN would step in immediately on slot snaps.

(3) Darnell Washington. Same reasoning as Mayer, but Washington won't offer the same receiving threat immediately as Mayer. I think Washington has some real ability here, but he's not as polished. But he's a day 1 starter/contributor at TE.

(4) Zay Flowers. I think long-term he's the second best value on this list behind only Wright below. He'd step in at slot immediately and add more juice to this offense. I think he's a tick behind JSN on day 1, however.

(5) Darnell Wright + Yosh Nijman trade. Wright is the best long-term value in this group, but I think the other 3 offer more of a day 1 improvement over their replacements. But I think the added value of trading Nijman boosts the value Wright would add by locking down the RT spot.

Just now, incognito_man said:

Exercise for y'all...

Rank your top 5 players in this draft that would help Love the most in 2022. And why.

My list:

(2) JSN. He would be a day 1 contributor at slot. He's behind Mayer for me due to current roster depth. I think our staff is REALLY high on the Watson/Doubs duo, but JSN would step in immediately on slot snaps.

(3) Darnell Washington. Same reasoning as Mayer, but Washington won't offer the same receiving threat immediately as Mayer. I think Washington has some real ability here, but he's not as polished. But he's a day 1 starter/contributor at TE.

(4) Zay Flowers. I think long-term he's the second best value on this list behind only Wright below. He'd step in at slot immediately and add more juice to this offense. I think he's a tick behind JSN on day 1, however.

(5) Darnell Wright + Yosh Nijman trade. Wright is the best long-term value in this group, but I think the other 3 offer more of a day 1 improvement over their replacements. But I think the added value of trading Nijman boosts the value Wright would add by locking down the RT spot.

Probably the list of players I’d have too but would also have the OSU tackle up there if he’s available.

one area where we differ is I’d have Washington much higher than Mayer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Exercise for y'all...

My list:

1) bijan

2) skoronski at guard

3) corey davis

4) washington

5) qj

• Like 1

Just now, Arthur Penske said:

Probably the list of players I’d have too but would also have the OSU tackle up there if he’s available.

one area where we differ is I’d have Washington much higher than Mayer. 

Paris would be ahead of Wright but probably the same spot on list above. OT would be a future pick. I'd run to the podium with his name if he's there, though. Top 3 non-QB in this draft IMO.

My current top 10 value:

1. Bryce Young

2. Anthony Richardson

3. Paris Johnson

4. Will Anderson

5. CJ Stroud

6. Tyree Wilson

7. Christian Gonzalez

8. Devon Witherspoon

9. Darnell Wright

10. Myles Murphy 

(I don't have Jalen Carter on my board. I'm not interested in a guy who thinks it's ok to race against an obviously drunk colleague/friend at over 100mph)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

1) bijan

2) skoronski at guard

3) corey davis

4) washington

5) qj

I thought about Skoronski at guard as well. Just think the others offer more of an improvement. I don't think Bijan is even better than Aaron Jones day 1. If we didn't have Jones, Bijan would be a lot higher on my list.

I thought about Skoronski at guard as well. Just think the others offer more of an improvement. I don't think Bijan is even better than Aaron Jones day 1. If we didn't have Jones, Bijan would be a lot higher on my list.

Isn’t Jones very likely gone after this season? And perhaps AJ too.

Aaron jones is a legit top 5 rb in the league, but he isnt even going to carry 250 times. I think aj dillon could carry 150, and we could still have 100-200 carries for bijan. 

Legit run and PA threat on every single down less than 3rd and 6. 

Just now, Arthur Penske said:

Possibly for sure. I'm looking purely at Love's first year though in this exercise. My big board overall at pick 15 wouldn't be my list above. 

But it's a consideration. I'm confident that setting Love up for success in 2022 are priorities 1, 2 and 3. But definitely with an eye for the future as well. 

If I'm Gute, I run to the podium at 15 if there's a premium (OT or WR) that I also think helps Love day 1. Otherwise I take an EDGE if I have a stud left on my board there. 

3 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Aaron jones is a legit top 5 rb in the league, but he isnt even going to carry 250 times. I think aj dillon could carry 150, and we could still have 100-200 carries for bijan. 

Legit run and PA threat on every single down less than 3rd and 6. 

I like Bijan a lot, but not sure he even cracks my top 20-25 for 2022 top potential contributors.

43 minutes ago, craig said:

To some degree, I feel like TE is as or more "figure-it-out" a position as any in the game.  Small nuances, instinct, feel, nano-second decision-making, on-field intelligence and decision-making.  Being able to run to a spot quickly, or to break away from a linebacker, those pure combine measurables are valuable for sure.  And the physical capacity to bend and to make sharp cuts and stuff, 3-cone kinds of COD, that's real.  The power to stop a pass-rusher, that's real.  So for sure, physical/athletic capacity is hugely important, I'm not questioning that one bit.  

But I kinda feel like there are a lot of instinct/nuance/football-smarts factors that enable guys with unexceptional RAS to be pretty effective TE, and that in other cases prevent some guys with great measurables from being very good.  

I think he's clearly the best and most ready to play, plus he's a solid athlete.  He's a super safe player, and checks all the boxes if you are looking for a #1 TE.  He'd start from day one in GB.  I'm not sure he's #15 good, but he won't make it out of round one.  

22 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I bet they are both back next year.  Jones is a guy they will want to keep around, and he'll probably do what's is needed to stay.  I would think Dillon will be pretty affordable to resign.