Packers Rashan Gary believed to have torn ACL; Undergoing MRI

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, GHARMON9 said:

I don't understand this comment at all.

Every single person I've played with that's tore a ligament or tendon is never the same. 

I've torn my labrum and meniscus. You're much more likely to reinjure that area and your overall longevity is reduced. I just hit thirty and I'm REALLY starting to feel it. 

Bahk, Jenkins, and Tonyan all look like lesser versions of their selves. 

@squire12 can weigh in here, but if it's a clean ACL, the risk is relatively low of it ever being an issue during the rest of his career here.

8 hours ago, incognito_man said:

@squire12 can weigh in here, but if it's a clean ACL, the risk is relatively low of it ever being an issue during the rest of his career here.

there are many factors to consider in the discussion.  lets work from the assumption that the ACL injury is just that and no meniscus tear or 2nd ligament injury

1. recovery from the ACL reconstruction surgery is fairly straight forward.  long term, the new ACL will provide stability and reduce the risk of potential injury to other structures due to that restored knee stability... BUT
    1. even with improved knee stability, it is not perfect (nothing is relative to the original mechanics and native ACL) and micro instability will exist.  this in turn will eventually lead to abnormal forces on the other structures... meniscus and articular cartilage (cartilage on the end of the bone)
  2. despite the advances in surgery, rehab and other aspects of medicine, the actual forces that are withstood during the ACL injury event starts a clock that will eventually  lead to knee arthritis in upwards of 30-50+% of patients in 10-20 years.  (hard to do really good long term research on the likelihood).  why is this???
    1. the mechanism that results in an ACL tearing causes such high joint compression forces isolated to smaller areas (due to the knee moving side ways).  this leads to bone and cartilage bruising.  
      1. bruising causes alterations/disruption in blood supply to the articular cartilage and subchondral bone.  lack of blood supply is not a good thing as that leads to tissue breakdown and deterioration
  3. now, add onto that, doing the surgery is another round of "trauma" to the internal environment of the knee AND the subsequent rehab over the course of 9+ months is a continuous stress on the knee and those recovering bone and cartilage bruises. 
    1. running, jumping, high load strength training are all stressful activities to those structures.  so that could be an added accelerant to the eventual development of knee arthritis.  

Consider that playing in the NFL requires a lot of the running, jumping, high load strength training for a player such as Rashan Gary, the long term outlook for his career arc can best be viewed as negatively impacted with the ACL injury vs if it never happened.  

https://www.jorgechahlamd.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/ACL-OA-2.pdf  incidence of knee OA following ACL surgery

https://www.arthritis.org/health-wellness/about-arthritis/related-conditions/physical-effects/acl-injuries-and-arthritis

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Toddfather said:

The condition of some of the fields in the league are just crap. With all the money the league has you would think they could come up with the logistics to have standard grass fields for all the teams.

Ignoring the obvious answer of "Why pay when you don't have to?", there are a few elements in play which render 'standard' field maintenance to be an impossible balance. The most obvious being conditions in Green Bay are far from similar to the conditions in, say, Los Angeles or Miami. Lambeau Field's turf isn't going to be pristine or green like it is down south late in the season. The other involves the usage of said fields by outside groups. We no longer have venues in the NFL that are used by Baseball Franchises(the Raiders were the last), but some at the very least are used for College Bowl games, if not by actual College Teams, as well as MLS franchises, to say nothing of stuff like International Sports and non-Sports events such as concerts and the like.

That's not to say the NFL couldn't boost groundskeeping proficiency with a direct hand(which is in itself a hidden factor that most people would laugh about), but they can't work miracles. There would still be a bottom-tier collection of fields that players and fans would dislike, if only because the upkeep won't iron out all the problems.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Zycho32 said:

Ignoring the obvious answer of "Why pay when you don't have to?", there are a few elements in play which render 'standard' field maintenance to be an impossible balance. The most obvious being conditions in Green Bay are far from similar to the conditions in, say, Los Angeles or Miami. Lambeau Field's turf isn't going to be pristine or green like it is down south late in the season. The other involves the usage of said fields by outside groups. We no longer have venues in the NFL that are used by Baseball Franchises(the Raiders were the last), but some at the very least are used for College Bowl games, if not by actual College Teams, as well as MLS franchises, to say nothing of stuff like International Sports and non-Sports events such as concerts and the like.

That's not to say the NFL couldn't boost groundskeeping proficiency with a direct hand(which is in itself a hidden factor that most people would laugh about), but they can't work miracles. There would still be a bottom-tier collection of fields that players and fans would dislike, if only because the upkeep won't iron out all the problems.

Yeah I doubt it would be an "easy" task but I'm sure more can be done. Your point about college use is definitely legit. USF plays at Ray Jay and I remember Aaron bringing up the state of the field when he suffered his calf injury. Turf is probably not as torn up if not being played on so much. We just saw in the England game they switched out their field for European football so our NFL teams didn't ruin it lol. I think if the players were smart they would include it in the collective bargaining. 

54 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

Yeah I doubt it would be an "easy" task but I'm sure more can be done. Your point about college use is definitely legit. USF plays at Ray Jay and I remember Aaron bringing up the state of the field when he suffered his calf injury. Turf is probably not as torn up if not being played on so much. We just saw in the England game they switched out their field for European football so our NFL teams didn't ruin it lol. I think if the players were smart they would include it in the collective bargaining. 

How many NFL own there stadium vs a lease from the city?  

May be more stakeholders than just the NFL.

4 hours ago, squire12 said:

How many NFL own there stadium vs a lease from the city?  

May be more stakeholders than just the NFL.

I would assume the owners still pay the lease? I'm just saying it was interesting the way European football handled us playing on their field(s) vs how the NFL does. Maybe the injury risk isn't even that crazy vs grass, but it's something to look into. I mean do they want to pay some of these guys on IR when all it takes is literally taking care of the field surface they play on?

20 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

I would assume the owners still pay the lease? I'm just saying it was interesting the way European football handled us playing on their field(s) vs how the NFL does. Maybe the injury risk isn't even that crazy vs grass, but it's something to look into. I mean do they want to pay some of these guys on IR when all it takes is literally taking care of the field surface they play on?

NFL teams are paying the players whether they are on IR or not.  The cost of the replacement is probably not enough to drive the process for owners to invest in changing the turf (assuming that it would be beneficial in reducing injuries).  

Were you sick of watching the Packers fail to get pressure by rushing 4 or 5 DL and not disguising any kind of pressure while playing soft zone coverage and not knowing how to defend the middle of the field because Rodgers never throws there even in practice?

Just wait until you see that exact same thing except without Gary.

Coming to television for only eight more weeks…

Joe Barry.